Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 44  Next

GW/FW Ending SG (was: GW Night Spinners no longer available)

Post subject: Re: GW/FW Ending SG (was: GW Night Spinners no longer availa
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

madd0ct0r wrote:
Am I the only person not bothered by this?

I mean, if dozens of better quality and cheaper companies weren't already in business, if I hadn't seen most of these companies start up from nothing on these very boards and if it were not getting to the point where printing a titan is cheaper than buying one I'd be mildly concerned.

But this? meh. We're sorted :)

+1

Almost made a panick buy.. But then the prices hit me and also I remembered the other companies who make good proxies. No need to feed the already too fat arrogant cat.

Blogging about 6-15mm wargaming: http://www.lead-space.net

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

S'Cipio wrote:
I'm effectively in Fairfax, VA

Me too. :)

S'Cipio wrote:
I just kept putting it off because I kept buying old-school models on ebay auctions that would end soon, and the GW-online models would "always be there later...."

I've been doing this for years, although I knew there would be a day of reckoning, eventually. The wife will certainly roll her eyes when I confess to my GW/FW panic buy.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Lead-Space wrote:
madd0ct0r wrote:
Am I the only person not bothered by this?

I mean, if dozens of better quality and cheaper companies weren't already in business, if I hadn't seen most of these companies start up from nothing on these very boards and if it were not getting to the point where printing a titan is cheaper than buying one I'd be mildly concerned.

But this? meh. We're sorted :)

+1

Almost made a panick buy.. But then the prices hit me and also I remembered the other companies who make good proxies. No need to feed the already too fat arrogant cat.

Agreed, also my reaction. Panicked, filled the shopping cart, then thought of all the interesting DRM and EW and Dystopian Wars figures I could also have languishing in the paint queue instead. I abandoned the cart, and probably GW online, for good. Nothing left there that is really appealing to me...

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

S'Cipio wrote:
One man assault wrote:
Been carefully watching the website and don't think anything else has come back in stock so far beyond thunderbolts and lightnings.

Very, very frightening.

Galileo?

Figaro.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ulrik wrote:
S'Cipio wrote:
One man assault wrote:
Been carefully watching the website and don't think anything else has come back in stock so far beyond thunderbolts and lightnings.

Very, very frightening.

Galileo?

Figaro.

magnifico-oooooooooooooooo.

My 6mm Sci-fi and skirmish TactComms Plog: Vermin!/Orks!/Micro-munda!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:47 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Indeed.

Spare him his life from this monstrosity

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Markconz wrote:
Indeed.

Spare him his life from this monstrosity

Easy come, easy go.

[ jodrell.org | @j_plays_games | @jodrellplaysgames ]

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:19 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

From a personal stance, the only things I really hate to see go are FW flyers and Eldar. Not that I'd be likely to get any more anytime soon, but still... Eldar are the only race I can't see a good alternative (and/or cheap secondhand market, in the case of Orks and Space Marines) for.

From a community stance, I worry about the effect this will have on recruitment and retention. It appears people can no longer get into epic without trawling ebay. It's not true, and choices are only increasing, but fluff/appearance are important to many, and using the 'correct' model is a habit drilled into GW recruits. We lose a subset of potential and (possibly) existing players by losing easy access to GW's ranges.

What we as a community do about this will have a significant impact on Epic's future. We need to get it right. I think a catalogue of existing manufacturers and independant designers on the NetEA website with some suggestions (think Epic Proxy List MkII but less exhaustive) would be a good start. A place to point and say "look, just about anything you want can be found here".

Ghost's Paint Blog, where everything goes that isn't something else.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It may be time to transition from “Epic” to “6mm general”. I wouldn’t have thought that way – I’m pretty entrenched in the 40k universe – but the similarity between E:A and Exodus Wars’s rules might make it possible. We’ve been using EW figures in Epic games… maybe it’s time to use our Epic figures in EW battles.

Hardcore 40k fans will still be able to find small armies, and they’ll have to if they want to play Eldar. (I wonder if SG’s death will raise or lower eBay prices.) More flexible gamers will have plenty of choices – but we really do need a list of them, either on a wiki-like site or at least a sticky here that’s restricted to one post that one person updates, so you don’t have to trawl through several pages of “Oooh, shiny!” posts.

It won’t be easy – it looks like 10mm entrants have more buzz outside of this forum, and will be the major competition. Maybe that ends up being the future. I haven’t taken a hard look at them yet.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looking at Spectator Ghost's post, here's what's been rolling around in my head all day.

We need a "Find me a Proxy" thread. In this, the first post would be a dynamic listing of proxies located for each EA miniature, updated as later posts below it suggest proxies. This top post would be divided into headings for each army list and miniature, and as the list grew the thread would likely need to be split into one thread per army list.

This is a complementary resource to, not a replacement for, the wonderfully-massive Epic Proxy thread already up. It's purpose isn't to give users a catalog of possible proxies but to point them to something they can use for a specific miniature in the EA army they are building.

Each miniature listing would be followed by a list of proxies and a link pointing to where they can be purchased. Multiple entries per miniature would be allowed, but I'd suggest they be organized so that "looks more like GW" would be near the top and "looks less like GW" would be near the bottom. Thus, massive land-fortresses and Jawa sandcrawlers might show up under IG Leviathan, but the Jawa-mobile would be lower. (We'd thus get the beautiful Star Wars inspired army for experimentors, but newbies wanting the GW aesthetic would be catered to.)

To give you an idea what I'm talking about, here's an "early" version of the top post in the thread, where the only entry so far is the one for Squat airships:
=======================

Eldar: Biel-Tan

Imperial Guard: Baran Siegemasters

Imperial Guard: Steel Legion

Orks: Feral

Orks: Waagh

Chaos: Black Legion

Chaos: Lost and the Damned

Space Marine: Codex

Squat: Extinct :-o

Overlord Airship
Dystopian Wars Prussian Empire Pflicht Class Scoutships
http://shop.spartangames.co.uk/ProductD ... ode=DWPE08

<*next entry*>
<*next link*>

<*next entry*>
<*next link*>

Tyranid: Hungry
=========================================================

Just a thought.

-Allen McCarley

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I forgot indents don't work here, so I'd likely change my above example so that there was a dash or an asterisk at the start of the overlord entry, to better distinguish it as a list entry rather than another header, like the 'Squat line is.

-Allen McCarley

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Unless we’re going to saddle one person with the task, I think it would have to be a wiki, so any of us can update it at will. We’ve talked about that before, creating a wiki with sample army lists and advice for new players. Either way, to avoid walls of text I’d recommend that the link be hidden in the model’s name, rather than being a separate URL.

Alternatively, we take an opposite approach and compile all the manufacturers we know of and summarize their product ranges, including what Epic figures they might look like. I think that’d be healthier – it’d give them more exposure, and new players going to those websites would be more likely to look at their ranges as a whole, rather than individual pieces to snipe for use in the 40k universe.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Have to lighten the mood and repost this awesome post from Warseer

Quote:
Watching things disappear from the store is the most interactive the GW website has been in ages!

:D

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This really does suck.

Ive only just found out and it seems im mostly too late to panic buy things im missing like the marine battle barge and FW Thunderhawk and manta.

If only they'd bloody warned us so we could place a final big order....

bastrds

:(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 44  Next