Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Craftworld Mymeara (Eldar Tank List)

Post subject: Re: Craftworld Mymeara (Eldar Tank List)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Think I've fixed the typos.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm sort of inclined to agree with Greg. The lists are getting a bit too focused on the "this flavor is the ONLY one that can take This Cool Tank", usually in ways that deviate from the current 40k/IA fluff/army lists.

I'd rather see Yme-Loc as the "tanks and walkers" list (with the full complement of tanks, a War Walker warhost, and an inability to buy non-mech infantry). Likewise, the Lynx should be available to all Craftworlds, as should the Hornet and Warp Hunter.

As to Mymeara, it would be great to see them get unique access to Wraithseers (though Iyanden should probably have these, too), Shadow Spectres, and Corsair allies, the last of which perhaps as an upcosted 0-1 host.

The Corsair host could allow Void Raven Phoenix bombers, Warp Hunters and Fire Storms with slightly better to hit scores, and the combination of the Swooping Hawk and Dark Reaper profiles for Corsair infantry. Void Raven Phoenix Bombers would be up-armed variants, and purchased as usual under the Titans and Flyers section.

Post subject: Re: Craftworld Mymeara
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

PFE100 wrote:
Evil and Chaos wrote:
The Yme-Loc list:

- Doesn't have the new tanks (both types of Lynx, plus the Warp Hunter).
- Has a mega wraithgate that looks too good to me***.
- Has Hornets as a rather awkward upgrade rather than a formation in their own right.
- Has Aspect Warriors that are too cheap.

(the below done in order to the above)
- So want stopping you adding them to the list.

The Yme-Loc list already has too much stuff IMO. It does not need more.

Quote:
- So that item could be dropped from the list or Say that only DC3 units can use it.

DC3 would still be hard to balance IMO. Revenant Titans, Cobras, both would greatly benefit.

Quote:
- So make them a unit in their own right, under the support option.
-So change the points to the Aspects Warriors.

So what’s stopping you from contacting Chroma and asking if you could take over the Yme-Loc list and make the changes? [/quote]
Yme-Loc has a somewhat different focus - SHT's and Titans, and enablers for them like WE capable gates.

Even if I took over as list Champion from Chroma, the theme is different.

My list's theme concentrates more on the AV's & smaller WE's (the bigger WE's are restricted, or deleted entirely).

Quote:
Host

Engines of Vaul War host----Two Engines of Vaul chosen, in any combination, from the following list: Cobra, Scorpion, Storm Serpent.
Swords of Vaul War host-----One Farseer unit and seven Falcons. Up to two Falcons may be replaced with Fire Storms at no additional cost.
****** of Vaul War host----One Farseer unit and seven Warp Hunters. Up to two Warp Hunters may be replaced with Fire Storms at no additional cost. Replace Three Warp Hunters with Fire Prisms for +15 points each.
****** of Vaul War host---- 3 Lnyx war Engines

Oh go easy, since these were just ideas thats came off the top of my head while reading through this post.
Regards
Greg

Going easy, I'll say that Eldar lists generally have only 2 host choices, not 4 or more.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

austinitor wrote:
I'm sort of inclined to agree with Greg. The lists are getting a bit too focused on the "this flavor is the ONLY one that can take This Cool Tank", usually in ways that deviate from the current 40k/IA fluff/army lists.

I'd rather see Yme-Loc as the "tanks and walkers" list (with the full complement of tanks, a War Walker warhost, and an inability to buy non-mech infantry). Likewise, the Lynx should be available to all Craftworlds, as should the Hornet and Warp Hunter.

As to Mymeara, it would be great to see them get unique access to Wraithseers (though Iyanden should probably have these, too), Shadow Spectres, and Corsair allies, the last of which perhaps as an upcosted 0-1 host.

Here's the thing - it's easy to say that most craftworlds should have access to most things (Lynxes, Hornets, Warp Hunters, Vampire Hunters, etc.).

In practice, doing that either adds imbalances, or ends up with various bloated lists.

So you have to concentrate on one or two core themes per list.

Yme-Loc, to my eye, spreads its net too wide. It has SHT's. It has superGates. It has the Avatar. If I had to make a call, I'd say its primary focus was the Super-Heavies in the form of Titans & SHT's, because that's what the SuperGates synergise with.

I feel this Mymeara list, in concept, is more tightly focused - AV tank formations, Mounted Guardian formations, with a restricted selection of everything else.

In general, I prefer lists with a tighter focus. I think they're easier to balance, and have more character too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:
In general, I prefer lists with a tighter focus. I think they're easier to balance, and have more character too.

And remember that nothing is stopping you from using Ulthwè-painted minis with a Mymeara list or an Alaitoc list. Think of the lists like the standard doctrine of the Craftworld - it's not the only way they fight, only the most common. The big 5 (especially) are capable of fielding any kind of force you'd like at the small force levels of an epic game.

It also allows us to introduce new units without pulling all the established lists back into Development or Experimental.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

PFE100 wrote:
Thank Evil and Chaos for going easy newbie. ;D

"DC3 would still be hard to balance IMO. Revenant Titans, Cobras, both would greatly benefit."

So would a trail run of only deploying 5 cm from the mega wraithgate be an idea ? Or that the mega wraithgate can only be used as the Blitz objective work?

Why have it at all in this list?

Why not give it to a more conventional list, where balance issues won't be compounded by also creating a new style of play?

Quote:
"My list's theme concentrates more on the AV's & smaller WE's (the bigger WE's are restricted, or deleted entirely)."

So why the phantom or warlock Titian? I would class these as heavies and IMO would drop them from the list. Yes the argument will be that they are icon of the eldar and add some heavy fire power. You are giving the option to use Cobra or Scorpion and the lynx. That should be enough firepower with a few Revenant Titans.

I did delete the Warlock Titan.

I kept the Phantom Titan because it appears extensively in the Imperial Armour book that I've based this list on ("The Doom of Mymeara").

Quote:
"Yme-Loc, to my eye, spreads its net too wide. It has SHT's. It has superGates. It has the Avatar. If I had to make a call, I'd say its primary focus was the Super-Heavies in the form of Titans & SHT's, because that's what the SuperGates synergise with."

If put myself into your shoes then I can see want you talking about and can agree with you, but if I pop another set of shoes on, then I can see it just as AV list with infantry support. It also can be said to be a limited Mechanised Infantry list. It all depends on how you want to build the list.

Yes, it depends on how you want to build the list - because the list has IMO too many options. It can be a whole bunch of different styles of list.

Quote:
"Here's the thing - it's easy to say that most craftworlds should have access to most things (Lynxes, Hornets, Warp Hunters, Vampire Hunters, etc.). In practice, doing that either adds imbalances, or ends up with various bloated lists.

So sound like a program/testing issue, if this happens and like most programs the testing is done in a strict environment or under strict control. Since it’s a gaming community shouldn't it be looking at all possible combos, to throw up all possible issues. So adding new items to existing list/s doesn’t cause imbalances.
There should be no reason why a basic list can’t contain all items and not cause a bloated list, I think you are looking at each list having a new item attached. Where it would be better just to add it to the basic list(do the eldar have a basic list ? ) and to the theme list that the new item is mainly for.

No army in Epic has a "basic" list. It's against Epic's design style to have generic "Imperial Guard" or "Eldar" or "Ork" lists in that manner.
Each list in Epic is supposed to represent a specific army type. Thus you get "Steel Legion Imperial Guard" who concentrate on mechanised formations, or "Biel Tan Eldar" who have greater than normal access to Aspect Warriors and a unique tank, etc. Each list is supposed to have a different mix of formations, and units, and a different playstyle.

Quote:
"In general, I prefer lists with a tighter focus. I think they're easier to balance, and have more character too."

Everyone to their own, I find that’s some of this can be to blinkers begin applied and the bigger picture is lost.

I'll note again, Epic has no "generic catch-all" lists.
You won't find any "base" list that contains everything one faction can possibly have.

I recommend reading the first page and a bit or so of this article by the designer of Epic for a bit more on this topic:
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_Cus ... Freaks.pdf

Quote:
"Going easy, I'll say that Eldar lists generally have only 2 host choices, not 4 or more."

Sorry, wants that based on fluff or Intel, something else? Don’t take it the wrong way, I'm trying to see why that’s the case and understand why you think that way. I have not read or seen anything fluff wise that state it should be that way. If anything they should be really force flexible and not restrictive.

The more flexibility you have in a list, the more the core theme is diminished.

If you have total and complete flexibility, you have no theme left at all. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ulrik wrote:
Evil and Chaos wrote:

And remember that nothing is stopping you from using Ulthwè-painted minis with a Mymeara list or an Alaitoc list. Think of the lists like the standard doctrine of the Craftworld - it's not the only way they fight, only the most common. The big 5 (especially) are capable of fielding any kind of force you'd like at the small force levels of an epic game.

It also allows us to introduce new units without pulling all the established lists back into Development or Experimental.

I concur with Ulrik's points above.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
I will give the list a test run,will hope for next Monday.

I'm extremely appreciative of that. Thankyou.

I'm hoping to start playtesting it myself in the next few weeks too.

Quote:
So when giving you feed back about the list are things that you are looking for??

A few things I'd be interested in would include:

- Does the list "feel" right?
- Is it vaguely balanced?
- Are some objective types easy to obtain, and others hard to obtain?
- What's too good?
- What's not good enough?
- What's completely useless?
- Does the list have any critical weaknesses that the enemy can easily exploit? Does it have any unbeatable strengths?
- Was it fun to play?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The list on the first page is compatible with the NetEA updated unit stats, as found on this forum and in the NetEA army compendium.

The list on the second page is compatible with the EpicUK tournament group's eldar lists, which use a different set of stats that are more like those found in the original Swordwind rulebook.

The main difference is the Fire Prisms, which are dedicated anti-tank shooters in the NetEA list, but more all-rounders in the EUK list.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:

Note quite :)
The E-UK list Guardians should be given the option of "Guardian transport", and both lists should make the choice of transport or other upgrades.

Otherwise it looks intruiging. However I am not sure why you dropped the warwalkers in favour of the Rangers, I would have thought it ought to be the other way round - keep the war walkers but drop the Rangers as they are more mobile and have better shooting capabilities. You might just consider using different upgrade options
  • 3x for 100, upgrade with 3x for +100
  • 4x for 150, upgrade 0-2 for +25 each

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ginger wrote:
Evil and Chaos wrote:

Note quite :)
The E-UK list Guardians should be given the option of "Guardian transport",

You're right. Done.

Quote:
and both lists should make the choice of transport or other upgrades.

Have done that now. I did leave it off because I couldn't actually see any sensible situation where someone would actually take Wraithlords & Wave Serpents... it's like adding Dreadnoughts to Space Marine formations that have Rhinos - you just wouldn't take the upgrades in that combination I think.

Quote:
Otherwise it looks intruiging.

Thank'ee.

Quote:
However I am not sure why you dropped the warwalkers in favour of the Rangers, I would have thought it ought to be the other way round - keep the war walkers but drop the Rangers as they are more mobile and have better shooting capabilities.

You're right, War Walkers are a better fit than Rangers. I'll remove the Rangers and put in a War Walker formation.

Quote:
You might just consider using different upgrade options
  • 3x for 100, upgrade with 3x for +100
  • 4x for 150, upgrade 0-2 for +25 each

I've always found them to under-perform, personally. How about 125pts for 4?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next