Login |  Register |  FAQ

Imperial and Orky forces

Post subject: Imperial and Orky forces
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Orangasem ... Your Av looks familiar to me ?   A military Unit ?  And, I take it, IN = Imperial Navy (Air and Space craft) ?   And my IG, SMs, etc. are painted that way too, Daf !  :D

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(dafrca @ Aug. 24 2006,01:32)

(zap123 @ Aug. 21 2006,18:33)
Yeah, I've always been anti-allies. ?Takes away from the inherent strengths/weaknesses and flavour of the various armies if you can just merc in some allies to cover up your weak spots.

I think there is a big differance between "Allies" and painting my IG up for specific armies or just as one big pile of IG.

IF I understood the original question, I did not take it to mean Allies.

Well - I'm curious about both - for examply, I'm painting up my SMs and IGs and Ad Mech stuff with similar bases etc to permit their use together as allies, if the occasion arises, but also to permit a unifying theme. Thirdly, I would also not hesitate to use an SM army made up of units from two chapters, although I would try to do this with a modicum of logic (ie a good excuse  :p ) which reflects the chapter history (that explains why I prefer to create my own chapters  :p ). In fact, I think I find the basing a more worrying issue than using different schemes or armies - I would hate to use polar base and verdant forest base units together, even if they are from the same squad! Unless I can find a fluffy excuse, anyway...
And yes, I did have campaigns in mind too, as OrangeSM sugested - and don't forget OGBM and Speed Freaks  :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:52 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

(dafrca @ Aug. 24 2006,00:32)
I know one person who has painted up his Eldar in "armies" based on the craft worlds. He would never take his troops from one and his falcons from another. They all have unique bases and everything.

In my IG pile I have Olive Green, Grey, Tan, Desert Yellow, and Black. All are IG. But I have no issue with saying, Gee I would like six Lemen Russ Companies so I will play three Grey and three Olive. Some people would never do that. They paint up a Grey Army, then an Olive one. They would never field them mixed.

In which case, I would still not mix unless it was a specific scenario narrative.

Still, since all of my forces come from either 'plastic world' or 'resin world' or 'metal world' where the planet is made up of plastic, metal or resin dust of different colours, and so they paint their camo in colours to match (my Tau are from 'resin world' and sport a 'resin grey' colour over everything!), it doesnt come up very often!...  :p

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(CyberShadow @ Aug. 24 2006,10:52)
Still, since all of my forces come from either 'plastic world' or 'resin world' or 'metal world' where the planet is made up of plastic, metal or resin dust of different colours, and so they paint their camo in colours to match (my Tau are from 'resin world' and sport a 'resin grey' colour over everything!), it doesnt come up very often!...  :p

:laugh:
wow - a perfect camo! Wonder if L-4 knows about this!  :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I can definitely see a coalition of marines to do a massive attack in a smaller campaign.  Say it is a war on a world where Marine units have sent different amounts of forces.  One Chapter has a few companies, two or three have a full company, a half dozen other have a few squads.  Depending on the size of the operation I can definitely see the force using a mix of those half dozen squads to conduct particular task.

My Avatar is a colored version of the Double Eagle from the Dan Abnett book.

Yes IN is Imperial Navy - this includes the majority of Imperial Aircraft and almost all Imperial Spacecraft.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, "V," my S-2/Intell Sec. is aware of this type of "Camo!" :D

So that is where I saw that "Eagle", "O!"

We use the SM1 Off-Board Spt Rules (OBS) for Aircraft and Spacecraft Fire Support (Orbital Weapons Platforms - OWP) with a some of E40K and E:A rules. The SM1 OBS rules are pretty good... ?

I was trained to call-in mortars, FA, CAS and Naval Gunfire, when I was a younger man in the Army... ?We don't consider CAS, OWP, etc. as Allies... it's just a form of fire support.

No real army (or Sci-fi Force!) would go into battle with out fire support, if it was available...

We simply use the 1/3 TBL for OBS... 1/3 of your Total Points can be use on OBS... :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I am a young man in the Air Force.  And I agree it isnt Allies and I dont think Space Marines should be considered Allies to Imperial Guard, they are more like special operations troops rather than allies.

Allies would be more like having Eldar along side Imperial or something similiar.

I think it would be cool to have a Total Force list - that included the whole range of units for each particular race/empire.  This already exist for the Tau.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The only problem with a total force list is it really should be proportional to prevent exploiting.

So that's a maximum of 5% of your army list to spend on Marines then. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well not nessecarily proportional but restricted.  I can see a limit of 20% being SM and 15% being AM and 15% IN.  Just an idea.  May be better to develop a full theatre/world campaign for E:A and Aeronautica  Imperilias (with Kill Team/Combat Patrol games for special operations!) that has list for the campaign and you have resource/reinforcement/supply cost for units and build a vast army for the campaign.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

With the SM1 "Allied" rules the Main Force can take up to Rgt, where Allies, only up to Bn level (or equivalent) ... So an IG Rgt, could have an SM Bn and/or a Squat Bn Equivalent OPCONed (Operational Control) for the battle/game. ?But SMs could not use IG stuff or Squat etc. ... the Rgt and Bns would fight as separate units, but in support of the overall operational OBJs ... ?After leading an Air Assault Plt and commanding a Mech Co., in the past ('79-'90) I know how difficult coordination between units can be ! :D