Login |  Register |  FAQ

Global Tau NDC proposed changes

Post subject: Re: Global Tau NDC proposed changes
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:59 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

There are no proposals for the Tau to diverge from the NetEA list to a specific EUK list. So to get a Manta stat line that we all agree on would be brilliant.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think a lot could be accomplished by addressing some shortcomings of the core list.

The variant lists appear to have something of an identity crisis now, viorla originally being borne of the "firewarriors should be good in FF" idea and now it is the mecha list plus addressing the limitations of crisis and pathfinders in 3rd phase, but not much being removed.

Some of the changes like allowing pathfinders to drop the transports and allowing crisis in firewarriors plus a few of the suits could be added in 3rd phase, could they not? At the time the 3rd phase was basically everything the race had, now we need to consider where the theme boundaries ought the be drawn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The current Tau list is tough. I would not go missing with it too much. practice practice practice. You can't grab the latest and greatest from the net.

The Manta is misdirection at its best. Toss it out and see what bits. Let them waste their energy. Or they pretend it is not there and it becomes an area denial.

I took a Manta and won AdeptiCon. You lower the cost and something else just gets harder to kill.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I personally don't have an issue with the power of the Tau list per se, though certainly would not describe it as top tier. And this alone makes me concerned about the variants, since they are Tau++.

However more options doesn't necessarily equate to more powerful unless they add things that synergise in ways that fill holes in the list that ought not to be filled (like giving fire warriors 4+ FF and a free shield on the orca). I just think a few minor tweaks to the existing options (e.g. fixing crisis, more options for pathfinders) would add a bit more to an army that has quite a low unit count, and provide a bit clearer distinction between the lists; as it stands there's a combination of "fixes 3rd phase" and "big suits". There doesn't seem to be any particular reason why some of those things are relevant for vior'la.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Borka wrote:
The AT6+ plasma rifle and the lowered price for the crisis upgrade is something that I plan to present to the high lords without further testing.

I sent a pm to the netERC with the above suggestion today. So now I'm just waiting on their ruling.

After testing the Manta for a while now I believe the de-twinlinking makes it a lot better. It also changes it role a bit. it can now easily hang back to secure an area and kill or cripple most warengines, even the size of reavers, that go after the manta (Ion phalanx/missiles takes the shields out and the Railcannons do their thing). I think it needs more testing. I therefore din't propose it now.
I actually have come to believe it's to much in conjuction with lowering the price to 600. I think it should stay at 650 pts with de-twin-linking or at least 625.

I would actually prefer for us to playtest it with "1x Twin Heavy Railcannons ....... TK(D3+1)". It increases the avarage damage by 50% instead of like 90-100% like the current proposal of de-twinlinking does (because with ML you're usually hitting on 2+ anyways). It also gives a maximum damage of 4 DC instead of 6.
It would be a smaller boost yes, but we could keep the price down at 600 or perhaps even 575. But maybe this would be seen as a step backwards. I will think a bit on this and maybe present a poll.