Crisis + S.Cmdr + H.Drones
Crisis + Cmdr + Drones
FW + DFx4 + Skyray + Broadside

Contingents
HH (Rgx3, ICx1) + Skyray + HH(IC x2)
HH (Rgx3, ICx1) + Skyray + HH(ICx2)
Broadside + Drones

2525 total

I basically have 475 points left over and I'm not sure what else to take. I'm torn between air power and more infantry or a mix of stuff.

My thoughts so far are:

a/ drop the extra 2xHH + 1xBroadside upgrades and take 2x Barracuda Sqdns and a Whiteshark sqdn(I'll just use Tigersharks)

b/Keep what I have and take a PF contingent + Stealth upgrade, a Hero class cruiser and a Swordfish upgrade

c/what I have plus 1x Barracuda Sqdn, a Hero Cruiser and a Drone Sqdn

I'm trying to stick with units that FW have actually released so far (other than a possible swordfish conversion)

Any thoughts on these choices?

Cheers!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Unsure what to take for 3000 pt
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok, I'll take a stab at it.

>>FW + DFx4 + Skyray + Broadside

I'm not sure why you would add a BS to this group. Yes it gives you a nasty gun, but everything else is mechanized, so the BS acts more like an anchor then a big stick you carry around with you.

I'd ditch the BS and think about a HH upgrade

HH (Rgx3, ICx1) + Skyray + HH(IC x2)
HH (Rgx3, ICx1) + Skyray + HH(ICx2)
Broadside + Drone

Personally, I wouldn't take the BS (not like I have a thing against them...well, I do, they're not mobile enough for me, but that's me), still other people make them work for them, so they aren't a bad choice.

As far as the rest of your points, I'm a big proponent of air power regardless of the game. I don't know if you need two Barracuda squadrons, but certainly one, and certainly the Whiteshark.

Other possibilities are Scorpionfish or Stingrays, though with the number of IC Hammerheads you are packing, I'm not sure you need the Stingrays.

So some general guidance there. A fair amount of your decision should be based on how you play or plan to play.

"Remember Taros? We do"

- 23rd Elysian Drop Regiment

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep ... use air power (CAS) to support your Tau on the ground.  Without Artillery (FA), the Tau must use CAS.  Which works fine for me as that "is the way the Tau go to War" ...  :;):

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Technically, there's nothing to stop you using the Lar'shi'vre (BFG Tau Protector cruiser) model to represent the Moray assault ship (I use the Il'por'ui - the FW Tau Emissary - to rep it in my games, but the bigger ship looks the part a bit more), two squadroned ion variant Morays are so useful at dishing out hurt against an enemy infantry or AV formation it's not even funny... for your opponent!

Gary

Gue'senshi: The 1st Kleistian Grenadiers

v7.3 pdf

Human armed forces for the greater good.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm a big fan of 150 vessel and 300 point moray at 3K.

You can pin-point with the vessel and tau have ALMOST NO reliable MW shots... the vessel is a must have in some cases. If the enemy brings no superheavies for you to target, no worries - you can still drop in a moray with 6 ion-phalanx shots for the uber suprise to something.

honda makes valid points.

I would further comment that your SC formation is very vulnerable. Its all LV which means the enemy will consentrate heavily on you. Your crisis have to get close - very close to be effective. You are going to be either hiding them, or moving wildly to get them to effectiveness range. Meanwhile, ap and at shots are going to be ripping the unit appart. You lose 4 drones and come under fire twice in the process and your 4 man supreme commander formation that remains will break. Same goes for your secondary commander formation. I'd think Mech FW (Honda, did I just say that? ) :)

Your list is short on quality long range AT potential. (a fault of the tau more than your construct) but you need to work to eliviate that with what we have to work with.

Furthermore, you have a low unit count in your formations. I'd work to resolve that as well.

Finally, the tricks... you are low on surprises and tricks. Vessel and moray dropping in should help to remedy that.

Just my observations.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So are crisis units pretty much useless? Would an extra crisis upgrade to the SC formation help any instead of two whole crisis units? Does anyone use crisis suits to advantage at all? What ways? I took them for the commanders mainly. It would be a great pity if i don't use them though, coz I really love the models and I've paid hard earned for them... :(

As to FWs how do they fare? I'm not keen on ethereals bcoz of the "broken when dead" rule. Are FW reliable? The $$ cost of a unit is a bit sucky too. You need to buy 2 packs for one unit... I guess I have to suck that up if I want this army though right?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep ... F/W is good to do business with, but the Tau are Expensive !  Suck it up ... like the rest of us ... :;):

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

FIRST CADRE
==========
8 FW w/4 DF
+ 2 Crisis upgrade
+ -- SC upgrade
+ 2 ion-head

SECOND CADRE
===========
8 FW w/4 DF
+ 2 Rail-HH
+ 1 Skyray
+ -- Swordfish Upgrade

Both of these formations are GM+ capable and AP capable. They are both AT light.

If you are playing the GM 5+ optional/experimental rules, the DF get a little better and the AT potential gets a little better.

If you are playing the crisis as infantry (the way it should have always been and should be changed back too!) then the SC is in a decent formation and relatively safe. If you are not, there are places he won't be able to go, but as the formation has both infantry and At targets, you'll have to be mindful to always move and deploy infantry so the SC and his buddy can't be picked off.

The optional / experimental / trail rules I've noted above make the formations slightly better, but either are better than stand alone crisis and drones.

The crisis just dont' work that well as stand alone units IMHO. You will be disappointed in the cost and effectiveness when trying to manouvre them in a city fight style board too as vehicles can't enter buildings. (LOL - vehicles...)

Sorry on the hard earned $$ outlay. Join the club. I'm looking at 13 units myself right next to me. Plus all their drones.... I also have another 8 stands of broadsides and their drones right next to them.

I'm in need of 6 more rail-heads, 3 more ion-heads, and 6 more DF. I need another unit of FWs too :( (already have 6 of each hh variant plus 3 SF conversions, 4 skyray and 4 hhs - plus rest of army...) We all know your pain with FW product... get it before it goes up in price is my motto. ;)

:alien: