Login |  Register |  FAQ

Tau vs IG Batrep

Post subject: Tau vs IG Batrep
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Utah, pick a Pacific Island the other half of the year.
Battle Report Tau vs IG Steel Legion

Introduction
This is the first of what is going to be three battle reports used to showcase, and discuss, Jaldon?s ?Way of the Tau? tactical concepts. In order to keep things even Jaldon is going to be required to use his standard Tau List (What he calls the Vorash?a Shasal?a), unmodified, for all three battles, while on the other side of the coin his opponents will be in the box until they hand in their army list, which is at least the day before the battle is to be fought. After which both players will be informed who they will be facing and what army they will be using so that they can write up their, ?plans for the battle? so we can present them to you readers in this report (And so we can hold them over their heads during the AABS). We will be using the experimental pop-up rules, the experimental assault rules, and we will be treating the Tau XV8s as Infantry, throughout all three battle reports. We are doing the first two because we like them and feel they are going to be instituted into the rules pretty much as they are now, the second is being done because it is a proposed idea we wish to present, and we feel will not have an adverse effect on these reports. What follows is a brief explanation of what Jaldon means by the ?Way of the Tau? , and it will be presented in each report for players to reference.

?The Way of the Tau?
Rather then write the article ?The Way of the Tau?, and then debate it?s merits using theory, and then do a couple of batreps, I decided to flip it around and do the batreps first. So as not to leave the readers of these reports in the dark, and so all of you can hold it over my later, here is briefly what I mean by ?The Way of the Tau?.

Before discovering ?The Way? I used the same basic tactics of containment and maneuver while taking advantage of the Tau special traits whenever I could, thus I was always trying to hold the enemy off while wearing them down with firepower. The Vorash?a Shasal?a (Steppe Riders) Army list flips this around and concentrates on maximizing  the Tau special traits before using containment and maneuver to defeat the enemy. Once this leap of faith had been taken the Tau Army suddenly became capable of swift, decisive, offensive action, thus instead of just reacting and hoping for the best, they were taking the battle to the enemy and throwing them off balance.

To do this the Vorash?a Shasal?a.................
(1) Blankets the entire area of contact with markerlights so that guided weapons are being delivered with their full effect.
(2) Uses almost the entire army?s firepower forward, so as close to the enemy as is needed to bring enough firepower to bear to shatter key enemy formations in a single activation.
(3) Uses Coordinated Fire Attacks designed to be just as destructive, and decisive, as a normal Firefight Assault would be.
(4) Fully exploits the plethora of disrupt weapons available to the army, and then uses them to insure that Coordinated Fire Attacks achieve decisive results.

Now I am not going to guarantee that I am going to win every battle in the series, and I cannot even guarantee that I?ll be able to show off all of the possibilities found using ?The Way?,  but I do know I am not going to get blown out of any of the battles, and that I will be able to show a good bit of what I do mean by it.

Jaldon

IG Steel Legion: J.D.
Tau: Jaldon
Judge: Bob

IG Steel Legion Army List

1st Regiment HQ Company (550pt)
1xSupreme Commander, 12xInfantry, 7xChimera, 1xHydra

2nd Mech Company (450pts)
1xCommander, 12xInfantry, 7xChimera, 1xHydra

3rd Tank Company (875pts)
10xLeman Russ Tanks, 6xInfantry, 2xOgryn, 5xChimera

4th Storm Trooper Platoon (350pts)
8xStorm Troopers, 4xValkyries

5th Rough Rider Platoon (150pts)
6xRough Riders

6th Rough Rider Platoon (150pts)
6xRough Riders

7th SHT Platoon (200pts)
1xShadowsword

8th Artillery Battery (250pts)
3xManticores

Tau Army List (Vorash?a Shasal?a)

1st Fire Warrior Cadre (375pts)
8xFire Warrior, 4xDevilfish, w/Ethreal

2nd Fire Warrior Cadre (300pts)
8xFire Warrior, 4xDevilfish

3rd Fire Warrior Cadre (300pts)
8xFire Warrior, 4xDevilfish

4th Battlesuit Cadre (475pts)
4xXV8, 3xXV15, w/Shas?o

5th Battlesuit Cadre (450pts)
4xXV8, 3xXV15, w/Shas?el

6th Hammerhead Contingent (350pts)
3xHammerhead (Rail), 1xSwordfish, 1xSkyray

7th Hammerhead Contingent (325pts)
4xHammerhead (Rail), 1xSkyray

8th Pathfinder Contingent (350pts)
6xPathfinder, 3xDevilfish, 4xGun Drone

9th Gun Drone Swarm (200pts)
4xGune Drone, 4xHeavy Gun Drone

10th Assault Contingent (300pts)
1xMoray (Rail)

Steel Legion Plan
Ah so it is to be Jaldon and the Tau, not a problem my men are ready to face them and anybody else foolish enough to give them a try. The heart and soul of my Legion is the twenty three unit strong Tank Company which, in many battles, has stood up to anything thrown at it and then blown whatever ?it? was away. Protecting it?s flanks, or flank, is the Regiment HQ Company and the Mech Company, both of which often stand up whatever enemy hits them so that the tanks can get a good clean shot!  Both the Rough Rider Platoons and the Storm Trooper Platoon will blanket my rear areas with ZOCs making deep strikes sheer suicide to perform, and/or they will launch limited attacks supported by the three front line companies.

I have found Manticores to be real effective at busting up enemy concentrations, or pinning down key enemy units, and they do this well for me even though I split their fire 2-1-2-1 over four turns. The Shadowsword has one basic job, deliver the coup de grace to enemy war engines, often it?s mere presence is enough to drive enemy WEs off to the hinterlands and away from the important action. I use this army with all the finesse of a sledgehammer, it grinds it?s way forward cutting the enemy down with firepower, and then finishing them off with well supported assaults. In short I like it!

The truth is while I have heard a lot about Jaldon I?ve only met him a couple of times before, and I have never seen him play a single game of Epic-A. Also, there is something disconcerting about playing the man who wrote the article ?Building and Using Epic-A Armies?, still everybody tells me that just because Jaldon wrote the article doesn?t mean he has any idea how to actually do it, though I don?t know. Jaldon himself told me the day before the battle not to even think about the fact that we were going to be playing a batrep that would be critiqued by players world wide, just play like the game like I normally would, attack the minis on the table, and have fun in the process. Oh, he also told me to sleep with my dice under my pillow so I could get in touch with them for the coming battle, but I think I?ll skip this last bit of advice.

The Tau Plan
Cheers Bob, I must say you have definitely put me in the by putting me up against an opponent I?ve never seen play before! Bob has assured me that if I don?t take J.D. seriously enough that he will hand me my head on a platter with fifteen cents change. So having no clue what to expect I poured myself a cup of coffee, drank it down quickly, and then poked around the grounds at the bottom to see into the future. Ah, I see a Tank Company, a Mech Company, some artillery but the size isn?t coming through clear, and a company of an unknown type.

Well considering how helpful that wasn?t I am left to my own devices, so a 3,000 point battle often returns at least three companies of something, and at least a Tank and a Mech would be a safe guess. So I?ll concentrate my forces behind cover, making sure that at least two formations are within 15cms of a formation capable of launching a Coordinated Fire Attack, and then use that concentration of firepower to take two of those companies out of action as quickly as possible. Fortunately the Vorash?a Shasal?a is flexible enough that if I am wrong I?ll be able to shift troops around to line up the combinations I want to use.

Be prepared I am planning on launching actual attacks, not assaults but CFAs, that are going to drive off enemy formations in a single activation without using Kroot, Deep Strikes, or Crossfires (though I wouldn?t pass up the opportunity if it is presented). The enemy will no doubt launch counter-attacks, and I will suffer losses to them, however in practice this army is able to suffer losses and still carry out effective CFAs up to the end of the game. Well the best of luck J. D. and may the best Ta....I mean player win.

Note: Judges comments will be in parenthesis ( ) and Jaldon?s comments will be in brackets [ ].

Setup Notes: All of the Tau were deployed loaded in their Devilfish, while all the IG were deployed outside their Chimeras.

Turn 1 (Tau win Int. and keep it)

The Moray double moved up into the area between Ridge 105 and Woods B, it?s Rail Cannon and guided missiles slamming into the 8th Artillery Company destroying a Manticore and breaking the formation. The 2nd Mech Company double moved forward till it?s flanks were resting on the corner of Building A and the edge of Hill 410.

The 8th Gun Drone Swarm failed it?s initiative test and decided to advance anyways taking up a position  to the right of the gap between Hills 501 and 703. [I didn?t want to waste my command re-roll on a formation that was only going to use an advance order anyways, I really wasn?t worried about the BM.] The 5th Rough Rider Platoon double moved forward and took up a position behind the 2nd Mech Company.

The 7th Hammerhead Contingent double moved into the area just behind, and to the right, of Ridge 105 firing their Railguns and guided missiles into the 1st Regiment HQ Company (They hit one Chimera but it saved). The 6th Rough Rider Platoon double moved forward taking up a position on, but still behind, Hill 301.

The 5th Battlesuit Cadre double moved up into a position between Ridge 105 and Woods B, and in front of the 7th Hammerhead Contingent. The 4th Storm Trooper Platoon loaded up and advanced onto Hill 410 keeping the crest between themselves and the positions of most of the Tau Army.

The 6th Hammerhead Contingent double moved up in behind the 7th Hammerhead Cadre, and it also hurled it?s Railguns and guided missile fire at the 1st Regiment HQ Company (Deja Vu for Jaldon, once again one hit was scored on a Chimera and it made it?s save). The Shadowsword double moved up onto the reverse slope of Hill 410, and fired it?s Volcano Cannon at the Moray, despite being on target the deadly bolt glanced harmlessly off the war engines deflector shield.

The 3rd Warrior Cadre moved out taking up a position to the right of the Moray, and to the left of Woods B, hurling it?s guided missiles into the 1st Regiment HQ Company failing to register a single hit. [Except the free BM of course] The 1st Regiment HQ Company advanced till it?s flank rested across the face of Building C and it?s line extended back till it was just behind Hill 301. From there it poured what fire it could into the 5th Battlesuit Cadre, and though a hit was scored the XV15?s tough armor withstood the shot. [It became obvious to me at this point that J.D. was planning to move the 3rt Tank Company up onto Hill 410. I felt then, and now, that this was a mistake and all the following moves were built around that premise[

The 8th Pathfinder Contingent advanced from the base of Ridge 105 to just behind the crest, firing it?s guided missiles into the 3rd Tank Company and destroying a single Chimera. The 3rd Tank Company double moved up onto the top of Hill 410 and fired at the 5th Battlesuit Cadre blowing apart a single XV15. (The IG are now out of activations)

The 2nd Warrior Cadre advanced taking up a position just behind the 8th Pathfinder Contingent firing it?s guided missiles into the 3rd Tank Company, but failing to score a single hit. The 4th Battesuit Cadre marched taking up a position at the base of Hill 301. The 1st Warrior Cadre advanced up onto Hill 501, it?s Fire Warriors pouring out of their transports, and the formation hurling fire into the 3rd Tank Company destroying a Chimera and a unit of infantry.

End of turn 1
Rally Failures: None
IG Losses: 1xManticore, 2xChimera, 1xInfantry
Tau Losses: 1xXV15

[At this point there isn?t a single Tau formation that isn?t within 15cm of a Tau formation capable of directing it in a Coordinated Fire Attack (CFA). Add to that there isn?t a single IG Company on the table that I can?t throw at least two formations at using a CFA. Last I have markerlights up and down the entire line so when I do make my move none of the guided missiles fired are going to be going in dumb. This is exactly what I mean when I say that the Tau need to use all of their firepower forward.]

Turn 2 (Tau win Int and keep it)

The Moray carried out a sustained fire attack on the 8th Artillery Battery with it?s Rail Cannon and Guided Missiles, luck was with the Tau and the remains of the formation were destroyed. Under the direction of the 8th Pathfinder Contingent (Advance), the 9th Gun Drone Swarm (Advance) and the 6th Hammerhead Contingent (Sustained Fire) carried out a CFA on the 3rd Tank Company. By the time the smoke had cleared a single Chimera and a single Leman Russ were destroyed, the remains of five Infantry units littered the field, and the 3rd had fallen back behind Hill 410 (Besides the damage already stated the 3rd had suffered 7xDisrupt hits, those added to the BMs already on the formation were more then enough to break them).

The 2nd Mech Company advanced bringing it?s line closer to the 9th Gun Drone Swarm and the 1st Warrior Cadre then, despite scoring a number of hits with their fire they only managed to destroy a single of the 8th?s Devilfish. The 5th Battlesuit Cadre  advanced up onto Hill 301 and poured fire into the 6th Rough Rider Platoon cutting down every single one of the Emperor?s finest cavalry.

The 1st Regiment HQ Company opened up sustained fire on the 8th Pathfinder Contingent destroying 2xDrones, and cutting down 3xPathfinders. The 1st Warrior Cadre moved it?s right flank units into a position from which they could render support to the 9th Gun Drone Swarm, and then fired on the 2nd Mech Company destroying  2xChimeras, and taking out 3xInfantry.

The Shadow sword lumbered up onto Hill 410, and once again it?s Volcano Cannon spoke, but this time the Moray?s deflector shield failed to turn aside the deadly bolt and the Tau war engine was vaporized (J.D. rolled a ?5? for damage, ouch!) The 3rd Warrior Cadre double moved deep into the IG?s table half and took up a position on the flank of the 1st Regiment HQ Company. It?s Fire Warriors deployed, and then they poured fire into the 1st cutting down 3xInfantry.

The 5th Rough Rider Platoon rode through the 2nd Mech Company and plowed straight into the 1st Warrior Cadre (Assault CC). For the loss of only 2xRough Riders they rode down 3xFire Warriors, and destroyed a single Devilfish, despite these losses the 1st only gave a little ground before firming up their line.
[Actually the Rough Riders won the assault by three, but the Ethreal makes the entire formation fearless so no extra losses were suffered, and the formation only fell back far enough to get out of the enemy?s ZOC. I have found that this formation is really good at holding a position while the rest of th earmy concentrates somewhere else on the battlefield.]
The 4th Battlesuit Cadre advanced onto the right side of the face of the 1st Regiment HQ Company and opened fire on the enemy taking out 3xInfantry, and destroying 3xChimeras, and a Hydra. (Jaldon fell one BM short of breaking the 1st)
[If time for a quick strike had been needed the 3rd Warrior Cadre and the 4th Battlesuit Cadre would have carried out a CFA on the 1st Regiment HQ Company, as I was already well ahead of the activation curve by mid-turn I didn?t see the need to carry it out as a CFA]

The 4th Storm Trooper Platoon  tore over the top of Hill 410 and plowed straight into the 9th Gun Drone Swarm and the 8th Pathfinder Contingent (Assault FF). In the ensuing fight 3xStorm Troopers fell, and 1xHeavy Gun Drone and 6xGun Drones were destroyed. Both Tau formations broke under the weight of the attack and fell back to the area of Hill 703. The 7th Hammerhead Contingent fired (Sustained) through the gap between Hill 410 and Building C and at the 3rd Tank Company cutting down 2xOgryns, and destroying 2xChimeras and 3xLeman Russ Tanks (The 3rd was broken and suffered horribly for it).

The Tau weren?t finished with the 1st Regiment HQ Company and the 2nd Warrior Cadre?s Devilfish popped up and hurled their guided missiles into the formation (Sustained fire with markerlights), but only destroyed a single Chimera. However the Guardsmen had suffered enough and fell back (Broken) to the area of Building C.

End of turn 2
Rally Failures: 8th Pathfinder Contingent (Broke), 9th Gun Drone Swarm (Broke), 3rd Tank Company (Broke), 1st Regiment HQ Company (Broke), 4th Storm Trooper Platoon
IG Losses: 4xLeman Russ, 9xChimera, 1xHydra, 2xManticores, 8xRough Riders, 2xOgryn, 3xStorm Trooper, 14xInfantry
Tau Losses: 1xMoray, 2xDevilfish, 4xFire Warrior, 3xPathfinder, 1xHeavy Gun Drone, 8xGun Drones

[Now I will not deny winning the initiative in turn two helped a lot, and most definitely reduced my possible losses for the turn, but that would not have seriously changed what I was planning on doing in turn two. The bloody nose handed to the IG in this turn occurred because all the Tau formations were well forward, all in position to carry out CFAs, and fully able to blanket the enemy front line with markerlights. This resulted in the Tau being able to maximize their firepower, carry out a CFA to knock the enemy off balance, and then keep them there throughout the turn]

Turn 3 (Tau win Int. Again! and keep it)

The 7th Hammerhead Contingent opened up on the 4th Storm Trooper Platoon (Sustained) blowing apart 4xValkyries and forcing the enemy to retire behind Hill 410 broken. The 1st Warrior Cadre then let fly on the 5th Rough Rider Platoon (sustained), and despite taking down only 2xRough Riders enough BMs were placed to break the formation which fell back to the area of Building A. (J.D. actually made four out of six saves!)

The Shadowsword double moved around behind Building C to cover the Imperial Blitz Objective, it?s Volcano Cannon blowing apart one of the 3rd Warrior Cadre?s Devilfish in the process. The 4th Battlesuit Cadre moved into Building C and poured fire into the Imperial war engine (Assault FF) heavily damaging the machine (-2xDC), and forcing it to fall back towards Woods G.

The 2nd Mech Company poured fire into the 1st Warrior Cadre cutting down 3xFire Warriors and destroying 2xDevilfish, and still though broken the Tau trooper held firm due to the presence of the Ethreal [Gotta love em] Both the 6th Hammerhead Contingent and the 2nd Warrior Cadre advanced and fired on the 2nd Mech Company (Both during separate activations, not a CFA), but they only managed to take out 2xInfantry. All remaining Tau formations rallied in place.

End of turn 3, Tau win 2-0 (Blitz and Take and Hold)

Total IG Battle Losses
17xInfantry, 3xManticore, 13xChimera, 4xLeman Russ, 2xHydra, 10xRough RIders, 2xOgryn, 3xStorm Troopers, 4xValkyries

Total Tau Battle Losses
1xXV15, 1xMoray, 5xDevilfish, 7xWarrior, 3xPathfinder, 1xHeavy Gun Drone, 8xGun Drones

AABS
J.D.?s first comment was ?If I only could have rallied the 1st and the 3rd?, and everyone couldn?t have agreed more, their lack of participation in turn three was keenly felt by the IG.
[The loss of the 1st and the 3rd for turn two was far worse then the failures of the 8th Pathfinder, and the 9th Gun Drone Swarm were to me. That said it really wasn?t so much the fact that the failures happened as much as it was that they took the steam right out of the two successful counter-attacks that J.D. had launched. So instead of having to expose formations to launch CFAs to clear them off quickly before the broken formations moved back up into the frontlines I was able to do it from a much safer distance, and play for a turn three win]
A good number of us were surprised when Jaldon deployed his Fire Warriors loaded in their Devilfish, and though it was silly for him to be hurling Guided Missiles at the 1st Regiment HQ Company and the 3rd Tank Company in turn one when they needed 6+ and 7+ to hit. But when they had a couple of them still glued to the formations at the start of turn two it became painfully obvious why Jaldon had done it.

Also, we all though for sure that the Coordinated Fire Attack on the 3rd Tank Company was doomed before it stepped off, even more so when Jaldon only managed to score three AT hits. But the large number of disrupt weapons that fired more then made up for this, and when they were combined with the BMs carried over from turn one, the 3rd was broken easily.

All agreed that it seems, at this time, that Jaldon may be on to something with his ?Way of the Tau?, no doubt it is an effective way to concentrate the Tau firepower and launch effective attacks. The question still on everyone?s minds is whether it is going to turn out to be a ?one trick poney? that will be easily countered, or a standard way to use the Tau. That will only be answered by doing another battle report, or two.

Battle AABS
It is real hard to get away from what happened to the 3rd Tank Company and then say that it?s placement was a bad move. Many of us have faced J.D.s Heavy Tank Company, tried to attack it, bounced off of it, and then been splattered by it. Nobody, more importantly including J.D., was even remotely prepared for the 3rd to be so easily put out of action by the Tau CFA. [Except for maybe me, but I admit it would have gotten real messy if my CFA had failed, no guts no glory]

So we all decided that while the attack on the 3rd was the definite turning point in the battle it would be real hard to lay the blame on J.D. as we all would have probably done more or less the same thing he had.

Bob

Tau and Eldar are up next, stay tuned!!!!!!!

Jaldon

Special Thanks to Cyber Shadow for URL'ing the images for this clutz :alien: [I had to try the new smiley]

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So I take it J.D was happy with Jaldon taking an extra 450 points into the game? 2975:3425... I may have missed something here (not sure if this was the plan for the game) but given the Tau had the extra force, would the battle have gone differently had Jaldon taken the same 3000ish points JD took? 450 was essentially the 5th Crisis cadre

edit - oops! I have to say it's a fanastic report guys. Looove the maps! and the way the battle has been written up.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Dobbsy @ 14 Oct. 2005 (06:50))
So I take it J.D was happy with Jaldon taking an extra 450 points into the game? 2975:3425...

Ouch.

Great report, as always, Jaldon!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:08 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Great report. Let me know if you want more pics hosted.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great maps and AAR !  Looks like the Tau :alien: effectively turned and rolled up the IG flank ...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:13 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I have to admit that is more or less how I pictured the Tau playing.  I've never understood why anyone would have to fire GMs without the target being marked.

Still, I have my doubts that it would have gone as well against other Russ company variants or if the IG tactics had been different.  Russ + Demolishers is also brutally tough and keeping the infantry loaded would have eliminated all those AP shots that were really what broke the tanks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote Dobbsy
So I take it J.D was happy with Jaldon taking an extra 450 points into the game? 2975:3425
End Quote

No, and J.D. was told it was a 3,500 pt battle, and we didn't notice his error until after the battle was over. Bob should have checked the list like he was supposed to :down: Bob has promised to make sure the Eldar list is up to snuff.

However, as we all had already put all the work into the report none of us felt like delaying it, or re-doing it all over again. Also the point of the report was to show the Tau used as Jaldon felt they should be used, for us winner/loser was a secondary issue. We do agree the error is painful, but wanted to get it up on the boards anyways. Besides you just won me a free Chocolate Cake Doughnut because I bet Bob that either the first or second poster would catch this error :cool:

I promise to check the Eldar list the day of the battlemyself to insure it is at or near 3,500 pts.

Quote Neal
Still, I have my doubts that it would have gone as well against other Russ company variants or if the IG tactics had been different.
End Quote

I agree, I think J.D. should have put the Tank Company behind the two Mech Companies, turned my flank, and then pushed across the table.

Quote Neal
Russ + Demolishers is also brutally tough and keeping the infantry loaded would have eliminated all those AP shots that were really what broke the tanks.
End Quote

AP Disrupt weapons can be fired at Tanks, and their hits do cause a BM, and that is what broke the Tank Company

Quote From Rule Book
"Question: Can AP weapons target armoured vehicles just to get the blast marker for coming under fire? And the corollary, can AT weapons target infantry to get a blast marker?
Answer: Yes. Formations pick up a blast marker for coming under fire even if the weapons being used cannot harm the target."
End Rule Book Quote

Disrupt weapons only need to hit to cause a BM, so even if the infantry had been loaded the disrupt weapons could have fired, and placed BMs.

Thanks for the input guys, and now that I have won the Chocolate Cake Doughnut, sorry for the screw up :80:

Jaldon :p

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:07 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think you justified your tactcal doctrine, here, Jaldon.  My Tau are SIB, but I'm studying and doing my homework in preparation ... And I think your tactics are valid. :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Jaldon,

I definitely think you are on to something. One of the things we noticed in our "comeback" attacks (see Tau/UM BATREP), is that we worked to place an umbrella of ML coverage across the battlefield to support our shots.

We first keyed into it when we were figuring out how to take down the Thawk as it was zooming over the field and we noticed that we had accidentally created linear ML coverage across most of the battlefield. Once that light went on, we worked to make sure that it stayed in place and that really payed out in the later turns.

So, good application of theory and I think we discovered similar effects to yours, even though our OB had significant deviations from your own.

Really looking forward to the next report.

"Remember Taros? We do"

- 23rd Elysian Drop Regiment

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Jaldon @ 15 Oct. 2005 (00:58))
AP Disrupt weapons can be fired at Tanks, and their hits do cause a BM, and that is what broke the Tank Company

Quote From Rule Book
"Question: Can AP weapons target armoured vehicles just to get the blast marker for coming under fire? And the corollary, can AT weapons target infantry to get a blast marker?
Answer: Yes. Formations pick up a blast marker for coming under fire even if the weapons being used cannot harm the target."
End Rule Book Quote

Disrupt weapons only need to hit to cause a BM, so even if the infantry had been loaded the disrupt weapons could have fired, and placed BMs.

No. AP weapons can not score hits against AV targets. Therefore, they can not place BMs for merely hitting. The question you quoted merely means that AP/AT weapons can be used to shoot at a formation and place a BM for coming under fire, even if they can not score hits at all.

I can't provide an ironclad rules reference for this, but this is how it is  :alien: Chalk one up for a future FAQ.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Very cool Jaldon!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This battle report was a very interesting reading.

The map reveals that you seem to use a lot less cover areas than we do.

Army lists ar also quite different. Especially, the IG army is quite offensive for IG. A lot of mixed formations that are good candidates for disruptive shots (I usually face 1 mixed formation, which is the regimental HQ at best + Storm troopers in big games).

Your army would have been a little short on AT to my standards considering that like Tactica, I generally face a lot of all-Armoured formations. It is nevertheless very appriopriate to deal with your opponent's army.

Setup Notes: All of the Tau were deployed loaded in their Devilfish, while all the IG were deployed outside their Chimeras.

I would be interested that you explain us why you embarked your troops into the transports at deployment. This option always seemed quite dangerous to me and not worth the risk.

[At this point there isn?t a single Tau formation that isn?t within 15cm of a Tau formation capable of directing it in a Coordinated Fire Attack (CFA). Add to that there isn?t a single IG Company on the table that I can?t throw at least two formations at using a CFA. Last I have markerlights up and down the entire line so when I do make my move none of the guided missiles fired are going to be going in dumb. This is exactly what I mean when I say that the Tau need to use all of their firepower forward.]

That's the most interesting point: In fact, Tau perform somewhat like shooty marines: they need to support each other to win because of Markerlights and Coordinated fire.

As a side note I noticed two small errors about the Moray:
- the Moray's railcannon is slow firing and could not fire on turn two.
- when the Moray was about to be toasted, you should have rolled one time for each hit caused by the titan killer weapon (its obliteration make me think you rolled before rolling D3, like you would have for an eldar holofield)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No, and J.D. was told it was a 3,500 pt battle, and we didn't notice his error until after the battle was over. Bob should have checked the list like he was supposed to :down: Bob has promised to make sure the Eldar list is up to snuff.

However, as we all had already put all the work into the report none of us felt like delaying it, or re-doing it all over again. Also the point of the report was to show the Tau used as Jaldon felt they should be used, for us winner/loser was a secondary issue. We do agree the error is painful, but wanted to get it up on the boards anyways. Besides you just won me a free Chocolate Cake Doughnut because I bet Bob that either the first or second poster would catch this error  

I promise to check the Eldar list the day of the battlemyself to insure it is at or near 3,500 pts.

Thanks for the input guys, and now that I have won the Chocolate Cake Doughnut, sorry for the screw up  

Jaldon [/quote]
Yeah thought there was something I was missing in that Jaldon. ?:D

MMMMM chocolate cake doughnut Can i get some too? You can mail it! :D

I'm curious, can I ask why you guys choose the 3500 point lists? I've found the 3000 GT lists are the standard here in Oz(well where we play anyway).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote Baronpiero
I would be interested that you explain us why you embarked your troops into the transports at deployment. This option always seemed quite dangerous to me and not worth the risk.
End Quote

It depends on who/what I am facing, how much long range firepower they have to wield, and if I can get terrain between me and them. In this case about the only real firepower that could be directly thrown into my key formations was the arty, which I wasn't really too worried about pertaining to loaded/deployed. Also it makes your forces far more flexible in the first turn which for IG isn't often a big deal, but for the Tau it is. Yes it is dangerous and you must weigh the gains to the possible losses, however no guts no glory.

Quote Baronpiero
Your army would have been a little short on AT to my standards considering that like Tactica, I generally face a lot of all-Armoured formations. It is nevertheless very appriopriate to deal with your opponent's army.
End Quote

In the Box=Doesn't know who or what they will be facing. With few exceptions most players here do field pure armor formations, J.D. has had some success with his list and he likes it, different strokes for different folks, however I am with you guys on pure AV being better, then form Combined Arms knots out of formations.

Quote Baronpiero
The map reveals that you seem to use a lot less cover areas than we do.
End Quote

GT standard all the way as to terrain dimensions, and amount of terrain.

Quote Baronpiero
when the Moray was about to be toasted, you should have rolled one time for each hit caused by the titan killer weapon (its obliteration make me think you rolled before rolling D3, like you would have for an eldar holofield)
End Quote

I rolled 1,3,3. Though there is a faction of the group that believes it should be just the initial hit by the MWTK that the save is used against.

Quote Baronpiero
the Moray's railcannon is slow firing and could not fire on turn two.
End Quote

I thought you guys might find this following bit interesting as to how we can give complete answers, and how we make the reports so detailed.
In an effort to make batreps as complete as possible, while not slowing the game down too much in the process we, long ago, came up with a log book system for writing what happens in a turn. It isn't really that complex and is broken down like this for each line of the paper.

"Formation/Action Taken/Results of Action/Hits&Saves"

And four simple sketch maps drawn on graph paper where each square represents 5cmx5cm on the table, and each map represents a turn. To facilitate this mapping the gaming table itself has white thumbtacks marking each 15cm grid point.

Besides filling out the Log and putting things on the map, the judge also decides LOF, using the "Thrill Cam" (Really just a kids $1.00 periscope I bought at 'All A Dollar') and other issues, and his word is law, and is final for the battle.

So the log would look like this.

1st Warrior/ Adv 5/Mve as map, fire All Wep at 2nd Mech/ 12xS+6xH, 3xSvs

Translation
1st Fire Warrior Cadre performed an Advance action rolling a '5', it moved as shown on the map (No special note needed so none written). It Fired all of it's weapons at the 2nd Mech Company firing 12xShots, scoring 6xHits, and the enemy made 3xSaves (Again no special notes made, so none given)

For the AABS we use a small tape recorder, and then the judge uses it to write up the commentary used for the AABS in the batrep.

Using the Log, Skectch Maps, and the Judges AABS, I make the 'Puter Maps on Paintbrush, add prose to the battle commentary, and pretty much type up the AABS as it is written (The same goes for the two sides battle plans and introduction)

Now despite all this errors creep in to the prose, in the log the Moray did not fire it's Rail Cannon on turn one, only it's Guided Missile, which hit and destroyed a single Manticore.

Quote Asura
No. AP weapons can not score hits against AV targets. Therefore, they can not place BMs for merely hitting. The question you quoted merely means that AP/AT weapons can be used to shoot at a formation and place a BM for coming under fire, even if they can not score hits at all.
End Quote

In the battle this really didn't come into play as the Infantry was already deployed, however I agree this would make a very good FAQ to have, though I will respectfully disagree till it is answered. In any case considered it being carried out as you describe in our games till a ruling is made.

Quote Baronpiero
End Quote

The Battlesuit Cadres, backed up Hammerheads, the BS formations participated very little in this battle so they may have gotten lost in the rush of 'seeing' everything else, and the above combination is the AT/CFA grouping.

Quote Dobbsy
I'm curious, can I ask why you guys choose the 3500 point lists? I've found the 3000 GT lists are the standard here in Oz(well where we play anyway).
End Quote

2,700 to 3,000 is our usual standard for battles, however Bob wanted to play a 3,500 point battle Chaos vs Tau when I first got back from the Islands (He had a plan :/ ). Soon after I decided I wanted to do a series of three batreps to present the "Way of the Tau" and I put Bob in charge. He decided that I would have to use the Tau army I used against him in all three battles, since it is 3,500 the batreps are 3,500.

Quote Dobbsy
MMMMM chocolate cake doughnut Can i get some too? You can mail it!
End Quote

Mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine. Quote from seaguls in 'Finding Nemo' :D  The crumbs will arrive in a hermetically sealed envelope insudred by Lloyds, and carried by a supersonic pigeon.

Jaldon :p

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (baronpiero @ 15 Oct. 2005 (20:42))

I think you have to start embarked in transports, and thats how I've always played it:  Rulebook 6.1.6
Units being transported must start the game already loaded
into the transport vehicle that will bring them into play (ie,
an aircraft or unit with the planetfall ability).

Now I know it mentions aircraft/planetfall units specifically, but the phrase "already loaded into the transport vehicle" seemed to say that transported units "ride to work" and start the game loaded up.

Am I mistaken?