Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Should the Tau list need to be broken up?
The Tau should be broken into Variant lists (See below) 100%  100%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 5

Should the Tau list need to be broken up?

Post subject: Should the Tau list need to be broken up?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

PLEASE VOTE ONLY if you actually own Tau models / proxies and play with them, or have played with them in the past.  The last option above is included for those who just can't help but vote on everything. :p

Please direct your posts/discussion to this thread.

If you are not sure what I am getting at, please post at the discussion thread and I'll try to explain myself.

Regarding the selections above:
Variant Lists
This option is not necessarily anything set in stone.  It may mean just two or three lists, or five or six!  My original thinking should be
 1. A core list that focused on Fire Warriors and basic unit types.  This would be generic Tau and needs little explanation.
 2. The Armored Auxilia would include less infantry and more tank selections, support craft, etc.  This would be like fielding an armored division, but Tau style.
 3. The Drone Auxilia doesn't mean there are no drones in the other lists- just that this list tends to have all the fun drone things that people like... Sniper Drones, Heavy Drones, Drone Gunships, etc., and would allow some of the newer Forgeworld models to be used.  You could see this being a colony-type force, or a force where the Tau are especially worried about high casualty numbers.
 4. Alien Auxilia.  Kroots, Humans, Vespids, and all their baggage could be included on this.
Each one would be thematic.  Humans could end up fielding Chimeras, Hydras, or other Imperial equipment.  Gnarlocs and other modeling achievements such as Vespid models would perfect in here.

Sub-Lists
Cybershadow had indicated he is not terribly keen on limiting the original list because the Tau should be able to field all of their assets, not to mention there are players who have their favorite models they like to play.  I came up with a Tau list where there is a core list, then each auxilia (as seen above, but trimmer) could be added to that core list.  This could be done as either an exclusive choice (pick only one) or have the Tau player incur some sort of penalty (like a minus to Strategy Rating).  Once again, these choices aren't set in stone.  If you want sub-lists in general, vote for one of those.

One list, less options
This is what Cybershadow and Dobbsy are trying to do now.  I don't think it is an impossible solution but I think it will be an uphill battle and in the end a lot of people will dislike the list and play the Forgeworld list.

One list, all inclusive
You may think what we had in version 4.4.2 was fine, or needed MORE options, or just needed tweaks.  If you did, this vote is for you.

I'm not sure
A totally valid answer.  If you are a Tau player and you just don't think you can make up your mind, then vote here and participate in the lively discussion anyway.

Other
Only vote this way if you truly have a radically different idea.  If your idea SOMEWHAT matches one of the other choices, please pick that one instead of Other.

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I suspect this may go the same as every other vote and discussion. A bunch follow the EA design concept of sublists, a bunch follow the previous editions concept of universal lists. Numbers vary depending on who's around to vote and how few up they are with playtesting and debate :)

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I don't think we've had an actual poll that mandates actually OWNING a Tau army though.  Face it, there are a lot of people who vote or chime in for the sake of being heard.  While their opinions are valuable, they are simply not as valuable as a person who has played the list and can speak from experience.

Another benefit is we get to see how many people actually have Tau armies. :yes:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What bias are you referring to?  An affinity for puppies?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would like to have a list with all models that FW makes!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Hena @ 18 Sep. 2008, 05:57 )

"All inclusive Tau list" -> "Current Tau list"

Besides polls are very bad way to go forwards as they require no reasoning merely clicking.

Jiminy Cricket, Hena! :evil:   Can you be positive -or at the very least non-ridiculing- about anything other than your own opinions?  I am feeling Dobbsy's frustration.

I don't understand the aversion to a poll of Tau army owners on what kind of change (if any) in the list they would like to see.  After all, we are the ones with a vested interest in them.  It also separates out the people who are shooting from the hip with no experience to back up their assertions.  Given how people are treating this though maybe I should have asked for photographic evidence of their models... At this point I wonder if the numbers would jive?

The poll is point and click, but I asked for discussion as well.  A poll allows people to get a snapshot of what the sentiments are...  I for one don't want to keep on bringing up the variant lists if the vast majority of people don't like the idea, but I do want to press it if they do.  What harm can come of this?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

And I'm sorry I flipped out there (I need breakfast).   :vo

But I insist there is nothing biased in those poll choices.  I never said the current list was all inclusive. It is simply a choice - some people may want every Tau unit ever dreamt of on the Tau list.  It is a choice.  Same thing with the current list option - this was Cybershadow's attempt to trim the fat from the 4.4.2 list and if people like that then they should choose it.

I do have reasons to believe that there are at least two people, unfortunately, who voted improperly(who don't have a Tau army) just to 'advance' their position.  So the poll will lose some of its value.  :glare: I might as well shut it down.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:46 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I've voted for CS & Dobbsy to carry on with their pruning. I do have a Tau army and have play-tested with it, but that was a long time ago now  :sigh:

A year or so ago there was a movement for the Tau list to be played at Open War in the UK, as Nids had previously, however this did not occur as there was still a lot of calls for changes to the list. There are models out there and we really should have something that can be used helping us to raise Epic's profile even further.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I clicked on the "view results," which shouldn't mess up the poll, since I've been forced to stop any/all playtesting (and I was using proxies anyway).

Besides that, I don't have an opinion on the matter.  All I wanted to do was see what everyone else thought.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

LitS, it isn't you.  I just got an email that annoyed me - about people who thought my requirement to have actually played the Tau was 'stupid'.  :glare:

A null vote (or picking puppies) will not mess up the poll.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Moscovian @ 18 Sep. 2008, 12:33 )

I just got an email that annoyed me - about people who thought my requirement to have actually played the Tau was 'stupid'.  :glare:

Really? That seems like a very sensible requirement to me. I almost never make comments about a list with which I have no experience.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next