Login |  Register |  FAQ

Commanders in SM Detachments

Post subject: Commanders in SM Detachments
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:16 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

This was a response to someone asking how well Epic was doing.  It's a positive sign for our hobby.

Take Care

The miniatures have sold well in Europe. What I was told - and bear in mind this is anecdotal information, as I haven't seen any sales figures yet - is that sales of the miniatures were 400% up on forecast. Which is nice

Best regards,

Jervis Johnson
Head Fanatic

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I hope and prey they dont get too cocky and start over blowing production, we need small production runs that sell out to make epic look good!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Let's hope they learned their lessons from the E40K marketing fiasco ... :p

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

400% loooks very promising ideed. It is hard to keep pessimistic but i stilll try to reserve judgement until february next year. :)

Cheers!

Nobody expects the Inquisition!!!
http://theepiclounge.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Yup, february next year is when we'll know for sure.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:21 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Definately a good sign (as long as the forcast was more that 12! - It does all depend on the forcast numbers). Even taking into account that the game will tail off, people wont play without the rules, so the more that have the rules, the more potential mini buyers out there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

A valid point CS, if the target is very low it is easier to hit, but I suspect they may very conservatively raise that bar as each stock run is sold. As long as they dont overestimate the increase they should be fine. I'd rather epic meet low expectations than fail to reach a high one. The later means no more minis, the former means the game will be around for a long time.  :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If you've seen my piece for A Tale f Five Gamers, you'll have noticed that I'm unsure on how many of my SM detachments actually need Commanders. At the moment, I'll have 2 Assault detachments, 3 tac detachments and 1 Dev detachment, with both assault detachmetns having Chaplains and one Tac one having a Captain.

Is it worth giving commanders to my other two tac detachmetns and the Dev one, and if so, which should I use? Also, how many commanders of each type do you get in a SM Battle COmpany box?

Dysartes.com - Resources for the Modern Wargamer - Last updated: December 2004 - Next Update: In Progress

Sentinels are just young titans that haven't grown up yet!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I don't think there is a single character in the SM Battle Company (the EA one, right ?) box. You have to buy the metal character pack, IIRC.

There is a lengthy discussion regarding SM Commanders on the official forum. My take (as an Ultramarines player) on them :
- Chaplains are good (especially for Assault Marines and Terminators), as they will allow you to alleviate the often higher numbers on the opposite side
- Captains are good, especially for Tactical units and for Terminators. But another excellent option for combined assaults is using a Thunderhawk loaded with either 2 Assaults or 1 Assault and 1 Devastator detachments.
- I find Librarians a bit underpowered right now, and best suited for Devastators (since their MW FF attack will then benefit from the 3+FF value of Devs). That's only good if you plan to use your Devs in an offensive role, though (aerial drop for example). Librarians can work with Terminators too.

If you have the points for extra characters, you could get another Captain or a Chaplain for one of your Tactical detachments, but that depends of the use you make of said detachments. The SM characters really are at their best in offense, so if your Tactical detachments are used for defense, characters could not be worth it.