Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Space Marine Fixes Thoughts/Ideas

Post subject: Space Marine Fixes Thoughts/Ideas
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like the Tech-Marine: After all, it worked well in SM2!
Would that also herald the return of the Medic with personnel saves?

When I pushed this in the initial EA playest forum (lets see, thats 3 offiial forums ago now..) I was told it was too complex?  has this officla attitud echanged to allow more character diversity?

My ECW Blog: http://declaresir.blogspot.com/

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I, too, like the ideas of Tech-Marines and Medics.

As for the Vindy, it should have the Ignore Cover ability.

Dreads- let them be able to be deployed by drop pod. Also, am I the only one that would like to see them as seperate formations, instead of just upgrades?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:02 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I think the marines are pretty close to being okay and only need some minor tweaks.  Here are the items I have advocated to the Rules Committee:

Vindicator - up the speed to 25cm
All armor formations (except Whirlwinds) - drop 25 points to 275 points/375 for LRs

TSKNF changes:
Leaders remove 2 BMs
Drop the outnumber mod by 1, i.e. outnumbered is +0, outnumbered more than double is -1.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It has been a while since I jumped in on this but...
I am still of the mind that Tech-marines and medics don't need to be complicated to be in the game. The "Leadership" ability alone works well. ... sorry but I don't want to hear the "They aren't leaders!" argument. It is the effect not what you call it. The point is that you get a reasonable solution with out adding any new rules (except maybe expanding their Invulnerable Save to include some number of units in the detachment.)

In any fluff I can remember SM's could care less about beinging outnumbered, period.

end of rant :cool:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good point.  Fluss-wise, if Marines aren't outnumbered, then the Emperors resources are being waisted.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Utah, pick a Pacific Island the other half of the year.
Quote Warmaster Nice
Dreadnoughts.
There's been some suggestions about letting them use Drop Pods for increased mobility.
End Quote

*Jaldon looks left then right* pssssst Dreadnoughts can use drop pods, and Thunderhawks, and Landing Craft already.

Jaldon :oo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:21 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

On the WPS Epic Rules Committee, yes I know I should go outside once in a while, it has been suggested to bring in a whole command stand.

This would use the techmarine rule above, a similar version for the apothic##$$## Medic and also a Standard Bearer to allow for limited reduction of BM.

The idea is to reduce the Supr Com to +75pts and havethis additional up-grade at + a further 50pts.

I agree that ome of the existing rules could be used further. ie Inv Sv, but is a bit of a throw away save and not a bonus to be used when really needed.

Tim

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I quite like the techmarine idea but as an alternative, how about just give Rhino's and razorbacks the chance to re-roll their armour save? (but not anything else based on a rhino chassis) Without the limitation of D3 +1 which the techmarines would give.

Fluff wise it could be justified by the fact that Rhino's are incredibly easy to repair

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:15 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Quote (The_Ape @ 02 2005 Aug.,12:44)
I quite like the techmarine idea but as an alternative, how about just give Rhino's and razorbacks the chance to re-roll their armour save? (but not anything else based on a rhino chassis) Without the limitation of D3 +1 which the techmarines would give.

Fluff wise it could be justified by the fact that Rhino's are incredibly easy to repair

That is basically just giving them the reinforced armour ability... which I don't think they deserve.

An invulnerable save maybe... to represent the ease of repair etc of rhinos (not razorbacks which are already good value in epic, and also don't have the easy repair ability in 40k).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Jaldon @ 31 2005 July,20:25)

(1) In General Too Weak in Assaults
(Fix) Change outnumber result to the following
(A) If outnumbered by 2 to 1, or more then enemy gets +1
(B) If Even or just outnumbered enemy gets +0
? If Marines outnumber enemy they get +2

Sounds groovy

(2) Vindicator Not Worth It
(A) Increase it's speed to 25cm
(B) Give it FF+1 attacks
? Give Demolisher Cannon Ignore Cover
OR
(D) Decrease it's Detachment cost to 200pts, and per unit cost to 50pts

Decrease cost - it has to preserve the link to 40k for the studio to accept it.

(3) Too Weak Against WE
(A) Make Hunter MW4+TKD3 AA4+ :p
(B) Live with it every army should have weaknesses

Live with it

Other things to consider:

Armour is too expensive - especially the Land Raiders. I never field them any more :S.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thenewtonwebb
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/thenewtonwebb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Markconz @ 02 2005 Aug.,13:15)
Quote (The_Ape @ 02 2005 Aug.,12:44)

That is basically just giving them the reinforced armour ability... which I don't think they deserve.

An invulnerable save maybe... to represent the ease of repair etc of rhinos (not razorbacks which are already good value in epic, and also don't have the easy repair ability in 40k).

Well, id personally be happy with just a better armour save. You are right, they dont deserve the reinforced armour rule, but on the same note, i feel the invulnerable save is not much better.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I am quite happy with rhinos as they are TBH.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thenewtonwebb
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/thenewtonwebb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well I agree, to upgrade the Vindy and Hunter. And yes, we let Dreads use  Drop Pods, the new big ones vs. the small old versions which, carry SMs (Assault Pods), Deathwind Rockets and a Heavy Support Weapon.  We may even give the Assault Pod a weapon as in SM1.  We also still use M/Mortars and T/Guns, as well as  Tarantulas and Rapiers with our SMs, as in SM1.  And all our Epic Forces still use the SM1 Off Board Support system.  So there is no such thing as too much firepower !     :;):

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

How about giving Vindicator 'disrupt' aswell.  The marines don't have a disrupt weapon, but I know I would certainly keep my head down if targeted by a Vindicator.  It would make it a better unit to use just before an assault.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Jaldon @ 31 2005 July,20:25)
(2) Vindicator Not Worth It
(A) Increase it's speed to 25cm
(B) Give it FF+1 attacks
? Give Demolisher Cannon Ignore Cover
OR
(D) Decrease it's Detachment cost to 200pts, and per unit cost to 50pts

Regarding the proposed solution to weak assaults, I generally agree with the proposed changes to "outnumber results".

As far as Titans, Space Marines have access to their own Titans so I really don't see any reason to develope new units or dramatically alter existing ones to fill a TK role.  Space Marines are not designed to fight Titans.  They are powered infantry with support vehicles.

As for the Vindicator... let's just say I seem to love beating dead horses.

I have posted my opinion on the Vindicator before and I will continue to stick to my guns until they are pried from my cold dead hands.  The Demolisher Cannon should be identical to the Imperial Guard gun of the same name.  It is the same gun, after all, so no need for it to perform differently because it's mounted on a Rhino instead of a Chimera, Russ, or Baneblade chassis.  No justification exists for increased FF, Extra Attacks, or other options that do not exist in the Guard's version.

Also, the Vindicator should move at 30cm as do all other Rhino variants.  There is nothing in the Demolisher's description that justifies a speed difference.  It moves the same speed as all other Marine vehicles in 40k and has the same fire rate as the Whirlwind which currently moves at 30cm in Epic.  The big dozer blade that we always see on the Demolisher is optional equipment available to all Rhino variants and the Demolisher Cannon cannot posssibly weigh more than the Whirlwind/Hunter turrets + ammo.  Even the Predators have to be pretty weighty to support all those sponsons and huge turreted weapons plus ammo/batteries.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next