Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Tau Vior'la v2.0

Post subject: Re: Tau Vior'la v2.0
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:38 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Warp Rider wrote:
Gunslinger, thanks for the thorough response AND the new revisions to sink our teeth into. I've had the chance to play a couple more games with the Vior'la since my last batrep (Kingzog and Prawns have been very generous with their time) and I'm quite pleased with how they've been playing.

For the Manta, thank you for clarifying that the heavies count against infantry slots not AVs that makes a lot more sense now. I've run the revised Manta as a staple in my list twice now and it's been great.

I was definitely harsh on the Y'Vahra, glad to see it getting some love with the MW. Kingzog and I talked it through ad nauseum and we agree that fundamentally it should be a striker not a terminator ;)

For the Stormsurges and Shas'O points, thanks for the explanation and context. I get the hesitation to put too much BP in an army that already melts small armies at range. I look forward to adding R'Varnas back into my roster of heavy suits as soon as I find good models for them!

Lastly to second folais- Kingzog, Prawns, and I will be running some more games this weekend. If there are any specific requests we'd be happy to accommodate.

Best- WR

Thanks for the support and feedback WR! It's always great to see people excited about a list.

I'd love to see some of the lists you're running with the Manta and some of the scores, even if there isn't a full batrep. It helps keep an idea of how the changes are performing.

As for specific testing, try and break the list, lol! I like to see what other people think is the optimal build; if there's too much similarity it can help identify over performing units. Let me know if your opponents are finding any formations or stat lines imbalanced.

Tau AC: viewforum.php?

Net EA Chair

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Here's the list I've more or less settled on. I plan on using a derivation of this for most games, switching out Riptides for R'Varnas depending on the enemy. I might also drop the manta for a 3rd heavy formation and a pathfinder group or drop one of the crisis suit formations for something else.

Vior'la Riptide Army / Manta, 3000 POINTS
Vior'la Tau Army List (Development V2.3)
==================================================

FIRE WARRIOR BREACHER CADRE [625]
10 Vior'la Fire Warriors, 1 Shas'O Supreme Commander, 3 XV88 Broadside Battlesuits, 1 Skyray Missile Defense Gunship

VIOR'LA XV8 CRISIS SUIT FORMATION [400]
8 Vior'la XV8 Crisis Suits, 1 Shas'el

VIOR'LA XV8 CRISIS SUIT FORMATION [400]
8 Vior'la XV8 Crisis Suits, 1 Shas'el

HEAVY BATTLESUIT FORMATION [350]
3 XV104 Riptide Battlesuits, 1 Shas'el

HEAVY BATTLESUIT FORMATION [350]
3 XV104 Riptide Battlesuits, 1 Shas'el

STEALTH GROUP [300]
3 XV15 Stealthsuits, 3 XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuits

MANTA DROPSHIP [575]

So far I've only played this list once, but it won a game against Salamanders through concession after killing most of them.

Best, WR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Warprider and I just had a game of steel legion vs viorla. Legion came out in a solid 2-0, it felt like viorla never had enough stuff to shoot at SL, I was wodnering what players are doing to deal with massed infantry and fire power with the viorla.

the list where

viorla:
-10 fire warriors, 3 broadsides, 1 skyray, Shas'O
-8 crisis suits
-6 broadsides
-4 heavy battlesuits
-4 heavy battlesuits
-Manta
-2 sunsharks

steel legion:
-Regimental HQ
Supreme Commander, 12 Infantry, 7 Chimera
Hydra
1 Sniper
-Infantry Company
Commander, 12 Infantry
Hydra
2 Ogryns
2 Snipers
-Tank Company
10 Leman Russ
Hydra
-Sentinel Squadron
4 Sentinels
-Sentinel Squadron
4 Sentinels
-Artillery Battery
3 Manticores
-Super-Heavy Tank Platoon
Baneblade
Shadowsword
Shadowsword
-1 Warhound Titan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:05 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

@kingzog

I've never had much success with such a low activation count list. Your opponent gets 3 more activations than you a turn, this will make you have to be very defensive as aggressive moves will likely leave you open to multiple activations of fire/assaults after you've run out of stuff to do. Losing/having broken activations with a list of only 7 will be extremely painful.

Shadowswords and artillery are extra painful for such a low activation WE heavy list.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Not reporting playtest experience with the list yet, but a few queries about issues I couldn't find a post on.

I'd love it if the Stormsurge 'burst cannons' was renamed to be 'Cluster Rocket System'. Seems mad that the secondary weapon isn't the massive missile bank but the optional burst cannon you can add under it. No need to change the stats, as the twin linked burst cannon or AFP or flamer is just part of the FF value being more of a sidearm. The Riptide is also technically mis-armed but the drones do have missile pods so that's fine (the '2 x twin missile pods' are really two optional smart missile systems, but epic stats include drones which have the more significant guns if not twin linked)

But whatever happened to the Supremacy suit arm weapons? In the earliest builds it had them (the FW thing is set up more a Warhound titan analogue - about the same point and size) but then they disappeared at some point.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:47 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Tastyfish wrote:
Not reporting playtest experience with the list yet, but a few queries about issues I couldn't find a post on.

I'd love it if the Stormsurge 'burst cannons' was renamed to be 'Cluster Rocket System'. Seems mad that the secondary weapon isn't the massive missile bank but the optional burst cannon you can add under it. No need to change the stats, as the twin linked burst cannon or AFP or flamer is just part of the FF value being more of a sidearm. The Riptide is also technically mis-armed but the drones do have missile pods so that's fine (the '2 x twin missile pods' are really two optional smart missile systems, but epic stats include drones which have the more significant guns if not twin linked)

But whatever happened to the Supremacy suit arm weapons? In the earliest builds it had them (the FW thing is set up more a Warhound titan analogue - about the same point and size) but then they disappeared at some point.

The list has been through the hands of a couple different ACs over several years. I don't know exactly what the reason was for the arms on either model, but I assume it was done to keep the cost of the model down since formations in the list can be on the heavy side.

Net EA Chair

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Some questions and thoughts. I haven't played NetEA for quite a while and my knowledge of the rules have always been cursory.
When a unit like the Manta and the Orca has Planetfall is that mandatory for them to planetfall via a spacecraft or can they be deployed normally in the deployment zone without having bought a spacecraft for the army?

I took notice that the Vior'la list only has a Protector and not a Custodian. And that it is a special kind, class II, that has half the transport capacity.

Regular Tau has a Custodian (transport capacity 18) or a Protector (transport capacity 6). Mantas count as 3 and Orcas count as 1.
The Vior'la list has the Protector class II which only has a transport capacity of 3. This means it can't carry both a manta and an orca. Nor can it carry two mantas etc.
In other words: Your planetfall ability is very limited..

Can I ask why this was decided? Is the Vior'la list supposed to be more stationary?

I also took note that the Tiger Shark AX-1-0 is not included (nor the Barracuda or the regular Tiger Shark). I know the idea of these lists is not to include everything. But the Tiger Shark AX-1-0 was created to counter Imperial Titans. For a list with heavy suits (that I think was supposed to be able to counter the big stuff) it would make sense to have the titan killer weapon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:47 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Draccan wrote:
Some questions and thoughts. I haven't played NetEA for quite a while and my knowledge of the rules have always been cursory.
When a unit like the Manta and the Orca has Planetfall is that mandatory for them to planetfall via a spacecraft or can they be deployed normally in the deployment zone without having bought a spacecraft for the army?

I took notice that the Vior'la list only has a Protector and not a Custodian. And that it is a special kind, class II, that has half the transport capacity.

Regular Tau has a Custodian (transport capacity 18) or a Protector (transport capacity 6). Mantas count as 3 and Orcas count as 1.
The Vior'la list has the Protector class II which only has a transport capacity of 3. This means it can't carry both a manta and an orca. Nor can it carry two mantas etc.
In other words: Your planetfall ability is very limited..

Can I ask why this was decided? Is the Vior'la list supposed to be more stationary?

I also took note that the Tiger Shark AX-1-0 is not included (nor the Barracuda or the regular Tiger Shark). I know the idea of these lists is not to include everything. But the Tiger Shark AX-1-0 was created to counter Imperial Titans. For a list with heavy suits (that I think was supposed to be able to counter the big stuff) it would make sense to have the titan killer weapon.

Hi Draccan!

For the Protector II, yes the changes were intentional. The PII has its own benefits, mainly the flexibility to choose which weapon you want to use. Part of the trade off is the limit on space. With the army having stronger FF capabilities that the 3rd Sphere Tau, the goal wasn't for them to enter alpha strike army territory.

As for the AX-1-0, that was swapped out to introduce TK on different units. The Vior'la have liminted TK available via the Y'vahra heavy suits and the equivalent of a Shadowsword's volcano cannon as an option on the Supremacy Suit. There's also plenty of MW, which not as strong as TK still helps limit the saves, via the Riptides, Supremacy, and Ghostkeels. Adding additional TK would overbalance the list's ability to handle war engines.

The Barracuda and Tigershark bomber were removed to allow the introduction of the Razorshark and Sunshark.

Net EA Chair

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Do you know the answer to this:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Planetfall is not mandatory.

So, specific to the tau: the manta may start in the deployment zone as any other WE formation and the Orca activates as a aircraft/bomber (actually I've seen both used in these ways much more than with planetfall).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thank you for the replies!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I finally got a game in. The big suits got dusted off.
Sorry they are still way too tough at 3-3-6 and 4-4-6. Kal couldn't do anything. Even with all the meltas and lances with Lyanden. And my extra piss poor dice. He scratch a DC off of two suits (in different detachments). He dumped four activations into only breaking the Y'Vara detachment. He lost 5-0.

Maybe match the saves to that of the imperial knights.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:18 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

3,3,6 is to much for war engines and not even costed appropriately. I would do 4,4,6 as that would put them in range of knights.
Its just too over the top for DC2 war engines that jump and move fast.

thanks
kal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Could you help clarify something for me? What does 3,3,6 refer to?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:03 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

3,3,6 means 3 + armour save, 3 + reinforced save and then 6+ invulnerable save. All for a war engine that jumps, has a DC2 plus cost the same as 3 Imperial knights.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next