Login |  Register |  FAQ

Few Questions that need clarity

Post subject: Few Questions that need clarity
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok had a game last night against a 5 T hawk list and stumbled over a few situations i had never encountered before, and after much reference  to rules and other sources i stand here in search of answer's.

1 : T hawk strafes,  nightwings intercept,  shooting occurs and hits are resolved, so now the aa guns that shot at my nightwings, can they now shoot in the straffing part of the T hawk's fly by ?

2: My opponents BTS  is a beefed up tactical formation,  but when the a T hawk does a ground assualt with 2 dev detachments with libriaran's  the t hawk and 2 formations are considered on formation until the end of the shooting / assault that is part of, so if i the defender wipe out the t hawk and 2 dev detachments is that considered the BTS >?

cheers

Tim

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:48 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Quote: (Hena @ 21 Aug. 2009, 06:19 )

Though you could say the same if WE transport has units inside within end phase. I suppose there is no actual rule, but I would hazard to make a guess that the intention would be that it would not count.

WE transports and the loaded troops only count as the same formation during the action of the WE transport.  The rest of the time they are considered separate formations.

3.1.3, 4th paragraph, emphasis added:
Formations that dismount in this way may not take an
action in the turn they dismount, but are allowed to either
shoot or fight in an assault if the war engine that was
transporting it is able to shoot or assault. In both cases, the
war engine and the transported units are treated as a single
formation until the shooting attack or assault has been
resolved
. The war engine and the formation that
disembarked are treated as being separate formations once
the war engine has completely resolved its action.

While this is specifically addressing dismounting, there are some obvious implications.  Clearly, if a unit could shoot or FF while in the transport (like the unpublished Imperial CI) then they would shoot/FF using this same process even though they would not actually dismount.

The rules for the WE and embarked formations being combined are the same as all the other combined-formation rules, which are all only effective during the action.  Even though it's not explicit in saying that they are definitely not combined there is no out-of-activation situation in which the rules state the two formations are to be counted as one.

Finally, the rules state that the formations rally separately (2nd paragraph), so they are clearly not considered the same formation during the end phase.  That would pretty definitively settle the BTS question in any case.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

thanks for clearing that up, much appreciated.  :)

cheers

Tim NZ