Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Your space marine chapters

Post subject: Your space marine chapters
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, I remember that quote, we all laughed and said it was G/W's excuse for painting AFVs and power armor in "pretty colors" ! :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Mojarn Piett @ 02 2003 Dec.,07:23)
Hmm, now how did a marine put it..."Camouflage is the colour of fear... I have no need to hide from my foes... I have no fear of death. My colors I wear openly, they proclaim louder than any words, 'I am proud to live - I am proud to die'. " -Commander Carab Culln, Red Scorpions. ?:;):

Seconds before he was offed by a gretchin, I suspect...
I guess even orcs - Blood Axes at least - are craftier than the SMs...

My choice of colours was, however, determined by two factors:
1 - the Ares Guard descend from the Legio Fausta, or Sons of Janus as they were known (see my fluff some posts back). Janus was a mythological double-faced character in Greek mythology - this is reflected in the two colours, which also represent the chapter's modern history - an allegiance to the Ultramarines (blue) and the Adeptus Mechanicus (metallic brass). The white stripe down the middle represents the Emperor shining through....
2 - ...better than a Macdonalds ad any day. Ok, I couldn't decide what colour to paint it and tried all these colours (+ some), and settled for a mix of the lot, and I won't change it, not after one month trying to decide! So there!
I should stick to Orks... :{

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Orks - Sneaky, yes ... but as far as tactics ... no ... ?:;):

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Orks have a viceral sort of cunning. They are quite capable of nasty surpirses, ambushes even brilliant plans. They lack depth in their planning though and are prone to repeating things when they work with no idea that the victims can and will modify their tactics to cope. Orks, dont adapt well to last minutes changes.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Much like the Japanese Army of WWII ... :;):

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Much like the Japanese Army of WWII ...

All too true, even to the end they thought suicide was avalid tactic for victory.....

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

And in the end they lost more men and inturn the war ...  To quote a historian on the History Channel, "They were 'gifted' amateurs."  In the battle for Manila, they lost around 17,000-20,000; the US about 1100. That says it all ...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Part of their problem was that they still espoused a samurai code of personal honor that doesn't really fit well in modern combat.

Time and time again when they were losing all they would come up with were futile banzai charges, all in name of the warrior code "bushido".

This fosters a notion that human life is not valuable, after all one of their most popular sayings was:

"Duty is heavier than a mountain, death is as light as a feather".

One of the reasons the US military is so efficient is that they recognize that the most valuable asset is the trained soldier. You can always get another tank or plane, but a veteran soldier is hard to replace.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The ultimate weapon has been and always will be a well trained soldier ... ?and is an asset that should not be wasted. ?But I'm biased ... :;): ?Of course ... ?:D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

If you notice why western armies tend to be better, its not only becuase of better equipment, but precisely what you state, that the well trained soldiers who pilot those weapons.

Let us remember the largest gains by the germans in WWII were with inferior equipment. It was the germans superior training and doctrine that gave them victory.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:03 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

All very true.  A weapon system is only as good as the trooper behind it.  And the UK and French in 1940 had more and better AFV's then the German's did, but the Germans knew how to use them in combined arms units.  And it wasn't until 1943 that the rest of the Western Armies caught on.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep. It's a lucky thing Mr. Stalin decided to shoot Tukhachevsky in the early 30's. Otherwise I'd probably be speaking Russian now. And living somewhere in Siberia.

The Soviet army had in 1939 more tanks than the western armies combined, even when including Germany. However, they were spread amongst infantry divisions and there were no tanks units capable of independent operation. That and an unsuitable infantry doctrine accounted for their less than startling success in the Winter War.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Not to mention, that the purge of the Generals by Uncle Joe, contributed to Hitler's success in Barbarossa.  The Russians lacked any real functional knowledge of combined arms warfare cost them dearly.  Fortunately Zhukov and a few others were around to fix things and the Soviets were willing to take very heavy casualities ...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Mother Russia has always two things going for her, losts of land and lots of people and a willingness to sacrifice both for victory.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7