Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

The increasing power of aircraft

Post subject: The increasing power of aircraft
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Everyone interested is invited to join a new E-A E-group.

"California_E-A_Gamers" - USA (English)

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CA-EA-Gamers/

26 July 04. Maksim: This group was established to help GW Epic-Armageddon players in California arrange games and to chat about local issues. Visiting E-A players from Britain, France or elsewhere in the world are also welcome to use the E-group for arranging games when visiting California, USA. For general E-A conversation, I recommend the Epicomms forums at Epic40k.co.uk

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Re-posted here as it?s a waste of time discussing stuff in the general section of the SG forum :)

I've put this post here as I think it pertains to epic development in general (and the priority lists currently in development). I'm referring to what some have dubbed an Epic Air Arms race.
Nealhunt in particular I believe made some good comments about this on the old forum.
Essentially I think there may be a problem brewing with new armies as they come out (of course I could be wrong :) It wouldn't be the first time!) in that their air forces project a greater threat from the air than the original lists were designed to meet.

As I see it air power in the original 3 armies was a fun but not dominant part of the game. It encouraged the use of flak and aircraft, in my experience about 10-12 flak 'shots' and several aircraft. Columns of armour had their SP flak trundling alongside and everything looked cool (though there is a gaping hole with infantry flak, where oh where are all my WWII toys? Ahem, somewhat off topic there). Landing craft were lost tot he odd lucky shot but otherwise seemed to encounter more trouble on the ground and so on.
The option was there for one upmanship in the air giving a welcome edge to a player that wished to gamble but it wasn't an overpowering one. A player didn't expect to rule the ground from the sky or be completely outclassed if their flak umbrella collapsed.

The Eldar came out and I think it has to be said (with one of two quibbles about the bombers from some) their airforce was more powerful but didn't upset that dynamic too much and start people racing for air defences. Indeed the biggest consequence was to negate the chance of others achieving air superiority through their excellent fighters and brilliant flak defences.

Now newer lists are using air in different ways. Some are trying to place it in the existing power scale, others to make up for deficiencies in the main body of troops which is giving rise to the 'arms race'. Its not intentional but as enemy airforces get stronger, i.e. carry MW or TK attacks (with or without additional abilities like pulse), have longer ranged or simply better AA intercept values, longer ranged main weapons defeating flak defences, get more resilient in squadron sized groups rather than individual craft etc the threat from the air grows.

Now the air rules in Epic don't strike me as fully integrated into the game as other aspects and I think the increasing stress puts too much pressure on certain (or all armies). First off army selection changes, you have to have more flak or better/more fighters. The threat of, say, flying long ranged MW pulse attacks to a marine force is enormous. In a tournament (the reason behind these point values) you may face such a beast and if you don't tool up to defend against it you probably will not have a hope in that game.

Finally how do you cost these things? If the opponent hasn't invested enough in quality/quantity of air defences their potential battlefield effect is far greater, and if we start to expect heavy flak in every army it leaves some out in the cold (not everyone has good/reliable/long ranged flak) and makes people army selections a bit more predictable and to be frank less fun to do. Those that lack good air defences (marines can struggle and Imperials in general lack a good air to air interceptor, the Thunderbolt being a good ground attack aircraft but indifferent air defender, not to mention the potential to strafe feral Orks into the ground) will suffer a fair bit more or have an even more bland time picking the army.
So the points become harder to determine, cost it for its ideal use then have its selection pretty much dictate basic tactics due to its cost, or put a pints value on it that can be exploited by a good air commander or against a disadvantaged foe?

What are others thoughts on this? I know there a bit of discussion going on about a new set of air rules in some quarters, would these make the increased variety less of a problem and more of a flavourful opportunity?

If not I think a few guidelines should be laid down to limit aircraft power, I know what currently I would favour but what about others?

Then Nealhunts comments
TRC is right in that I have a significant concern about this.

In the core armies, the major restriction on aircraft was that they were in relatively small formations and not terribly difficult to suppress or possibly kill. Small formations (size and point-wise) means that maxing out on air cover is to a certain extent self-limiting if the enemy has modest amounts of flak coverage. More formations = more flak shots = more planes downed.

The obvious exception is the Ork FB formations and they are considered clearly better than the Imperial Navy formations. But even then, they are short range and fielded in large formations, considered expendable, because they are pretty much required to fly through flak to hit anything.

The biggest "creep" on air cover is due to much more capable aircraft on an individual basis. As the point cost of the craft rise, it's possible to take a similar portion of the army in aircraft without nearly as much vulnerability to flak.

Some people have claimed that the fact that a single loss of a heavier-armed aircraft makes up for that change, but I disagree. With multiple formations facing moderate amounts of flak, it is almost unavoidable that there will be a need to brave the flak umbrella to hit a desired target. There are only so many formations that can be attacked without entering enemy flak coverage. Vulnerable formations can retreat back into coverage or the flak weapons can simply move to cover them later, preventing multiple air strikes on a single formation.

Heavier aircraft can hit a single formation if it "sticks its nose out" from the flak coverage even briefly. This reduces the potential enemy flak response. Also, the heavier aircraft are tending to pick up longer range weapons. This means that it is much harder to keep a unit under flak protection in the first place. The extra range further means that the chances of disengagement without encountering flak or exiting an enemy board edge is greater, i.e. not only less chances of actual kills, but less chance of garnering BMs.

====

I would like to see air units for armies in development to concentrate on keeping the air power of individual aircraft proportionate to the existing units rather than trying to make the unit stats fit as closely as possible to 40K. The aircraft rules are very highly abstracted and attempting to make them more literal is likely to end up causing balance problems.

And Dafrca in general seemed to aggree. I'm sure though he will post himself :)

What about the rest of ya?

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, the aircraft rules created a paradigm shift. We wanted to keep it simple, but have a bit of realism (?) ...  So dropping Air2Air, limiting CAS (to 25-33% TBL, including Titans, Off Board Spt), and not creating a complex sub-system plus arms race to sell more models ... :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The problem is deeper , as Epic is an offshoot of 40k , which is a skirmish game, there are a number of armies which do not have fundamental weapon systems as a result.

We already have one trick army which uses aircraft instead of artillery (Orks) but how many more will go down the same path.

Tau, Necrons , Black Legion.?

All modern armies have varying proportions of the basic trooptypes.

Armour , infantry , artillery , flak, ATGW , recon, this is not just because they are like to copy each other. All these trooptypes are necessary to fight combined arms mechanised warfare.

So unless the problem of finding artillery for these armies are addressed ,an aircraft arms race seems on the cards.

.........Commissar Zak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Excellent Points, Zak !  I really don't have a problem with some armies having more FA or not, that may be the "way" that army fights. And I totally understand combined arm warfare as being a participant from '79-'90 as an Infantry Officer.    If the Necrons see the light of day, who knows what G/W has in mind. The IG has more FA than any other army and everyone else has varying lesser amounts to almost zero (Orks,Tau).  We still use Thud Guns and mortars for SMs too, so we still have more FA than the current forces. Plus the excellent SM1 Off Board Support system.   I'm betting we won't see much more FA out there and G/W continuing to field aircraft for more of the armies. Again I don't really see a problem with that, as based on my gaming past (since the late '60s), my "Epicing" since '90 and experiences in my previous career. CAS can be used as effectively as FA, in most cases.      :)   I don't like or play 40K, the models are nice, but the rules are generally purile, at best. So I don't like to make the Epic-40K paradigm.  :;):

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (zak @ 16 2005 July,06:50)
The problem is deeper , as Epic is an offshoot of 40k , which is a skirmish game, there are a number of armies which do not have fundamental weapon systems as a result.

[snip]

So unless the problem of finding artillery for these armies are addressed ,an aircraft arms race seems on the cards.

In the end this is the basic level problem with a couple of the sticking points of late.

I agree that the Aircraft have gone from a fun "addition" to a focus of power creep. The next question is, how do w stop the creep while still addressing the issue. If the folks at GW do not want to face the lack because they are trying too hard to not allow each army to go to vanilla, where do we put our efforts?

I liked TRCs idea of maybe setting some power standards for aircraft. Then the point cost would be based on number in a formation and any power adjusts would drive up or down the cost accordingly.

dafrca

Come fight me, if you dare...... http://dd-janks.mybrute.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Legion 4 @ 16 2005 July,07:21)
I really don't have a problem with some armies having more FA or not, that may be the "way" that army fights.

The issue is, that as each new list comes out the crew is starting to use the Flyers as not just an answer to the lack of FA, but rather, they are starting to push power levels above the FA for dealing death blows to formations etc from afar.

The fact is, GW has always had a problem with Power Creep. As each new army or army re-release happens they get more powerful. Slowly the older armies need to be ?adjusted? somehow to raise their power levels up.

What I see here in EpicA land is that right now that creep is happening more in the flyers then any where else.

dafrca

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (dafrca @ 16 2005 July,08:53)
The next question is, how do w stop the creep while still addressing the issue. If the folks at GW do not want to face the lack because they are trying too hard to not allow each army to go to vanilla, where do we put our efforts?

Well in terms of Epic the rules review is looking at a series of changes to the aircraft and flak rules to try and make them a bit easier to understand and use but also to make the playing field a bit more balanced.

If anyone has any specific concerns that they want to see addressed they can email me or post them here.

At least at an Epic level the problem is being examined and we are going to hopefully have a  solution.

As Zak points out the core problem is that the 40K background is littered with grossly absurd situations such as Chaos armies not having artillery. And, as he mentions, this gets addressed via aircraft.

We're tied to this background material so our only solution is to make sure that the game is balanced within those preconceptions. Obviously the aircraft and flak rules currently need work adn we also need to make sure that we keep future aircraft in line.

Thankfullly we have a few people, like neal, who understand this issue's importance and work to keep it in people's minds when we develop new rules.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (pixelgeek @ 16 2005 July,10:21)
As Zak points out the core problem is that the 40K background is littered with grossly absurd situations such as Chaos armies not having artillery. And, as he mentions, this gets addressed via aircraft.

I agree 100%. I think what I was attempting to say is that too often, because the GW folks want to keep the feel an army has, a feel it gets from 40k, they are reluctant to allow all armies to have similar units.

How often I have heard "no, let's not give Army X one of those because it will then just become Army Z"

Too often they are trying to keep 40k in epic, when the games have very different focus levels.

Bottom Line, I think we are more in agreement then not. :;):

dafrca

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Utah, pick a Pacific Island the other half of the year.
Fighting the Last War

This is what I like to call the way GW developes new army lists.

It started with the work on Swordwind and has continued from that point to the present, and it isn't just the aircraft.

It seems that after the starter lists (Ork/SM/IG) many seem to want to 'make up' or 'get all' the toys they need to beat the other armies. Comments like "Well the SM can do this" or "The Orks got a similar thing" resulted in the litteral creation of fixes just for percieved items.

This turns what could have been an interesting and exciting army with real strengths and weaknesses, into an army that isn't all that interesting to use and only has percieved weaknesses instead of real ones.

Neal and others are correct when they say that airpower creep is the recent 'solution' to an army's weaknesses, and I agree this issue has to be addressed, but we also cannot lose sight of the need for an army to have real weaknesses instead of just percieved ones.

The sad truth is if the airpower issue is 'fixed' we must stay aware of possible 'other' solutions. Army's in Epic-A need weaknesses, real weaknesses, to give them character. So in some cases rather then 'fix' the artillery weakness of some of the armies it might be better to make them better at something else rather then give them psuedo artillery.

Just my 2 cents/pence

Jaldon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I don't think that there is any problem with aircraft being used as FA.  The Orks do it and it is not too powerful.  

Where some of the problems in development have come from is comparing ground based weapons to aircraft weapons.  The ground based weapons power are based on long periods of sustained fire.  An aircraft only gets a few seconds of fire before they have to break off, usually having expended most of their ammo.  Also the range of most air based weapons should be very short, this is because while the weapon can shoot farther than this range for it to get off more than one shot the aircraft will have to maintain its heading and its speed will take it much closer to the enemy formations.  This is why most weapons have a range of 15cm because this is the point at which the attack run ends and the aircraft needs to start thinking about leaving the area.

^2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Squared @ 16 2005 July,21:18)
This is why most weapons have a range of 15cm because this is the point at which the attack run ends and the aircraft needs to start thinking about leaving the area.

I think its more of a balance issue in Epic. Short range means that its easier for players to cover formations with Flak as the area that an aircraft needs to get into to attack is shorter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

All good points, and I have to agree with ^2, aircraft are off and on ... FA is on the board, etc. ...  But "CAS creep", could be a problem and this will change the paradigm completely.  Limiting aircraft (25-33% of TBL, for example), and hopefully G/W won't creat numerous aircraft models (but it appears they have trouble making any models for certain armies!).  We play it, aircraft are on and off, 25-33% of TBL can be spent on aircraft, Titans and Off Board Spt (equal to E:A BFG Spacecraft).  If you can't buy/get too many on the board, if there is "creep", it will be limited, IMO ...  :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think the aircraft problem would be better solved by being further abstracted:

An aircraft travelling at combat speeds with rockets and bombs and the like (which can be lobbed etc) would spend a miniscule amount of time over such a small area as the table represents.  Thus a series of mods based on army design, assignment of proetctive air cover (CAP) and the like can be made.  Then let the actual model (if it doesnt abort/get shotdown) do an attack run and then get removed.  Quick and easy

Advanced Squad Leader uses this sort of system and it works very well.  And that is a much much more complex system than anything GW have dreamed up!

My ECW Blog: http://declaresir.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:07 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Tas @ 16 2005 July,23:54)
An aircraft travelling at combat speeds with rockets and bombs and the like (which can be lobbed etc) would spend a miniscule amount of time over such a small area as the table represents.

Don't forget that the ranges are meant to be logarthmic(sp) and not linear.

As well the aircraft are meant to be doing their full approach moves on the table so it represents more than just the basic attack run which would be, if we follow the "an assault is a 40K game" rough scale and time guide, when the player finishes the aircrafts movement and fire.

So the aircraft is on table significantly longer than its approach move and based on the scale it travels a significant distance when it does so

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next