Black Legion 3.4 => 3.5 *CHANGES LIST?*

Post subject: Black Legion 3.4 => 3.5 *CHANGES LIST?*
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

NH,

no worries. :)

Jaldon,

I agree with you. This marine player is decent, but not a vet by any means. He's the kind of player that knows the rules for the most part, but can miss the subtlties of a tactic in development which causes him to take a pounding. He's definitely not an opponent you take lightly, but one that can be managed. He likes to go heavy with a particular tactic - i.e. rapid strike in this case. He's this way in every game he plays. The problem is you never know which way he's leaning from game to game, so it can force the opponent to really be on his toes.

I agree also that chaos matched up well against this army. If you put your entire army in chaos assault range and they have the option to FF you or engage you in base-to-base, and they get a load of activations before you get your first successful one, you probably shouldn't expect much performance out of your list.

Table size was a 4x8, but most of the battle took place in a 4x4 space. The chaos player had his formations set up in close - tight almost base to base formations though. I think he was setting up to prepair for a charge and wanted to get as many of his models together as he could.

The chaos player did make one interesting observation I failed to mention earlier. He said he was really worried about the termy's all coming in on him. He said it made him uncomfortable in set up as his army is at its weakest on the first turn as no daemons have summoned yet.

I thought that was an interesting observation that I hadn't considered before.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:24 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

That seems odd to me.

It would depend on the initial deployment, of course, but I would think the best way to fight that Chaos list would be to use first turn to alpha strike the WEs with a few of the termie formations.  They will likely be swarmed and destroyed in return, but that will also prevent the attacking formations from moving forward and taking ground.

Let the chaos player summon all the daemons they want.  They can't surround their formations (or at least not for a reasonable price).  Turn 2, teleport in for crossfire and use clipping assaults to break formations and banish daemons to the warp without them ever getting into combat.

Save just 1-2 formations to Turn 3 for targets of opportunity.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

NH,

Keep in mind the chaos player deployed heavily into the city - due to campaign game.... imagine via ASCII vision...

Chaos was deployed in 2, 3, 6, and 7. In the center of the table, there was a gigantic spire. They were fighting over the spire - so this was NOT a normal tournament game. Sorry if I didn't make that clear originally.

I agree, forcing out the WE's first would have been a choice manouvre.

Regarding the turn 2 teleport and crossfire, I'm not sure that would have worked. Initial formations plus daemons made for some pretty sizable formations. That would have helped though I'm sure. Couldn't have made things worse for the guy and would have been a better approach to dug in chaos. If the formations broke in turn 2, I wonder if it would have been enough to secure victory in turn 3 or if the marines would have still lost too many models to be formidable.

Still, getting to turn 2 would have been a huge improvement for them LOL, so hard to argue with the tactic :)