Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

London Experimental Day - Tau games

Post subject: London Experimental Day - Tau games
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If the Tau lists were to be split in seperate ones. Maybe you could use the different tactical styles for the Tau as inspiration?

Mont'Ka - Killing Blow
"It is the art of identifying a target of opportunity and attacking it swiftly with a Hunter Cadre, often deployed from a Manta Missile Destroyer"

Kauyon - Patient Hunter
"Essentially the technique relies on the interaction of the hunter and the lure"

Other possibilities might be:

Farsight Enclave / Renegade
An experimental list ( maybe on a mainly Earth Caste planet? ) which might use lots of drones etc?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:06 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

LOL Chris - I don't know why you bother to actually play a game...  :tongue:

Surely you've already calculated the possible outcomes before you turn up and decide whether you won or lost and save yourself a lot of time (and also cheat yourself out of some fun).
And yes, I know this is a playtesting forum and you have to know the percentages... etc, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.

EVERY single time overwatch Vultures (and non Overwatch ones) have fired on Morays here they have killed them. Just the threat of them means that the Tau have to deploy Markerlight Turrets and hope to win strategy to use a Hero and hopefully break them first. I haven't used a Manta anywhere near as much as I need to so I won't comment on that further.

A note for your version of the Tiger Shark - Presently you can only buy Drones/Heavy Drones in groups of 4 (so should be able to carry four in the notes).

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE
Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Onyx @ 12 Jul. 2008, 15:06 )

Surely you've already calculated the possible outcomes before you turn up and decide whether you won or lost and save yourself a lot of time (and also cheat yourself out of some fun).

EVERY single time overwatch Vultures (and non Overwatch ones) have fired on Morays here they have killed them. Just the threat of them means that the Tau have to deploy Markerlight Turrets and hope to win strategy to use a Hero and hopefully break them first. I haven't used a Manta anywhere near as much as I need to so I won't comment on that further.

Sadly my maths isn't that good. However I do know what has the most chance of blowing something up. And yes its a probability. For two years every time I playtested the AMTL the Warlord would critical and blow up. However not paying attention to what on average would happen leads to genius statments like the one on the Tigershark a while ago where one chap said since he never passed a saving throw with a tigershark it doesn't matter if they are save 5 or 6.

There are alternatives to using a Hero. But the Tau aren't alone in being threatened by Vultures or similar weapons. Eldar super heavies aren't impressed either. But look at it the other way - you can hit his deployment zone with your all skimmer army with few problems. Morays can move and do it, along with Tanks, sundry skimmers and aircraft, not to mention the Manta planetfalling into some nice quiet corner of the board to roll up a flank. Its possible witht he Tau to build an army that's alright where everything can hit the enemy deployment zone.

A note for your version of the Tiger Shark - Presently you can only buy Drones/Heavy Drones in groups of 4 (so should be able to carry four in the notes).

Also for those TS stats I have them in squadrons of two (to match the sales). Since the 40k model can carry 14 drones total 4 seems a bit much but it does allow 6 between two and means you can have a squadron and an upgrade carried.

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (DaCone2 @ 12 Jul. 2008, 13:47 )

If the Tau lists were to be split in seperate ones. Maybe you could use the different tactical styles for the Tau as inspiration?

Mont'Ka - Killing Blow
"It is the art of identifying a target of opportunity and attacking it swiftly with a Hunter Cadre, often deployed from a Manta Missile Destroyer"

Kauyon - Patient Hunter
"Essentially the technique relies on the interaction of the hunter and the lure"

Other possibilities might be:

Farsight Enclave / Renegade
An experimental list ( maybe on a mainly Earth Caste planet? ) which might use lots of drones etc?

Which ones would the following be? Based around armour or infantry or air?

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There is too much focus on Vultures in this discussion. IG has all the toys to deal long-range death, something which many armies lack, think SM or Orks from the LRB alone.

Against armies which can´t effectively shoot back, Support Craft are plain murder.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:36 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Which ones would the following be? Based around armour or infantry or air?

Either can be. It's just a tactical philosophy not actually based around particular units. You can play Tau mont'ka with the exact same list as Kauyon; just you would focus more on hitting with overwhelming force in a particular section or unit while Kauyon will just try to set up traps and ambushes to lure enemy units.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Irondeath @ 12 Jul. 2008, 18:07 )

There is too much focus on Vultures in this discussion. IG has all the toys to deal long-range death, something which many armies lack, think SM or Orks from the LRB alone.

Against armies which can´t effectively shoot back, Support Craft are plain murder.

But I thought the idea was for the Tau to have all manner of long range fire :)

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would strongly suggest not to split up the army list.....we have troubles already testing 1 list...(tyranids are best example to this)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

we have troubles already testing 1 list

We are having troubles because this list has too many styles available, many of them largely unrepresentative of the Tau as presented in the Warhammer 40,000 background.

- Tank army
- Infantry Horde
- War Engine list
- Air Assault/Airborne Cavalry
- Farsight style army
- Guided Missile army

The SG Tau list can do damn near everything ; There's no point someone saying 'in the future we could do a tank-based Tau army with a bunch of made up new tank types', because they're already in the list, along with extra War Engines, extra troop choices (Aux), more aircraft than any other army, etc...

...Split the list.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Tiny-Tim @ 01 Jul. 2008, 11:58 )

Markerlight Sentries – These should not be allowed to set up in the opposing half. I was playing with an army of 9 activations. I had to use 3 of them to clear the sentries before I could move on. (If I hadn’t of done this half of my army would have spent a turn lit up waiting to be shot.) I also don’t like the fact that they can not take Blast Markers. They should be suppressible and be able to be destroyed that way.

The markerlight sentries deploying in opponents table half may not be as big a problem as first thought.

As I see it they could be taken out with one activation.

Seeing as the turrets have no zone of control the tau opponent could garrison troops in base to base contact.

Then assault with a sepreate formation dragging in the attackers formation/formations that are already in base to base contact with the target turret.

This would also lead to all the turrets that are in base to base contact with the formation/formations now dragged in also being involved in the assault.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

dptdexys : A gamey response to an OTT rule.

Less cheese please.  :p

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Why is it gamey,because no one else thought of it?  :p .

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's gamey because it's daft.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's gamey because it's daft.

...Split the list.

So is this....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would like to see a two speed tau development. A list with just the forgeworld stuff in as priority. Then a second list which is the current one that would obviously take longer. But I guess ultimately superseed the fast track one.

General Plumer, 191x

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next