Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next

GW/FW Ending SG (was: GW Night Spinners no longer available)

Post subject: Re: GW/FW Ending SG (was: GW Night Spinners no longer availa
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So got my last package (some land speeders, nothing special) this weekend. Walked in to the Games Workshop store where they were delivered and the guy behind the counter says " umm yeah epic...land speeders?" and hands them over. I was hoping for the up sell ("Need paints, brushes, glue, a Tau Riptide?") but nothing. Was very anti climatic for a final GW purchase ever. Not with a bang but a whimper. Have mixed feelings about this I must say.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What the heck happened with my last post? My phone's autocorrect did some seriously weird stuff with inserting extra words.

Again: "Ebay prices are up, true, but so is selection. I just checked ebay, and there is an extra 30 percent more stuff there than nominal. There are also lots of entire armies up for sale, instead of the usual bits and pieces. I guess lots are thinking it's time to cash in. (My numbes are for the US site, the UK site always has lots more."

And to continue, the number of entries on e-bay for Epic stuff is even larger today. I saw 450 items for sale in the US today, when normally I see slightly less than 300.

I guess high prices are all bad, if the prospect draws out some rare items I haven't been able to find before. (Mind you, I may still hope for a re-list with reduced price!)

-Allen McCarley

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

caregadras wrote:
Ok, I'll finish to wait an answer like: "Hey!! All is back!"
I give up.

:nooo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6vnoKxjNow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPlhKP0nZII

I'm often listening to music at my workplace, but today I forgot my USB drive and couldn't. When I clicked on your link and got Mozart requiem, I thought "why not ?" and let it run through my headphone, browsing GW website with the mass for the dead as a background (yes, I didn't have much to do this morning, and I was pondering if getting some otherwise OOP miniatures could be worth the price and shipping from GW AUS).

About an hour later, as browsing goes, I find myself on E&C indiegogo campaign page when suddenly, the requiem end and my hearing is submerged in thunderous applause and wooting ! What a timing :D

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Athmospheric wrote:
About an hour later, as browsing goes, I find myself on E&C indiegogo campaign page when suddenly, the requiem end and my hearing is submerged in thunderous applause and wooting ! What a timing :D

DEUS VULT!
;D

Orkonia: http://goo.gl/j6Q3v
Hive Cassius: http://goo.gl/vJSxA

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, theres no point sulking over GW putting the final nail in the coffin. I see thjis as a wonderfull opportunity for the epic community to create something truly... epic! :-)

I think in less than a year you can probably get a hold of most miniatures one way or the other.

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

One minor thing that is grating on my nerves that came about due to this situation is the forum thread about the subject over on Warseer. There is this one poster over there that acts like he has some sort of inside info and keeps going on and on about how poorly SG products sold and how the blame for that is lack of interest. It drives me crazy that I can't post over there because of their weird rules for new members.

I guess it's for the best, though, because arguing on the Internet is like being in the special Olympics, and all that.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

semajnollissor wrote:
One minor thing that is grating on my nerves that came about due to this situation is the forum thread about the subject over on Warseer. There is this one poster over there that acts like he has some sort of inside info and keeps going on and on about how poorly SG products sold and how the blame for that is lack of interest. It drives me crazy that I can't post over there because of their weird rules for new members.

I guess it's for the best, though, because arguing on the Internet is like being in the special Olympics, and all that.

He's probably right. Compared to the main games SG products sold tiny amounts even at their heights.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

semajnollissor wrote:

I'll look for it and see if I can't stir up a Special Olympics Hornet's Nest. I have an account on Warseer, and I could care less if they pull it out from under me. Warseer forums suck badly.

Tau Empire, Mymeara Eldar, Tallarn Desert Raiders

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The baby hulkamania guy? I check in on that thread every now and then and can't believe he has the spare time to keep posting in that one thread.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:43 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Evil and Chaos wrote:
semajnollissor wrote:

He's probably right. Compared to the main games SG products sold tiny amounts even at their heights.

What good old Yabbadabba (ex GW CEO :{[] ) makes out is that SGs failed, given that they vastly exceeded their target sales I don't see how he can say that. Just GW changed plans so a niche product wasn't supported anymore in favour of the mainstream ranges.

Also that JJ hated the whole development process and it never produced anything, which again ignores the actual facts of what happened.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

splash wrote:
semajnollissor wrote:

I'll look for it and see if I can't stir up a Special Olympics Hornet's Nest. I have an account on Warseer, and I could care less if they pull it out from under me. Warseer forums suck badly.

Meh, I read some posts and changed my mind about intervening. Not worth it. They can believe what they want to, and believe their own tripe.

Tau Empire, Mymeara Eldar, Tallarn Desert Raiders

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:11 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

they just went with the area where the most money is at.... it's sad and wrong for a company which apparently cares so much about its hobbyists, but GW has a duty to its shareholders to fleece as much cash out of the pockets of teenage boys as possible, this seems best served by selling them a gazillion slightly different flavours of space marine and a set of rules which makes everything obsolete every 5 years..... IMO if the line was profitable, which it seems it was, then GW should have spun out a dedicated 'specilist games' company in the vein of forgeworld who could have supported the games, and produced new content and miniatures in line with the main company's output.... if it failed, it failed, but with GW's overheads and business model, the SGs were always on borrowed time when in effect they were direct competitors with GW's primary games

for me though, I'm busy planning my Tau, exclusively using awesome DRM vehicles, and may do a squat army made up of EW khazari..... not to mention making warmaster armies with minis from Kallistra, Pendraken, Copplestone and TBLine... GWs loss is someone else's gain!

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains has it right - the SG's were profitable. Just not profitable enough.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Steve54 wrote:
Evil and Chaos wrote:

What good old Yabbadabba (ex GW CEO :{[] ) makes out is that SGs failed, given that they vastly exceeded their target sales I don't see how he can say that. Just GW changed plans so a niche product wasn't supported anymore in favour of the mainstream ranges.

Also that JJ hated the whole development process and it never produced anything, which again ignores the actual facts of what happened.

Yeah, that's the one. Claiming the game failed to generate the necessary revenue isn't something I can refute, but claiming it didn't generate revenue due to lack of interest is, at best, only one guy's opinion, and at worst, a gross distortion of the truth to further said one guy's agenda of portraying himself as the one true expert on the subject.

I have a better memory than most, and I clearly remember why no one at my local game store got into Epic: Armageddon when it was released:
1) They doubted GWs continued commitment to the game. If initial sales of E:A hadn't been so good, I'd have blamed this as being a self-fulfilling prophesy.
2) The local store refused to carry it because they could only buy SG product as 'bitz,' which had a signifcantly smaller profit margin (and they had only dumped the last of the dusty E:40k stuff about a year prior).
3) The closest GW store didn't carry SG products either, and only let you play them on 'special' nights.
4) After 1 or 2 mentions in White Dwarf, GW made no attempt to advertise it.

SG could have been self-sustaining if GW had allowed it. I just wonder what kind of dirt the guys who run Forgeworld have on the upper management of GW, because the arguement that SG simply didn't make enough money applies to FW, too.

Anyway, The Real Chris gave about the best response in that warseer thread, so I doubt I could have added anything better. I really just wanted to vent.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Personally I think the community may look back in 5 years time and see the end of GW support as the best thing to ever happen to Epic - or at least 6mm Scifi gaming. Virtually ignoring its SG range doesn't seem to have done too much harm in the last 10 years anyway ! :D

I grew up often playing games created by players my local club - GW was the new kid on the block for them (and hated for it obviously.) I very much see forums like Taccoms completing the circle in which control of the hobby by the big players (GW/FF/WoTC/WW etc) will be seen as a temp blip when the hobby got a big boost then strangulation by corporate investment. After all Epic was written by the community with just a little herding by JJ. The next (current) generation of JJs just won't need the job title - technology will give them the inspiration/design/production/reach/marketing/outlets/feedback that once required massive capital investment. Look at DZC - one guy did that whole thing ! Everything !!

Quality will out.

In the bigger picture GW is going the way of large record companies, publishing houses, news channels, etc. Its IP is gradually being eroded and that is swiftly becoming its only USP - GW is big but its not Lucas Arts or Marvel - it can't defend it forever. Especial as its consistently encouraged fan involvement - and then still doesn't know what to do when the fans found the internet and bypassed them. Consolidation (and resultant sales growth) is often the first defense/ first stage in collapse. Once investors discover the IP is blown, the dividend disappears and the show's over - and then the IP is everyone's...

And now i sound like all the crazies on Warseer ! Needed a vent. Cheer up folks ! Epic is ours now ! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next