Login |  Register |  FAQ

[Rules] Overwatch - please explain

Post subject: [Rules] Overwatch - please explain
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi,
I play E:A quite a long time. Some rules eluded me... this time Overwatch. Please correct me if I am wrong:

When you are on Overwatch you can shoot at enemies during there move. If you do it you cannot activate the unit the turn you shoot. That is pretty clear so far. However, if you don't shoot, do you have to activate them? Or can you stay on overwatch?

Thanks,
Castorp

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: [Rules] Overwatch - please explain
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:25 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I haven't got the rulebook in front of me, but I believe there's a section explaining that, if you ever have only formations on overwatch left to activate, you can choose not to activate any of them and instean end your turn and pass control over to the other player.

In this way, you can leave any formation already on overwatch, on overwatch for next turn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:35 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That's interesting. I actually looked for that section, but couldn't really find it. Is it not mandatory to activate a formation?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:29 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Last paragraph of 1.10: http://www.tp.net-armageddon.org/tourna ... #overwatch

Quote:
Formations remain on overwatch until they either shoot, or they undertake a new action in the following turn. Note that this means that a unit can go into overwatch on one turn, and not shoot until the following turn. Shooting in the following turn counts as your action for that turn, and will stop the formation taking an action later on. If the formation does not shoot in the following turn then it may take an action instead of shooting.

It is mandatory to activate a formation, but as using a formation's overwatch counts as its action you don't need to activate it.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh, I have read this paragraph quite a few times. Couldn't get this reasoning out of the paragraph. It does not say anything about what you are supposed to do when you did not shoot. Or is it the "may" that allows you to not take an action?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
Formations remain on overwatch until they either shoot, or they undertake a new action in the following turn. Note that this means that a unit can go into overwatch on one turn, and not shoot until the following turn. Shooting in the following turn counts as your action for that turn, and will stop the formation taking an action later on. If the formation does not shoot in the following turn then it may take an action instead of shooting.

It is mandatory to activate every formation that is on the table although the overwatch rule does allow a formation to stay on overwatch if it has not fired.
Your formation is allowed to remain on overwatch if it has not fired.
In the following turn it is still allowed to remain on overwatch if it has not fired or you can take a different action to replace the overwatch action.
There are a few stipulations that stop you from remaining on overwatch into the next turn, these are covered in the FAQ

Quote:
1.10 Overwatch

Q. Can a formation on overwatch use its overwatch fire when it is not a legal formation?
A. Yes, the requirement to be a legal formation is only when the formation is taking an overwatch action. However, it could not choose to remain on overwatch as it would have to move back into a legal formation.
Q. Can a formation on overwatch use its overwatch fire when it is in the zone of control of an enemy formation.
A. Yes, as it is not taking an action when shooting while on overwatch. However, it could not choose to remain on overwatch as it would have to charge the enemy or leave its zone of control.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thank you!