Login |  Register |  FAQ

Q's on Tau release?

Post subject: Q's on Tau release?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Given that Jimmy G has stepped down and there's no AC right now, will this have an effect on the release of the Official Army list? Is Jervis the one who will actually complete the list or is the AC the person now responsible?

Also, where are we officially at, specifically, in regards to changes in the list e.g GM5+ instead of 6+ i.e  (JG's "possible changes in V4.2" post under the sticky section)

Are the Tau community generally agreed on the changes? Will 4.2 be the official release? I have heard Tau are, if not next, close to being the next release for E:A

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:31 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Bear in mind that I have little idea of what is going on behind the scenes...

The AC is the person responsible for getting the list ready for 'final presentation to the Epic Rules Committee. After that, it is released. There will be a replacement as the Tau AC and this is currently being decided, but I would suspect that we will hear soon. I dont think that this will have much of an impact on the release of the list, but it will depend if the new AC is happy with the direction that the list has been taken in.

As a seperate issue, has anyone submitted their names to Jervis to volunteer for this position? I would do myself, but there are much better people qualified for this than me. However, if there were no other nominations then I would step up.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

CS,

I posed the question of who has volunteered a while back, but I received no 'name' responses.

I have opinions on where certain areas of the E:A Tau should go and areas that need tweaked to have truly enjoyable and balanced list. I also play three E:A armies - not just one. I also play the same armies in 40K - though I don't know if that's a good thing or bad. I don't know how much time is required for this kind of commitment and would hate to voluteer for something I cannot give the proper amount of time too.

I would also like to gain an appreciation for several aspects of the position, such as:
1) Tau development principles from Jervis' perspective
2) Tau development principles in lieu of new codex on the horizon
3) General army development principles for all races
4) General army submission/posting in vault process
5) Other duties / responsibilities, such as meetings, audits, reports, etc

Finally, there is the issue of support. I've read numerous posts regarding GW's lack of support for E:A in the future and several fears of E:A running out of steam to some degree. I love E:A. I would hope to see it thrive and grow. I cannot help but wonder if volunteering for a champion position would simply be good after bad. If list revisions aren't getting posted online and the future for Epic:A is already decided to be terminated, then I would like that knowledge prior to volunteering. Basically, I don't want to put a bunch of effort into something that's doomed from the start.

Then there's the issue of not actually knowing Jervis' address. I did email Andy at fantatic recently with some questions and comments along with a request that he forward it on to Jervis. Depending upon Jervis' response and possibly responses to this post as to whether I will seriously consider volunteering for the position.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tactica,

I can understand why you would think that being the Tau AC would be a waste of time and effort, but I believe that I can say with some certainty that when GW "officially" cancels it, E:A will survive just as Epic survived under the aegis of NetEpic. If there is enough support, which I believe there is, NetE:A will rise fromk the ashes of E:A. So, from that perspective, any energy expended now on E:A really won't have been wasted in the long run.

I'll be the first to admit that it's easy to feel pessimistic, but do we really need GW to maintain E:A? ???  Yes, it would be nice to have Jervis' official stamp of approval, but NetEpic has proven that there are enough talented minds here to continue the development of E:A.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dwarf Supreme,

Well met. I appreciate your very valid comments.

Thank you,

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just trying to keep your spirits up! :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:18 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Tactica: Thanks for your response. I feel that you would be more qualified to take on the role, but I would hate to see the Tau development list to halt due to a lack of head. I may simply email Jervis and explain my position on this.

I think that the amount of work which is required depends on how much you would want to put into it. If I did take up the mantle, I would need to revise considerably, which I am more than happy to do, but would require work on my part (work? I am calling it work now?). I would need to emerse myself in the role.

As for the continued development of the list... I would not worry about that too much. The Tau list will always be in demand, and even without the official stamp of approval, the fact that it is being developed by the community and the fact that we can buy the minis from FW means that the list will be used and will be well received by the community. Many of us here have been through many incarnations of Epic, and the rules and army lists and the game live on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

CS,

Thank you as well.

You and DS seem to have valid points, the game has historically and will continue to live on through the community worst case. It sounds as though my concerns are not really warranted. I know my local group absolutely loves epic, so no worries locally for sure. :)

I do have a day job and a family. I'm also a very dedicated gamer (I have been the latter longer than the former!) I've been married for 9.5 years. Example, my wife plans B-days/anniversaries around Saturday game day. Last year, my group missed 2 saturdays - out of the entire year. ;) My home (which isn't small) is 1/4 dedicated to gaming. My home is the auxilary gaming facility our group uses. We have a larger elaborate facility more centrally located and sponsored by a very well off individual.

I'm confident I can do the Tau list justice if I end up being the person for the job.

I would still like to understand the protocol for updates, revisions, and other responsibilities prior to offering what services I can bring to the table.

I'm also going to need Andy over at fanatic to actually forward my email on to Jervis on my behalf. No word yet as to whether he's done that but I'm sure he'll respond.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Utah, pick a Pacific Island the other half of the year.
The laurals of Epicomms

Jervis has clearly stated that there will never be an 'official' Squat list, and the closest thing possible is a Demiurg list, which he himself admits is very, very, unlikely.

Yet through the hard work of dedicated individuals, both here in my local group, in Epicomms, and the former Epic-A forum, the Squats are alive and well right here!

We all owe the creators of Epicomms a really big THANK YOU because as long as it remains alive we all know that Epic-A will survive with, or without, GW.

As for a new Tau AC, if nominated I will not run, and if elected I will not serve.  :oops: (I like the new smilies CS wish this one was around before I typed up the Tau vs IG batrep). But again I am not worried, as this fine group here will pick up the mantle and run with it, in the end probably producing something as good, or better, then what GW would put out.

IMHO GW is missing out on a possible cash cow in Epic-A by the meger support they give it, while throwing heavy support behind LotR whose sales are sketchy at best. In my local area this is proven true. There are two stores locally, in both 40K and WH sell really well but LotR is not played at all in the one, and played somewhat in the other.

Yet in both stores BFG, Blood Bowl, Warmaster, are popular, (with BFG topping the list), and when I planted the seed for Epic-A in both stores they couldn't keep the rule book on the shelf. Now with support almost being non-exsistant the former interested players are dropping out (Lost sales GW), and the dedicated ones are getting their minis on e-bay (More lost sales GW).

Call me really stupid if you want, but it would seem that LotR is a cash eater based on a three part movie series that the GW braintrust was hoping would turn into a cash cow.

When they first did it I said "good move" capitalizing on the movies popularity, BUT they should have known that popularity was going to quickly wain after the initial video sales went out.

Now that was some time ago and they are still trying to push this dead cow out there by craming it in White Dwarf once a month. Sorta makes me wonder just how many minis they got piled up in a some warehouse in England :o0  (Can you say 50% off sale on e-bay :p )

Well enough of my rant, a new Tau AC will get appointed, and whoever that is will have my full support, and I will help them in any way that I can.

Once again THANK YOU for Epicomms

Jaldon :wow:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:03 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Jaldon,

LOL - well stated. I think got it all...

1. Long live the squat!
2. LotR = dead cow, quite pushing it.
3. Wake up GW.
4. Epic:A rocks.
5. I like smiles.

:(8:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep !  We'll keep E:A alive here ... and again, Jaldon is correct on all points ! :;):

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok but who is actually going to take up the mantle? No one here seems keen.

What does it entail(other than quite a bit of work)? Do you need a maths degree to do it? Previous experience in game writing? Can a newbie do it?
Could it be conglomeration of ppl?

One thing for sure doesn't sound too promising if no one takes it up.

I'd be interested but I have no idea how to do it and I'm sure no one here would listen to me anyway :D (having no experience)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:51 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

OK, to try to spread a little calm here...

Viability of a Tau list - consider how the Tau stacks up against other forces in EA. They are a new force, people dont have huge stocks from previous editions, the minis are produced by FW and so, while expensive are almost beyond the 'cost cutting' of SG/GW and therefore likely to be around for a while. Compare this to something like the Chaos Marines, Tyranids or Necrons. The Tau have a brighter future at the current point.

Army Champion - I have emailed Jervis to tell him my position on the Tau Champion. The bottom line is that I would be interested in it, but would need support from the rest of the Epic Tau community. Any AC would draw heavily on the community and no matter who is AC the list is a community effort. This is the way that it should be and I am very happy with this.

No matter what happens to Epic officially, I love the game and the current version in particular. This web site and these boards will continue to exist as long as I can possibly keep them going (I need a son and heir to pass them on to!).

As for protocols for the list, I am not sure that there actually are any, any more. Another AC will be able to answer this best, but as far as I know the AC gathers the community around him, works away on developing the list, sends versions to Jervis every now and again and has a final version ready by some deadline. That is pretty much it, although I could be wrong about this. I dont think that you need a maths degree, or extensive experience of game design (I am sure that EVERYONE here has made their own rules at some point in the past).

GW have continually treated Epic in this way and that is just the way that it is. LotR does not interest me in the slightest, and whether I am in the minority or majority makes little difference to me.

Also, when I emailed Jervis, I did point him to this thread to see if that would help him to address your points. Someone will be the new Tau AC fairly soon, even if that is me!
:8:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

CS,

Thanks for the elaboration. That does help quite a bit actually.

I very much like the idea of continued community input. I think JG has done wonderful groundwork and make some real progress with the list. I think the community is largely part of the that success thus far. I absolutely despise the idea of 'behind closed doors' development and playtest. I don't think that kind of development gets the players involved and I feel it shuns positive critisisms and feedback. I feel much more can be learned from community input vs. closed circle input.

I also feel this list has a ways to go before finalized. Recent Tau development has been crippled on this list for awhile due to various outside influences that include, but aren't limited too, New Tau 40K models, Taros campaign book, new codex on the horizon, old champion external demands, lack of a contingency champion to fill in the gaps, old SG epic board disband, etc.

I think Epic:A community has some great ideas and playtesters to get the job done. I look forward to helping get this list completed - one way or another. Whoever champions this cause, I hope the focal point is on this board which I've become quite fond of.

I don't have Jervis' email, so unless Andy from fanatic forwards my interest to Jervis, or unless he reads this thread, I don't know that Jervis will know that I'm interested. So CS, you may be just the man for the job. If you are, you'll definitely have my support.  :cool:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'll just add my voice to the supporting chorus.  The open and visible development of the Tau list has really made some great ideas a reality.  I can't imagine the ML/GM and co-ordinated arms elements of the current Tau list coming from a closed process.

Orde

Tau Army List Archive