Login |  Register |  FAQ

How are you designing your formations?

Post subject: How are you designing your formations?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

With the incredible flexibility of the Tau list, its very easy to toy around with formations and change them to fit specific roles.

What I am curious about, is how you guys have designed -your- formations and what role you use them on the battlefield.

Myself, I find myself gravitating towards these types.

Shas'la Cadre

I've never fielded them without Devilfishes, and I always choose the extra upgrade of Shas'la. I also tend to upgrade the formation with two IC Hammerheads and drones.

These formations form the main "grunt" power of my army, and I tend to use two of them. The IC Hammerheads have been included for AA, firepower and to give the formation the ability to soak hits without loosing mobility (Shas'las being stranded). The drones serve a similar purpose, I hate having my Fire Warriors walk to battle.

Hammerhead Contingents

I keep my hammerhead formations unupgraded, with Three Railguns and one Ion Cannon. This is because I've found their lack of armour (and limited formation size, even when upgraded) keeps them from being the "main grunts" of my army. Instead, they hide behind terrain to pop-up and deal with armour.

I know JimmyGrill uses larger Hammerhead formations, and I'm very curious as of how you design them, and what roles you give them!

Gue'vesa

These are my assault-troops, and I always give them the additional troop upgrade. They can soak up blast markers, and with the support of the Tau, they can clear out entrenched enemy.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I use minimal upgrades to keep the formation count high and to keep the max number of formations air-transportable. In a 3000 point battle, I have one big Crisis formation for the Supreme Commander and all other formations are as small as possible. 14 or 15 separate formations.

I don't use Devilfish for FWs. 8-strong FW formations are ferried around by Orcas.

The small formations are very vulnerable to fire, but the high activation count allows for some nasty maneuvers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, I'd love to say I've settled on the way I like to field units - but that's not true. I'm still getting the feel for how the ground based infantry should run under my playstyle.

Here's what I'm thinking about running this weekend vs. Eldar / Chaos / IG / or Orcs (not sure what I'm facing)

PRE-Ion Cannon revision that's being discussed, I really like my Hammerhead formations as noted below. I get a lot of milage out of this formation and enjoy the 6 tank diversity I get. (this may just stem from not wanting to let go of my IG Leman Russ Tank Co mentality though)

The battlesuit cadre seems like it should have the stealths in it, so I'm going to put them back in... I usually go with a crisis upgrade here though. I'm pretty convinced the stealths are over priced for what I get out of them. I put them in twice in this list to see if I really want them in or not. I typically leave them out :(

I like gun drones with the broadsides for the extra wounds.

I don't know if Tetras and piranhas running together make much sense... I use the piranhas for extra wounds for the tetras. :)

My FW Cadres I consider expendible, and am trying to figure out exactly how I like to field them.

========================
200 8 FW Cadre
100 4 Devilfish
75 3 Tetras
========================
200 8 FW Cadre
100 4 FW
125 2 crisis
========================
250 Battlesuite Cadre
75 Gun Drones
125 Stealths
100 Shas'o
========================
250 2 Ion, 1 Rail Hammerheads
25 1 Swordfish
75 1 Skyray
========================
250 2 Ion, 1 Rail Hammerheads
25 1 Swordfish
75 1 Skyray
========================
300 4 Broadsides
75 4 Gun Drones
========================
275 6 Stealth Battlesuits
========================
150 6 Tetra light skimmers
100 4 piranhas
========================
300 1 Mooray Assault Ship
++++++++++++++++++++++++
150 1 Tigershark Bombers (new revised)
++++++++++++++++++++++++
350 2 Whiteshark Bombers (new experimental)
++++++++++++++++++++++++
250 3 Barracuda Superiority Fighters
========================
        1050 - Air Caste Subtotal
(12 Activations)