Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Modular Epic / Exodus Wars 6mm buildings and 15mm stuff

Post subject: Re: Modular Epic / Exodus Wars 6mm buildings
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah you're really in to something here! You have a customer in me if you start selling buildings.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This is just the approach that has been missing! The commitment towards design openness is what makes you unique. (Even more so than some well known but impractically expensive resin 10 mm offerings...) Please try to keep as much of that philosophy as possible. There are lots of nice prefab stuff out there already.

About the actual sections, they do look very nice as is. I wonder how it will feel with paint on. There seems to be quite a lot of flat spaces on most tiles. Are these to be more elaborately detailed? Also, would it be possible to maybe tone the gothic elements down slightly in future designs? Perhaps it's just me, but maybe not every single structure in the grim dark future needs to look like a full blown cathedral.

I like where your ideas about roads are heading too. Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for all the comments.

@moredakka - The tiles are permanently glued to the box. However there is of course nothing stopping you from placing the tiles on your own board. I've only really created the interlinking boxes because I live in a flat now so a stackable gaming board may be the only girlfriend-compatible option for keeping in our limited storage area! I will probably make them in a few different heights, to add variety to the boards or to reduce thier bulk and add river cut ins etc. What storage issues are you thinking of exactly, so I can try and work something out?

@Nitpick - Thanks, I'm really trying to keep things as customisable as possible, but there are a lot of unforeseen problems with creating the completely modular buildings. I'll do the set buildings or a compromise between the two and then revisit the idea. With regards to the sections, do you mean on the buildings or floor tiles? For the buildings yes, plenty more detail is due to go on when the design is finalised. Ive tried painting a few individual walls, and have developed a kind of paint-on-able surface primer with very fine grit in it to aid drybrushing after. I can certainly develop different styles for the buildings, I'm planning on having a kind of dropdown menu on the webstore where the purchaser can choose how many floors he would like and also which style he would like each in. The 28mm pieces I had tested out a few years ago (few examples below) had a more sci-fi military feel to them, I'll have that style in there and also a more 'civilian' looking one too.

Attachments:
photo 5.JPG
photo 5.JPG [ 99.44 KiB | Viewed 3779 times ]
photo 4.JPG
photo 4.JPG [ 78.54 KiB | Viewed 3779 times ]
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG [ 91.12 KiB | Viewed 3779 times ]
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG [ 91.35 KiB | Viewed 3779 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Was just thinking that once buildings are fixed to the box top you end up with roughly a six inch square box sized module to try and store, and then you have to times that by how many modules you build. This would seem to take up a lot of space or are the buildings still removable?

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ahh I see,

I shall probably make the boxes about one inch high in the end. There will also be 'flat' 15cm/30cm square boards to attach the tiles to if people prefer.

The buildings are removable. The building in the photo was made with a 10cm square base to test out if it could just plug in to the tile system effectively, which it does I think. It doesn't need to be glued in, and so if you leave one tile from either side of a board square off then the buildings can slot in and be removable. Also if you have a few spare tiles painted up, these could just be placed down unglued if you don't want a building in that particular place for a game, but I'll make larger 'blanking' tiles for this purpose too maybe. The buildings can also be based on an entirely separate base with attached pavement with rounded edges that simply gets placed on top of the board like normal scenery, a purchaser will be able to chose what they prefer. So far I think this actually looks better though as it creates another layer to the board and gives some relief from all the harsh right angles found everywhere else in the designs so far!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ah i see that explains it. Sound like a really flexible set up you are going for. Yes i would prefer round corners on the curbs myself.

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I was thinking about the wall sections. Good to hear they'll be elaborated. Designwise, I think the multiple window heights bothered me. Looked too church-like for my tastes. Equal heights would somehow suggest more of a nonreligious use. Also, try to keep windows very tall and narrow, and you can't go wrong. Again, I really like what you are doing and hope you might find any of my points of view useful.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looks great! I'd certainly be interested in picking some of that up when it's available too :)

Pending on the exact scale you could also get the Dropzone Commander peeps interested as well!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Those bases with metal sheets you showed a pic of - how did the experiments with magnets work out? Removable characters is something I've been thinking about for a while. I know you can get 5mm x 1mm disc shaped neodynium magnets but the thinner the better really. Too strong, too weak?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've actually just recieved a parcel full of magnets to test stuff out with. I've sourced some 5mm x 0.5 mm ones, and they should be powerfull enough but will let you know. My only corncern about making them too powerful is not reacting well when placed next to other magnetised components, like my tank turrets etc, and flying off never to be seen again!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I ordered some yesterday of the same size, found a cheap supplier, should be interesting

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So, I've reworked the designs for the city tiles and they should now be easier to assemble, as well as having a nice clip-together system. I was going to change the tile size to 20cm x 20cm. For those of you in the know, how would this work alongside different game systems? I know Epic Armaggedon is typically played on a 120 x 180 cm table, which works out very well, but how about other systems? Would the average table size divide by 20? I'm thinking I could also maybe make the same system work for DZC and other 10mm games by adding an extra 1/3rd to the size of all the buildings and tiles to scale it up, but I am not really sure about table sizes etc.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You can almost certainly put me down for some of those buildings. I have plenty of ruins but only cardboard complete buildings, which are getting rather worn out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
Dropzone Commander (DzC) is a 10mm scale sci-fi tabletop wargame, devised for mass battles between two or more players. The rules are designed for efficient and dynamic games which can be played on a standard 4'x4' table (although larger tables work well also!).

from the DZC homepage.

I think 120x120 and 120x180 should be suffcient for most games i would assume. But I am not the most expirienced player.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

20cm x 20cm seems a little small for a tile and you would need quite a few to cover a normal 6x4 ft table which all have to be locked together or they can move apart. Setting up 54 tiles would take some time. Most other modular systems seem to work with a 30cm/1ft square system and setting up 24 tiles would surely save you quite a bit of time.

Matt

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next