Login |  Register |  FAQ

Questions for Tau players

Post subject: Questions for Tau players
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Questions for Tau players

I know how Tau is played locally, but with a new list in the works I'd really like to get some feedback, opinions and views from the larger Tau-playing community.

These are all just to gain information, so there is no judgement attached (ie if you struggle to get a lot of crossfires set up, just say so).

1) Do you ever take an Ethereal?
If not, would you at a lower point cost?
What if the Ethereal could be a passenger in a vehicle (similar to a Commissar, for example)

2) Markerlights
If you had to estimate, what percentage of your shooting over the course of a game is done at targets that are successfully markerlit?

3) Bad Matchups
Are there particular types of opponents that you struggle with above all others (for example, all-mechanised minervans, terminators, ork bikers, the titan legion etc)

4) Good Matchups
Are there particular types of opponents that you breeze to an easy win against (for example, all-infantry Tyrannids, all-mechanised minervans, terminators, the titan legion etc)

5) Crossfire
If you had to estimate, do you manage to get Cross-fire bonuses at least three times per game?

6) Activations
Roughly how many activations do you have in your average Tau 3000pt army?

7) Ease of play
And finally, do you find winning with Tau as easy, easier or harder than with other armies you play?

Participation is appreciated, thanks! :)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Questions for Tau players
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:50 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

1 Ethereal - never take it - cost, auto break + play style don't fit with it

2 Markerlights - 95% the list I've found works best has only 1 ground formation without ML

3 Bad matchups =1 teleport is fine, multiple teleports are a struggle as it negates the tau speed. Nothing else sprigs to mind as a bad matchup. I've played vs Black Legion, EC, SM, BA, Biel tan, Iyanden, Steel Legion, Ulani, EUK nids, AMTL, latd + necrons

4 Good matchups - done well against Eldar as ML shooting carves up small AV formations

5 At least 3 Yes

6 12

7 About even with other lists, tourney win % of about 60% (thats not incl VPs results) comparable with results with Codex SM, BL, Eldar,

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

1) I have never taken him, mainly because of the cost. I have considered a foot FW unit with one but have not tried it yet.

2) Probably about 70 - 80%. I would like it to be more but my oponants hunt my ML units down quickly

3) Lots of Reinforced Armour is tough. I usually rely on breaking them with BMs rather than killing them.

4) Eldar as the units are easy to break and it is hard to hide from seeker missiles.

5) At least 3, usually more. I rely on it to get through heavy armour.

6) 10-12

7) Harder to win with as I usually play Chaos Marines, I find Tau a completely different play style and so hard to get used to.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

1) Used to take one in a large air drop formation. Now I consider it a waste of points. Fearless is not all that useful in Tau armies and the autobreak rule can be killer. Especially when someone (Ben) takes great pleasure in trying to snipe him in every game (Ben).

2) Easily 95%. I rarely if ever have to shoot at un-markerlit targets. My normal list is an 11 activation Manta list and 8 of the formations have ML's.

3) Only really Orks. It may be that I haven't worked out how to beat them yet. But the normal Tau tricks I use don't work against orks.

4) Most Chaos lists, Eldar, Nids, Marines. Eldar struggle against a list that has very long range AT (some of which does not require LOF). Most Chaos lists I have come across can;t deal with the speed of the average Tau list. Nids can't deal very easily with the number of skimmers and scouts an average Tau list and Bio titans don't last long against Tau. If a canny Tau player forces the Nids to play corner deployment and places his objectives well it is very difficult for a Nid player to beat them. Marines hate pathfinders and can't kill the Manta.

5) Never. Cross fire is not all that important to winning with Tau. It's nice but not essential. I think people get too caught up in killing with Tau. Tau in my experience win through speed, planning and maneuvering.

6) Never less than 10. Normally 11 if I take a Manta. Occasionally 14 or 15 (tetra's and piranha's are still awesome).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

1. I don't use him. In the 6.5 list at 50pts I might consider him, but spare points for upgrades are at a real premium in a Tau list and he doesn't really suit the lists I use.

2. Probably about 70%.

3. Lots of reinforced armour can be a tough matchup.

4. Eldar are a good match up.

5. Yes, I think about three times would be an average in games I play.

6. 12

7. I have a slightly higher win ratio with Eldar and Marines, slightly lower with Orks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

1. I have used it in a large BTS Mech FW formation. Almost (random barrages and snipers aside) never breaks and denies BTS often - just too many units.
2. roughly 75%
3.Anything with lots of DC and RA units and a good assault capability. Orks.
4. Ground based Marines have generally been an even match up.
5. Mainly twice a game if I'm lucky.
6. around 10 most times.
7. Depends entirely upon what armies I get to face.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If not, would you at a lower point cost?
What if the Ethereal could be a passenger in a vehicle (similar to a Commissar, for example)

I haven't so far. A lower price would make me consider them more

2) Markerlights
If you had to estimate, what percentage of your shooting over the course of a game is done at targets that are successfully markerlit?

about 70%

3) Bad Matchups
Are there particular types of opponents that you struggle with above all others (for example, all-mechanised minervans, terminators, ork bikers, the titan legion etc)

Big WE and RA stuff is what I have had problems with.

4) Good Matchups
Are there particular types of opponents that you breeze to an easy win against (for example, all-infantry Tyrannids, all-mechanised minervans, terminators, the titan legion etc)

Not that I've seen as of yet, but have only played abut 8 or 9 Tau games.

5) Crossfire
If you had to estimate, do you manage to get Cross-fire bonuses at least three times per game?

No. 0 - 1 per game has been my experience. I'm really bad at getting the bonus.

6) Activations

7) Ease of play
And finally, do you find winning with Tau as easy, easier or harder than with other armies you play?

I play orks and necrons other then Tau and I find both races to be easier then tau..

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes but it's situational. I play against Eldar and having fearless helps when Avengers pop out of the Webway

2) Markerlights
I usualy have 12 activations and try to keep 4-6 Markerlights

3) Bad Matchups
Eldar always give me trouble. Tau are fast but still not as fast as those guys.

4) Good Matchups
IG seems to have a hard time against my lists. I play a very aggressive Tau list that pushes hard to the other table edge. I also tend to have 2 or 3 more activations which usually doesn't work out well for the IG player

5) Crossfire
Once again it's situational. If I play Eldar no. If I play a slower army usually yes. If its IG it's kind of hard to get cross fire when I don't let them get off the table edge.

6) Activations
11 - 12

7) Ease of play
It took a little time to get used to. I play IG, Orks, and Marines. They have a different mentality then any of those. Finding a balanced list and making max use of markerlights to a game or two to get used to.