Login |  Register |  FAQ

State of the Union

Post subject: State of the Union
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

First off, I've been hit or miss due to Real Life ™ and my home PC is on the blink and is getting upgraded. So I haven't had as much time to delve into the list as I would like.

So my PC/RL situation will likely continue for another week or so, probably 10 days at the most.

In the mean time, testing should continue on BOTH lists. Why? One is very new and the other is in need of refinement. I would like to see a testing of the Tigershark MB in the absence of a Scorpionfish and Stingray. I want to see what that means in a game.

I will look at both solutions to provide components of "a" list. Whether parts of 5.x get blended into E&C's proposal or vice versa depends on the testing results. Because this will most likely be a larger change, a pre-freeze version of the list will be produced that will be open to scrutiny to all (so not a peer review exercise) and discussion...and that will be a civil discussion. I will use railcannons on any flames, slams, or worse.

I know that exercise will generate a lot of energy from those who are committed to the cause, but this will be civil. You'll get one warning and you don't want to find out what happens after that.

I know I am coming down with a heavy hand, but I am determined to move past what has been holding us back and not get caught up in the past.

Playtesting still rules. Right now, I am in study mode of the two proposals and yes, I will be gaming as well, this won't just be an academic exercise on my part. Three of our gaming group will be assisting (they are Epic players) so that I get multiple perspectives.

This means that we will be in test mode for another three weeks or so, before the pre-release.

Duty calls, so I have to stop here, but I will be checking in as time allows and I can share more of my thinking.

"Remember Taros? We do"

- 23rd Elysian Drop Regiment

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for giving us a roadmap Honda.

I will see about incorporating the Tigershark variant you ask for into my proposal, most likely based on the stats BlackLegion proposed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:54 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I'd also like to see the Armoured Tau list tested as it is VERY MUCH a core part of E&C's proposal and without it there isn't an E&C proposal.

E&C has said as much himself.

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE
Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Honda has asked for us to concentrate on the 'generic' list for the moment.

If my proposal is chosen to move forwards with, then I would expect an Armoured List to be moved on very soon afterwards, but I agree with Honda it is not nessesary to immediately begin testing of my speculative template (though you can feel free to try it out I guess!).

If my 'generic' template is adopted however, then I believe it then does become nessesary to set up an ERC-sponsored Armoured list, with a suitably picked sub-Champion to steward the list (I think Onxy would do a pretty good job in that role actually).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the update Honda, hope your PC gets better soon :)

In the mean time, testing should continue on BOTH lists. Why? One is very new and the other is in need of refinement. I would like to see a testing of the Tigershark MB in the absence of a Scorpionfish and Stingray. I want to see what that means in a game.

Few questions on the above.

Are you looking to test the 5.1 list with removed stingrays/scorpionfish and added Tigershark MB?
If you are looking for further testing of 5.1 without changes are there any specific areas that haven't been particularly covered so far?
When testing E&C's list should the new Tigershark be used?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Shall I stick up a draft of what I think the 5.1 could change to as an alternative to the more sweeping Markerlight change? (So current list + FW change + other changes flowing from that + removal of APGM).

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (The_Real_Chris @ 12 Aug. 2009, 17:45 )

Shall I stick up a draft of what I think the 5.1 could change to as an alternative to the more sweeping Markerlight change? (So current list + FW change + other changes flowing from that + removal of APGM).

Yes please Chris.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Been away from the discussion for a bit .  I am curious to see the recent activity on the existing lists.

What if any are the current proposed tweaks to the 5.1 list?  I like (or at least find interesting) E&Cs list.  Are other lists beig looked at as well?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I believe the only other proposal posted at this point is Hena's.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

2The_Real_Chris

I personally want to see it ASAP.) Go on, Chris!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Are you looking to test the 5.1 list with removed stingrays/scorpionfish and added Tigershark MB?

This please.

"Remember Taros? We do"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (dptdexys @ 12 Aug. 2009, 17:49 )

Quote: (The_Real_Chris @ 12 Aug. 2009, 17:45 )

Yes please Chris.

Sorry, entirely forgot about this, will do if I get a chance in between packing for the job in Nepal.

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok, in spite of a lot of Real Life ™ stuff, I think I am back. I appreciate everyone's patience and those that have continued to show initiative and play are greatly appreciated. Not all the storms have abated, but I appear to be in the eye of the hurricane for the moment.

So where are we?

I've been observing what has been posted, noted that there has been some testing of E&C's proposal, a dearth of testing the v5x set and a lot of discussion, followed by E&C's multitude of threads, changes, and then more discussion.

Note: This is what got the original list in such a twist. Now I know that some of that has been because CS and I have been quiet of late, plus we had our outage, so I'm not too concerned, but do realize that from a proof of concept perspective, not a whole lot has been determined.

Moving forward:

1. In the next 10 days or so, I will be evaluating the latest E&C version (1.09?) with the intention of blending in key elements of v5x, using the "framework" that I established several weeks ago, into a single list. That probably isn't going to make some people happy. I am still a firm believer that an AC creates one list that provides the foundation upon which other "variant" lists are produced. That perspective probably disappoints a few.

However, the foundation will be E&C's work.

2. Once the new list has been created, it will be posted for an evaluation period of 30 days. That period will be used for testing, correcting edits, etc. Everyone will have the same access to the list and there will not be a peer review. I will then post the final version one more time for a looksee, probably for a one week review of editing errors. Then the list will be frozen for an extended testing period.

3. The testing period will be for six months. We'll keep a tally thread of noted issues, but we won't just sit and pick at the list. Again, to quote Moscovian, "Testing rules, opinions drool".

Also of significance, is that we will be making decisions based on the feedback of those who are present during the testing. If there's someone you want to provide feedback, then it is your responsibility to notify them that this exercise is taking place and get them involved.

The "I wasn't around when you did this, therefore I think..." isn't going to fly as a reason to change or complain. I believe in rewarding those that are present and participating.

E&C: If you have some outstanding changes that you need to get moved in to your proposal, I would appreciate it if you make sure that they are in by Noon, Wednesday (9/23) CST, as I will be grabbing the latest version I can find.

Good to be back.

Cheers,

"Remember Taros? We do"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:46 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

This is probably of limited use and I was neither witness nor party to any of the games, but one of the guys I play with told me that after a series of 7K games vs IG, AMTL and Knights, that he thought the Tau list was working.

Take that for what it's worth.