Login |  Register |  FAQ

6mm Model storage

Post subject: 6mm Model storage
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

How do you store your models?  Here are some things I am trying here in the US:

I just found this item at Michaels (cant find it on the Michaels site, nor even on Iris' site, but here it is elsewhere:  Iris KP-LPHO photo case.  I used my magic 40% off coupon and ended paying like $22 for this (hmpf).

The cool thing about that is, while it is shown laying on its side, it actually is designed to be stored vertically.  Each little case inside is about 1 1/8" H by 4.5" D x 6.5" W.  It will allow me to take a thin metal sheet, line each little case, and store all my infantry and tanks by size and type with the magnetic sheeting I have for that purpose.  The downside is, I'll need a) a larger case to transport my titans (but figure they can just ride along in my terrain tub) and b) I cant just reach in and grab my army (tons of little storage make my obsessive organizational needs satisfied but not my "snatch and grab" impulses.

Here you can see it opening...

You can see my hand holding it in that position for the picture.  Trying to experiment with this, I dumped the empty cases inside out...twice.  Yes, it carries like this, but trying to get the models out might a little tricky without laying it on its back (bite my tongue here!).  Hope the magnetic tape on the bottom of the bases grips nicely!

Here is one of the mini-cases inside, holding 10 Jetbikes and an Avatar nicely.  Add some metal sheeting and youre good to go...or are you?

I also picked up a few of Sterilite 1963 clip boxes at Target for $4 each.  I got one to line with a magnetic sheet so all my z-scale trees (which are based on washers) will have a nice home, and one to line with a metal sheet, similar to above, to see if storing all my models in one large open container might suit me better.  Its 3.25" H which is a little bit of a waste at this scale, but with minimal effort I'll be able to build nests for the titans in the corners, which isnt a bad thing.

Another option that I looked at but didnt buy were the Snapware 16 series craft boxes.  The top one listed there is a splash less tall and they clip together.  I love that concept.  The Sterilite boxes dont snap together but will stack nicely.

For terrain, I went to Walmart and picked up some Plano Prolatch StowAway boxes.  I got the shorter 2-3750 Utility Box for some of the Epic ruins I have, and the taller 2-3730 for other terrain I am buying (let's remain hopeful that this will hold alot of the Old Crow terrain I ordered!).  It may not fit, but its nice enough that I'll get SOMETHING to fit in there, and they were only a few bucks each.

The 3730 on the left and the 3750 on the right, holding stuff in style!  Currently I put paper towels in as padding (oops, bite my tongue again!).

All of this will, at some point, go into a much larger tub for each of storage and transport (and theft, all things considered!).  This way I can just Snatch-and-grab on my way to a friend's house or the game store for a good 6mm game with everything included.

I'll take pics if I remember later...

How do you store your stuff?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I lay mine out of on shelves in a big ‘ol Ikea cabinet in my room. It’s around 6 foot high with 14 x 80 by 25 cm glass shelves in. Then again I do have a Lot of epic (I’m collecting all the armies). It's like a cheaper version of a proper display cabinet that works better with epic as with as many adjustable shelves as you like you can fit loads in.

Still working on what I’m going to use for transport the big current style GW cases I used to use to transport my warhammer and W40k armies back in the day are not so great. The rather older style GW cases are quite good (though not for anything truly fragile like Tau or Grey Knights) but they are very OOP. So far I’m borrowing armies to go to tournaments and building up my collection, but by the time I have an army painted I’ll have to sort something, though that’ll be a while off yet.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:52 am 
You get major karma points for sourcing and linking your excellent ideas.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I use stationary draws.

I think your storage system looks excellent and I would love a setup like that for transporting my armies.

Epic- A version of the game with even smaller models that is often dominated by titans which are vehicles the size of a large building and have the ability to pwn...everything. There is also infantry, whose only function in Epic is to provide valuable traction to Titans walking across snowy paths.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:30 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

At the cheap/free end of the storage spectrum I use shallow Chinese take away containers padded with kitchen towel... :;):

which is fine unless you overfill them

Also glyn you have too many nice modles :O

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Apocolocyntosis @ Oct. 18 2009, 15:30 )

Also glyn you have too many nice modles :O

I know... think I got a bit carried away at some point, but I do like my epic :) When I complete my Krieg, Tyranid, Necron and Sisters of Battles armies I will have pretty much all I ever need and can hopefully do less collecting and more painting.

If you ever fancy an epic gaming day down in Cardiff some time - or a gaming weekend to make the journey worth it (we keep a mattress behind the sofa for whenever any of our mates stay over) - with a wide selection of armies, you’d be quite welcome.

Those magnetised containers look really good Kealios, cheers for the photos. I will have to invest in something like that myself some time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:06 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Cheers Glyn, i must admit id been thinking about that again when i saw your battle reports :p hopefully ill have my chaos painted up and ready for battle by the end of the year.