Login |  Register |  FAQ

Khorne Titan Legions

Post subject: Khorne Titan Legions
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Neal's done a great job of helping me out with fluff on a Nurgle titan legion.

Anyone got any background on a Khorne-aligned traitor titan legion? There's got to be some, surely?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Not much, I'm afraid. The Nurgle Legion (Death's Heads) was the best detailed of them all.

IIRC the Khornate Legion was named Flaming Skulls but I don't remember seeing any background info for it. Not even in the old Adeptus Titanicus era WDs.

The best bet would probably be to hunt down the Citadel Journal issue where there was rules for a daemon titan of Khorne. If that has no info on it then I don't know where to look.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hadn't the old Imperator (of Khorne) conversion article inthe old Fanatic magazine mention of its legion?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Legio Magna
Flaming Skulls
Symbo:l Flaming horned skull
Colour: Red to yellow blend,yellow carapace with black/red tiger stripes

Homeworld: Esteban VIII
Note the Legio "Tempestor", Stormlords who also fell to chaos came from Esteban III

During Horus Heresy.

Soon the defenders of Eternity Wall Space Port had been swept aside by the merciless assault and the hordes of the Warmaster were in total possession of the spacefield. More and more intricately wrought dropships descended from orbit. They towered over the landing ground like nightmare skyscrapers. The dark runes on their sides glowed evilly in the gloom. Hundred-metre high doors opened in their kilometre long sides. From their red depths Titans, ten times the height of a man, emerged. They were warped giants; the armour of their carapace fused and moulded into new shapes by the power of Chaos. Within them were men melded to their machines. Some of the hideous Titans had strange and potent weapons, others were a bizarre hybrid of the organic and the machine. Metal tentacles lashed, spiked tails whipped back and forth. Engines roared like the voices of angry beasts. Banners fluttering, the Titans of Storm Lords and the Flaming Skulls legions marched forth. At Lions Gate Space Port the traitors welcomed the towering black war engines of the Khornate host. Minotaurs and trolls and cultists seethed like angry ants around their bases.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:48 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Titan legions is pretty much the only area in which Khorne forces have been shortchanged.  There is background on the Festering Death Legion (Nurgle), Suns of Damnation (Tzeentch), and House Devine (Slaanesh Knight Household), but no Khorne legion has ever been detailed in any GW source I've ever seen.

There is, obviously, the Banelord titan, and there have been 2 Imperator-Khorne conversions - Abominatus in an old CJ article, and WMN's Caligula entry into the titan design competition.  However, none of those articles actually go into any legion issues or description.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:11 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

(Mojarn Piett @ Apr. 04 2007,08:48)
Not much, I'm afraid. The Nurgle Legion (Death's Heads) was the best detailed of them all.

IIRC the Khornate Legion was named Flaming Skulls but I don't remember seeing any background info for it.

Flaming Skulls, Stormlords and Death's Heads are not explicitly described as belonging to any particular power.  Their attributions to Tzeentch, Slaanesh, and Nurgle, respectively, comes from the game pieces in the Horus Heresy game.  Those legions' pieces were colored to match the powers.

The background text that Ratty quoted pretty much states, or at least very strongly implies, that the Flaming Skulls and Stormlords are Khornate - "towering black war engines of the Khornate host" - so there is a conflict.  I tend to go with text over a game piece, so I listed them as "Probably Khorne, possibly X" on the reference sheet.

That also throws the question of the nature of the game piece colors into serious doubt.  If those legions are pretty clearly not directly associated with the game piece color allegiance, would it hold for the others?  It's still evidence, but pretty weak at that point.

No reference is ever made to the Death's Heads being Nurgle anywhere beyond the color of the game piece.  There is another potential Nurgle connection in that they scoured Istvaan III which, iirc, was after it was virus bombed but it's not specific in reference to Nurgle.  They are featured as the legion that breached the Imperial Palace and are as a result hated by the Fire Wasps who are the Palace Guard.  They are not represnted as being Nurglesque in either the Horus Heresy text, nor in any of the Fire Wasp background material, which would seem to be a notable omission.  

Given the dubious authority of the game piece and the lack of any direct reference, I've counted them as "probably undivided, possibly Nurgle" on the sheet.

===

The whole pursuit of titan legion background is rather like trying to fit together various versions of medieval texts into an "authoritative" version.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm good for Nurgle - the Silver Scythes/Festering Death will do nicely.

Damn, so there's no known Khorne titan legion? I was sure there was one, must've been imagining it. Odd, since the warlord models are Banelords.

Do you guys thing I can definitively define the Flaming Skulls as Khorne to go in my World Eaters army list? I suppose I don't need to define a legio to go with them, but it'd be nice.

Or I suppose I could make up a new legio. That's effort.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You could always create your own Khornate legion.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:28 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I'd say Flaming Skulls are the closest you will get to an "official" Khorne legion.

But really... how much effort is it to make up a legion?  It's basically a handful of names - legion, primarch (maybe), forgeworld (maybe) - and maybe an emblem or color scheme if you don't want to default to the Khorne standard.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm sure the Death Heads appeared in Storm of Iron allied with the Iron Warriors, but with no Power Allegiance.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(mageboltrat @ Apr. 04 2007,20:31)
I'm sure the Death Heads appeared in Storm of Iron allied with the Iron Warriors, but with no Power Allegiance.

They did, it was also mentioned in the index astrates article that they have close connections with legio mortis.  So it should be safe to assume that they are undevided.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Yes the Imperator Titan Dies Irae is featured in Storm of Iron.