Login |  Register |  FAQ

Looking for gamers in the Bath area....

Post subject: Looking for gamers in the Bath area....
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Guys,

I rediscovered Epic about a year ago, and have been slowly up a horde of boyz, problem is I don't really have anyone to play against!

Is there anyone on these boards who plays in the Bath/Bristol area???

Cheers  

Reedar

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey Reedar; there are loads of us in Bristol :-) All with pretty hefty epic inclinations as well as Aeronautica.
There's me, Ben (AKA EdgarSan) and Al (Hymirl) to name but a few as well as Greg who's caught the epic bug recently.  We're planning a big gaming day at my house just off of the bath road at some point in the future but can all usually also be caught down at the Bristol Vanguard Wargames club on a thursday.  For more epic goodness check out the Bristol Winter Warmer Tournament Threads; new gamers are always welcome to help swell out numbers!
If you'd like to arrange to meet up one evening or to join us for that gaming day give me a shout :-)
Yrs,
Ryan>

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey MoK,

That sounds great, cheers!

I'm deffo up for popping along to the Bristol tourneys, although I'd fancy meeting up for a couple of pick-up games at some point in the meantime if you fancy it? Bring me up to speed properly.

Depending on where you are in Brizzle, I can either jump on a train or drive over to ya.  Equally, if you're ever likely to be in Bath and fancy a game, let me know.  Vets night in GW Bath is every Tues so I can always meet you there too.

Cheers

Reedar

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

All sounds good; i work in the evenings unfortunately so actually getting to a gaming in time for a game is always a problem so most of my gaming happens during the day with mates or at the weekend.  
I live in brislington just off of the Bath Road (Water Lane to be precise) but we could always arrange a cultural exchange of Bath/BRistol games? I haven't actually been to bath yet and am a keen cyclist so would love an excuse to cycle over one day? Without sounding like i'm inviting myself how does a game over your place saturday/sunday sound?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sounds like a plan.  I live in Melksham, so Bath works as a good halfway meeting point.

The store is pretty close to the canal path too (presume you'd be taking that?) so would be easy to find.

I'm either this Sun, or any Sat/Sun from the 13th of June onwards.  Your call mate, pick a date(s) that suits you.

Cheers again MoK.

Reedar

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

One problem there is that the store won't let us play epic! It's policy not to let anyhting but the core games get played during opening hours :-(
Melsham to mine is about 25miles by main road so probably a three hour cycle (not bad for a day out) and there is a train station so that's an idea; but we COULD just
a) turn up at GW and then play the "but i've just cycled from bristol" sympathy card
or
b) phone in advance and try winning them round that way.
If not how does saturday 13th sound? I want to get a few things done next weekend.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

*waves* I’m in Cardiff, which is not that far away. I have plans to play MoK in my first game of epic in a few years in the not too distant future. Melksham looks to be a while by trains, which don’t seem to be that regular, but playing in Bristol as a half-way point sometime could be cool :smile:

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@MoK,  Nah, shouldn't be a problem - the 2-3 small games that I have played of Epic have all been in the store.  In any case, leave it with me and I'll sort it with them.

You can get straight to mine from Bristol on the Kennet & Avon cycle path, but it is a hell of a trek - would suggest Bath is the way to go.  In any case, getting here by train would actually take you longer than cycling - Melksham isn't renowned for it's train service!

13th? Done.

@GlynC.  Hello mate! Yea, I'd forget the Melksham option TBH, besides, Bath, Bristol and Cardiff are all linked by a regular train service. Like you say Bristol is halfway - looks like we'll be turning up at MoK's place at some point in the future!

:))

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Reedar @ 25 May 2009, 17:09 )

- looks like we'll be turning up at MoK's place at some point in the future!

Sounds good to me :-)

as does the 13th in Bath.
R>

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good, good. I’m about a month away from being able to play regularly (need to write the last of the essays for my masters) but be great to get some games in against a range of opponents :smile:

I’ve got, or am collecting, good sized armies for most available armies too, so can play a variety of things.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorted. Confirmed with the store manager there aren't any issues with us playing Epic in the store. I think me collaring him as he tried to get to pub may have helped speed up the agreement!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:35 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Excellent; so that's three saturday's from now time yep? 13th

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep, thats the one.

Your call on what to do, but I was thinking a couple of small (1000 - 1500?) games to get me familiar with everything.

What do you reckon mate?

Cheers
Reedar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey Reedar!

Glyn and I had a great time the other day; he's a nice guy and we should defintely all get together for a game round mine one day.  I'm off to Cardiff at some point too i think...

Anyway; the 13th...Do you want to meet up before early lunch? Midday at the store?
A 1-1.5k game is VERY small in epic; a 2k game is probably equivalent to a 1.5k warhammer fantasy battle.  
My preference at the moment is for 3k games as i'm trying to get some tournament practice in (don't worry; i don't intend to turn up and get all competitive!) but if you're not familiar with things and want a couple of dry runs how about we play a  quick 1000pt game first to get you into the swing of things before playing a 'proper' sized game?

What army/ies have you got? We can discuss force lists etc if you'd like as i already know what army i'll be using :-) If you're new to playing again then you couldn't do worse than post a couple of army lists for other forum members to take a look at and help you with either.
R>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Midday works for me. I can be there from 10am so if you need to make it earlier just holla.

I have a decent sized Ork force, and have started SM and IG too. Just planning on bringing the greenskins down though.

I'll post some army lists in a seperate thread tonight. I'll then re-post them when they've ripped to pieces by people who know better!

Happy to play a 3k game, only problem is I've never used flyers, would rather wait until i'm confident with all the basics until I introduce them!
Will that cause you a problem mate?  

Deffo all have to meet up at some point to, Bristol and Cardiff are equally easy to get to for me.

Cheers

Reedar