Login |  Register |  FAQ

Whiteshark Results

Post subject: Whiteshark Results
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

JG,

Hey all,

Took some time finding the new boards. I was wondering what the results were of the whiteshark playtesting.

I seen that there was some feeling GM's in general should go go 45cm and tracers should be AT5+. Any other results thus far?

'wave'

Rob

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My initial thoughts were that it was less useful than the previous version with 3 AT3+.

Having played it in half a dozen games yet, I still think so. While 2 MW3+(TK) shots in a squadron looks really cool on paper, more often than not they are wasted because the most pressing targets (arty mostly) do not require TK shots.

The 45cm range reduction for GMs on aircraft was more of a general thing, to prevent possible abuses (mainly with Barracudas, not so much with the Bombers).

The extra AT5+ for the Interceptor missiles was added to both bombers because they proved rather undergunned for their cost - the Barracuda fighters were often doing a better job than both the sharks. This change has put them back in business somewhat, especially the Tigershark.

On the whole, with the above changes they seem quite okay ATM.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (JimmyGrill @ 11 2005 July,17:41)
The 45cm range reduction for GMs on aircraft was more of a general thing, to prevent possible abuses (mainly with Barracudas, not so much with the Bombers).

I've abused the bombers' long range missiles: land an Orca to pick someone up, shoot to 75 only to place a BM. Reducing the range to 45 cm is good.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (JimmyGrill @ 11 2005 July,17:41)
My initial thoughts were that it was less useful than the previous version with 3 AT3+.

Having played it in half a dozen games yet, I still think so. While 2 MW3+(TK) shots in a squadron looks really cool on paper, more often than not they are wasted because the most pressing targets (arty mostly) do not require TK shots.

The extra AT5+ for the Interceptor missiles was added to both bombers because they proved rather undergunned for their cost - the Barracuda fighters were often doing a better job than both the sharks. This change has put them back in business somewhat, especially the Tigershark.

On the whole, with the above changes they seem quite okay ATM.

I've not been able to get a tau game in lately as we are amidst a campaign and every game I play, I'm personally fielding IG. I've not encountered the tau lately so...

I'm trying to schedule a game this weekend for tau test.

OK, So what's the answer with the Whiteshark then JG?

It needs to be effective at its role even if less versatile IMHO. Is it not very effective at titan/we/tank hunting?

LMK

PS - I think the AT 5+ and GM 45 makes sense for several reasons.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In the recent game, I don't know if it was clear in the write up, but I played a formation of two of the new whitesharks.

I gota say, I really hated the new whitesharks by comparison to the way the old ones worked.

Sure, the new proposed got the macro-weapon titan killer attack, but it was a single attack per plane... blah... two of them just didn't do the trick. The old whiteshark could at least put out the at firepower, this one needs mroe at shots to be effective I think. As it stands, the tigershark may be fielded more often than the whiteshark. I hate to make a knee-jerk reaction, but the old whiteshark was formidable. The new one is too dumbed down for the price of two of them - it still doesn't hunt WE's much less titan's very well at all.  :(

I will give it another go, but in the Eldar game of all AT... I really expected two white sharks - designed by the tau to take on enemy titans and WEs - to really have an effect... blah... they didn't. One missed each turn. All other shots were either saved or missed. MW missles don't mean much with a 1 and 6 chance to hit.

I found the new design very lack luster compared to expectations or the way the 'current v4.1' is.

My vote is 'no change' if it's not going to get more attacks *AND* better GM's or the TK gets an uptick of (2) instead of (1).

Anyway, still coming off of the  :oo feeling from the tau v eldar beating, so take all coments in that light. Very depressing game result.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Tactica @ 25 2005 July,20:42)
The new one is too dumbed down for the price of two of them - it still doesn't hunt WE's much less titan's very well at all. ?:(

I don't know if the redesigned Whiteshark was intended to hunt Titans.  In fact, I believe that people specificially did not want the Whiteshark to be a Titan hunter, so in your next game try not to use them that way.  As for SHTs, the Whiteshark should be effective, especially if supported with marker-lit missiles from other units.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I advise a little more patience here.

My first 2-3 outings with the new Whiteshark also wasn't very convincing ('I want my railguns baaack!'), but it *does* have its uses.

Number crunching has shown that it does more hits against armoured targets, and is equal or better than the old version against anything with a 4+ save or better.

Now if I could stop rolling 1's to hit for my light railcannons, I'm certain those babies would earn their money back alright ?:cool:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Agreed, one game does not make or break a revision. As you said, just was dissappointed for the investment. I'll continue to give them a chance and play around with them.

Perhaps the GM 6+ upgrade to GM5+ and range reduction (hopefully sooner rather than later - ) will help.

:;):