Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Tabletop - A 3d Tabletop Wargame Simulator

Post subject: Re: Tabletop - A 3d Tabletop Wargame Simulator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Not as yet, my next scheduled game is in a few weeks, when PFE100 is free next.

Anyone fancy a game over the weekend? I'll be working otherwise but could have free time day or evening (New Zealand time).

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:39 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I have a new computer and I'd be willing to try again at some point. Probably next week or the week after.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'll probably get it fired up on Sunday - cramming for an infinity tournament this weekend!

Post subject: Tabletop - A 3d Tabletop Wargame Simulator
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok, just got it fired up and it really is very good - love the way they change angle over the hills, love the animated rivers, the trenches are really cool. Can't wait to play on it again soon.

One minor, and it really is very minor thing, is that because the miniatures are reacting to the height of the terrain that they're placed on it can make putting them down in woods a bit weird as they will site on top of the trees. Far better than the alternative but could potentially be a bit weird if you need to place troop on the border of some woodland. If there was a way of getting the trees to act how they used to (I may be remembering it wrong, but I don't remember there being any issues with the trees before) that would be perfect. If that's just a PITA, then don't stress about it - this version is a definite improvement!!!

Edit: junction and end pieces for the trenches would also be very cool.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Anyone played a game recently?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Played the first turn of a game last night with the plan to play the rest tomorrow night. Good to see the new scenery :) There are some issues though.

Did you do something to make the flames more translucent? (maybe adjusting the lighting generally?) We use flames as blast markers so they get used loads. They weren't the clearest to begin with, but you used to be able to see them ok. Now they seem to be less visible and it's really quite hard to tell how many BMs formations have.

The tilting definitely needs work. Models placed in woods or on other models now rotate extremely sideways and from the normal from above camera angle you just see a side on base:
Also, for some reason when a group of models are selected and being moved around they start rotating in mid air like they're all dancing too and it looks quite comical.

Moving a group of models seems to work fine for the hosting player but has twice caused the game to crash when the non-hosting player tried to use it (requiring a game reboot). As the non-hosting player I've just given up on it and gone back to moving models individually.

I think you're a bit unclear on trenchworks - what you've labelled as a bunker is actually a model of a large gun emplacement (the large sort designed for a basilisk/medua/AA platform to fit into). Could you keep it and rename it but make a model for an actual bunker too please? See here for a picture of a a FW epic bunker which fits the stats. FW made two versions of the bunker, one connected up to a defence line and the other seperate and on it's own. Model the seperate version as it can be placed on it's own on the table, but the best photo I googled up just happened to be of the other sort. A small gun emplacement would be handy for smaller artillery like quad guns, ect too - see here for a picture.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

GlynG wrote:
Did you do something to make the flames more translucent? (maybe adjusting the lighting generally?) We use flames as blast markers so they get used loads. They weren't the clearest to begin with, but you used to be able to see them ok. Now they seem to be less visible and it's really quite hard to tell how many BMs formations have.

No changes to the flames, some minor changes to the lighting to incorporate shadows, nothing that should affect the appearance of the flames.

GlynG wrote:
The tilting definitely needs work. Models placed in woods or on other models now rotate extremely sideways and from the normal from above camera angle you just see a side on base:
Also, for some reason when a group of models are selected and being moved around they start rotating in mid air like they're all dancing too and it looks quite comical.

Yeah, there are issues with the tilting, and they're pretty tricky to resolve. I've not had them rotating in mid air unless you have multiple models stacked on top of each other (which caused problems before too).

GlynG wrote:
Moving a group of models seems to work fine for the hosting player but has twice caused the game to crash when the non-hosting player tried to use it (requiring a game reboot). As the non-hosting player I've just given up on it and gone back to moving models individually.

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this issue.

GlynG wrote:
I think you're a bit unclear on trenchworks - what you've labelled as a bunker is actually a model of a large gun emplacement

I think they're generic enough to be used as either, and gun emplacements can be fairly easily built from sandbags etc.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:59 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Just tried to get this running, I can get as far as a new game (table, skybox etc load), but none of the controls work, aside from moving camera (mouse to screen edge work). Can't click any buttons (with trackpad or mouse) or use any other keyboard controls (A/Z zoom etc).

unrelated: tried to get it running in crossover (a gaming orientated WINE implementation for osx) but that hangs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Can have a go of it on Saturday if someone points me at the files.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:03 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
Just tried to get this running, I can get as far as a new game (table, skybox etc load), but none of the controls work, aside from moving camera (mouse to screen edge work). Can't click any buttons (with trackpad or mouse) or use any other keyboard controls (A/Z zoom etc).

I downloaded this recently and had the same issue. Does the program have issues with certain systems? (I used to have it run fine on an old windows laptop (I think it was Windows 7?), my current laptop has Windows 8- but the version of Tabletop has also changed in that time).
Sorry if this has been covered before- it's hard to find info with this many pages.

Post subject: Tabletop - A 3d Tabletop Wargame Simulator
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So, I certainly have it working flawlessly on a new MacBook Pro using crossover. Basically treat it as though it were quake live, Google crossover and quake live should see you right.

http://www.taccmd.tacticalwargames.net/ ... &start=270

I had issues running it on windows 8 running under a virtual machine, sounds like these might be windows 8 related now though? I seem to remember it was a combination of a mouse integration config setting I think and it didn't seem happy in fullscreen mode de in the VM either.

Crossover seems very easy to use and definitely works for me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm running it on windows 8 without and problem.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

zombocom wrote:
GlynG wrote:

Yeah, there are issues with the tilting, and they're pretty tricky to resolve. I've not had them rotating in mid air unless you have multiple models stacked on top of each other (which caused problems before too).

If there are tricky problems to fix the tilting can I suggest you scrap the idea of tilting and go back to models being flat?

I use top down camera angles the majority of the time and it's easier to see what the models are if they're flat anyway (and easier to see in screenshots for battle reports). You really need to do something to fix the current rotation as it makes things frustrating and unclear.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

GlynG wrote:
If there are tricky problems to fix the tilting can I suggest you scrap the idea of tilting and go back to models being flat?

Yeah, that's probably for the best. Sigh :'(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next