Login |  Register |  FAQ
   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

Epic old school size trees

 Post subject: Epic old school size trees
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 7:56 pm
Posts: 617
Location: Lancaster, PA
The Wargaming company (thewargamingcompany.com) sells the old school epic sized trees. You get a pack for 15 bucks. The larger pine trees are too tall. They come with MDF bases. You will need to seal them as they shed flock easily. Image
Image

_________________
mattie
http://maashes.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Epic old school size trees
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:39 pm
Posts: 4
Do you have a link to the trees you bought that you think fit best?

I'm not seeing any packs for $15 - but I'm seeing a bunch of trees that might work well?

Thanks!


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Epic old school size trees
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:43 pm
Posts: 1283
Location: Devon, UK
m_folais wrote:
The larger pine trees are too tall.

Compared to old GW batreps etc, sure. :)

They're actually still on the small side for actual trees, though. What we think of as correctly sized for Epic is more like a large bush than an actual tree. :(

_________________
The Wargaming Trader
NetEA Death Guard Army Champion


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Epic old school size trees
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 508
Location: Columbus, Ohio USA
IJW Wartrader wrote:
Compared to old GW batreps etc, sure. :)

They're actually still on the small side for actual trees, though. What we think of as correctly sized for Epic is more like a large bush than an actual tree. :(


This is a problem I’ve always had with trees at all scales of wargaming. Everyone makes trees so freaking small.

_________________
Thanks,
Troy


Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Epic old school size trees
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 7:56 pm
Posts: 617
Location: Lancaster, PA
Alpharius wrote:
Do you have a link to the trees you bought that you think fit best?

I'm not seeing any packs for $15 - but I'm seeing a bunch of trees that might work well?

Thanks!


I got mine at a Con. They are 25 on the site. 25% off until 6APR.

_________________
mattie
http://maashes.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Epic old school size trees
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 7:56 pm
Posts: 617
Location: Lancaster, PA
ForgottenLore wrote:
IJW Wartrader wrote:
Compared to old GW batreps etc, sure. :)

They're actually still on the small side for actual trees, though. What we think of as correctly sized for Epic is more like a large bush than an actual tree. :(


This is a problem I’ve always had with trees at all scales of wargaming. Everyone makes trees so freaking small.


It is true the trees are small. If they were the correct size, they would be unplayable. In Epic they are more tokens representing a design concept. Area terrain. As long as you can recognize what the object represents and the limitation of the object then it doesn't matter.

_________________
mattie
http://maashes.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Epic old school size trees
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:43 pm
Posts: 2489
Location: UK
Im not so much bothered by them being too small as not being varied enough. The thing about trees is they they start off small and get bigger... so can be in a wide range of sizes even for the same species.

Also I’m not so sure trees are incorrectly scaled. I mean compared to the varying sizes of models. They do look wrong in today’s world of “true scale” (as if there was ever a reference for what is true) titans. But the trees did come first after all.

_________________
Kyrt's Battle Result Tracker (forum post is here)
Kyrt's trade list


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Epic old school size trees
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:43 pm
Posts: 1283
Location: Devon, UK
m_folais wrote:
It is true the trees are small. If they were the correct size, they would be unplayable. In Epic they are more tokens representing a design concept. Area terrain. As long as you can recognize what the object represents and the limitation of the object then it doesn't matter.

I agree that we're just using them as tokens, so the size isn't that critical, but larger trees definitely aren't unplayable, for exactly the same reason!

For example:
Image

Image

Image

Although this is partly because we play area terrain as being as high as the highest element within it, so tall woodlands are needed to block LoS to/from Titans.

P.S. Apologies if my earlier post came across as aggressive. :-(


Kyrt wrote:
Also I’m not so sure trees are incorrectly scaled. I mean compared to the varying sizes of models. They do look wrong in today’s world of “true scale” (as if there was ever a reference for what is true) titans. But the trees did come first after all.

I generally work from the GW infantry (and the slightly smaller pre-3rd ed stuff, at that. Which puts a mature beech tree (up to 160 feet/40 metres) at 150-160mm high.

_________________
The Wargaming Trader
NetEA Death Guard Army Champion


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Epic old school size trees
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:39 pm
Posts: 4
m_folais wrote:
Alpharius wrote:
Do you have a link to the trees you bought that you think fit best?

I'm not seeing any packs for $15 - but I'm seeing a bunch of trees that might work well?

Thanks!


I got mine at a Con. They are 25 on the site. 25% off until 6APR.


Which type/size did you end up getting?


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Epic old school size trees
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 7:56 pm
Posts: 617
Location: Lancaster, PA
[/quote] I got mine at a Con. They are 25 on the site. 25% off until 6APR.[/quote]

Which type/size did you end up getting?[/quote]

I got these two
https://thewargamingcompany.com/product ... ees-short/
https://thewargamingcompany.com/product ... ees-short/

_________________
mattie
http://maashes.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

cron

Powered by phpBB ® Forum Software © phpBB Group
CoDFaction Style by Daniel St. Jules of Gamexe.net