Login |  Register |  FAQ

Question on barrage weapons and MW in assault

Post subject: Question on barrage weapons and MW in assault
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey again!
Two questions:
1. When firing with a formation that both have barrage weapons and normal direct fire guns, how do you allocate hits or... in what order do you do things? or... something?
Do you:
1. First resolve barrage weapons, and allocate hits to the units under the template, make saves for them and then do the regular fire hits and save?
2. First resolve barrage weapons, and allocate hits to the units under the template, then do hits from regular weapons and then do all the saves? And if that is so, how do you allocate hits from the regular hits? From the front and then ignore the units that already got a hit from the barrage weapon until everyone have a hit allocated in the formation? Or do you allocate from the front, and those who already have a hit allocted from the barrage gets allocated a second when it's "their turn", during from front to back? If that makes sense?
3. Something else?

2. The rules for MW says that a MW hit can only be applied to a unit that in a position to be hit... but when in an assault the FAQ says that a MW can be applied even if the unit attacking is destroyed before allocating MW hits (since all happens at the same time). But what if I use a MW weapon in CC, but the enemy unit in base contact is destroyed by regular attacks? I believe MW hits are just allocated from the front and back after regular hits have been saved/kills removed, but technically there is no unit in position to be attacked by the MW weapon anymore, as it was CC weapon?

Thanks!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Question on barrage weapons and MW in assault
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:39 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I find it easiest to roll the hits for the barrage first, as those are effectively all "pre-assigned" at that point. Then roll regular attacks, assigning them closest to furthest and skipping over units that have already been hit by the barrage.

All CC and FF attacks in an assault are pooled and assigned to enemy units within LoS and 15cm of one of your units (that's your "in a position to be hit"). You don't have to track CC hits by units. The exception there is War Engines, each of those have their own separate pools of base-to-base and within-15cm hits.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

what Dave said and to further clarify, your MW CC hits aren't lost. We call that the flying powerfirst. But yeah pool it all up and assign.

I'd do the barrage first as well, incidentally.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just to confirm, that’s option 2. So make all the hit rolls for the barrage and allocate the hits, then make all the other hit rolls, and allocate hits to units that don’t have a hit yet (or don’t have two hits yet if you get more hits than there are units etc.).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Absolutely fantastic! Thanks a lot!