Login |  Register |  FAQ

So I finally got a Steam Gargant...

Post subject: So I finally got a Steam Gargant...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have wanted one of these since I first saw it on GW's site back in the day, but it got pulled before I could buy it. I have regularly seen them go for well over $100 USD on Ebay over the years, so didn't pursue it. I just finally won one on ebay for about $60 MIB, and I have to admit I really like the guy. Especially for that price. It looks more practical being on treads than feet, and it looks great with my other Epic 40k gargants. I am just using it as a standard gargant, not specifically a 'feral ork steam gargant'.

I don't play Epic A, but has anyone else played one of these in a game? Just wondering how well these play compared to other gargants.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: So I finally got a Steam Gargant...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:10 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I've never faced a single, only twins and triplets. In numbers they're good to really good for the points. Tougher than IG SHTs but less shooty. Their crit is a bit over the top. It makes assaults then an even riskier proposition.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I field three of them every time as they are the Feral Ork's only real source of fire power. At three strong, they have a total of 12 DC worth of 4+ RA armor and it's hard to argue with their 12 BP worth of Macro Weapon at 60cm with no fire arcs. Plus 3 x 5+ Macro Weapon shots at 45cm with AA ability to boot!

The crit that destroys them can even be a benefit. My three Gargants were assaulted by a bunch of Space Wolves with attack bikes in support. I missed with a bunch of CC and FF attacks, but my opponent rolled a crit on the center Gargant and it blew up with enough range (2 x d6cm) to auto hit even his FF support units. I was able to kill enough that I won the combat resolution and broke several formations. Not bad if you have to lose one!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:44 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Mini-wise, the steam gargant along with the ork battlefortress, mk3 warlord titan and eldar revenants are what inspired me to get back into epic ~7 years ago, superb mini full of character, I'm hoping to get my trio painted up in the next year or so...

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I very much like the Steam Gargant model. Which like a lot of models released with E40K it is very nice. Especially compared to some of the SM2/TL #&*^@( ! they released ! >:( :(

And I'm in complete agreement with the tracks on that model and many of the other Ork E40K Stompas, etc. The feet were so very "dumb" to me. ;D I may have to go back and replace my original Gargants' "feetz" with tracks ! ;D

However, mine is still in the box, awaiting assembly & painting, etc., . So I can't tell you how it performs on the gaming table ... ^-^

Attachments:
Iz got an Idea'r !.gif
Iz got an Idea'r !.gif [ 2.34 KiB | Viewed 2752 times ]