Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Some Tau Concerns at this point.

Post subject: Re: Some Tau Concerns at this point.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Because I have no graphics skills and those were the only files that existed :) Feel free to edit!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The_Real_Chris wrote:
Because I have no graphics skills and those were the only files that existed :) Feel free to edit!
LOL...I'm sure your more handy than I, I have four left feet when it comes to fancy computer work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:01 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

professorcurly wrote:
I still lost 3-0 (Blitz, BTS, TSNP). I was playing Marines...

I castled up, garrisoning the Broadsides, Kroot, and Recon forward amongst buildings in this city like area. I used Scouting kroot to form a barrier around my entire army, more or less. To push back teleporters and assaults.

I lost my Sky Rays early to the Reaver doubling through my scout screen into range. After that my AA was insufficient.
Did the Reaver actually pass through the Scout screen ZOC? If so then that is not actually allowed under 1.7.3 Zones of Control.

Quote:
High point included two CAP Thunderbolt squadrons flying through 2 sky rays worth of Flak without suffering damage and shot down my Tigersharks as they made their attack run on the Reaver. It went downhill from there.
DO you mean 1 Thunderbolt Sqadron (2 Thunderbolts) or 2 squadrons of T/Bolts? You can only activate 1 Cap sqaudron at a time (as per 4.2 Aircraft - Combat Air Patrol).

I have learnt through much experience that the Tau do not want Hammerheads as their BTS. They are simply too easy to kill. I found that a reinforced Fire Warrior formation gave a better performance as the BTS.

Tau will always struggle against Terminators and T/Hawks full of assaulting formations. I've played games with 6 Skyrays and still been beaten up by T/hawks.

Thanks for the batrep and good onya for getting some playtesting done!

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE
Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Onyx wrote:
Did the Reaver actually pass through the Scout screen ZOC? If so then that is not actually allowed under 1.7.3 Zones of Control.

I was there, watching for the first round or so. And no, it did not actually go through the scout ZoC, he wen't up just to the edge of the 10cms and fired from there. Most of the scouts were kind of curled up around a ruins, and the Reaver merely skirted around the insufficient screen.

Quote:
DO you mean 1 Thunderbolt Sqadron (2 Thunderbolts) or 2 squadrons of T/Bolts? You can only activate 1 Cap sqaudron at a time (as per 4.2 Aircraft - Combat Air Patrol).

This, unfortunatley, was a rules violation I was completely unaware of myself as I watched. Which is more than a bit embarrasing. It was indeed 2 Squadrons of T-Bolts. Each scored two hits though, and the Tiger Sharks failed the first three. Unfortunatley, due to VASSAL dice, it displays them in numerical order, not the order in which they were rolled, which is why I'm thinking of using Hamete for my VASSAL dice from now on.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Onyx wrote:
There is also the issue of Disrupt on the Pulse Carbines. The Disrupt weapons placing BM's on enemy units 80+cm away seems OTT.

Don't forget that you only get 'Disrupt' if all the Units that are firing have it (see FAQ). As the Skyray does not have 'Disrupt' on its Seeker missiles, the Tau player must choose either to fire the Skyray and 'stretch' the hits across the entire target, or fire only the FWs weapons and allocate 'Disrupt' hits to those enemy within 30cms.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Indeed, this was my first game of Epic ever. Popping up with Hammerheads never occurred to me. Not sure how much of a difference that would have made. He had a lot of buildings around the Reaver that BLOS, and to engage it I had to go up along a street in the ruined city to get to him. That's why I was using a forward Recon to call in seeker missiles - he was hiding the Reaver behind this massive cathedral I couldn't get a good angle on from within the Kroot barrier, and doubling out to get a shot from the open field... well, I could hang signs saying "Terminators Welcome Here" on them, but that would've been less obvious.

I probably should have gone with my original plan and rushed the blitz, concentrating my army on the other side of the board though. I overruled that instinct and went into the city though, to be in a better striking position against his army from the get go. My hope was to hit the Whirlwinds early, and then advance and force him to commit troops in support of the Reaver. Unfortunately, that plan didn't work out. Then I pushed the Sky Rays too far forward and the Reaver came around the cathedral and killed them.

What I meant by 'slip by the scout screen' was I had Tetras up at the start of this long road, and I thought I had enough coverage that the Reaver wouldn't be able to get down the road into range. I was wrong - not by much though, if I recall.

I'm a bit confused by what you mean by advancing to pop up doesn't reduce their firepower? Do you mean as opposed to Sustain?

I'll test it out more as I get the chance, I don't see the extra pip completely throwing a spanner into the works, and it fits the way Hammerheads are 'supposed' to be, imo. A tank hunter on par with Vanquishers and Fire Prisms.

I did have a few "man, those Fusion Turrets would be good about now" moments. I didn't ever regret the choice over Ion Cannons. Fire Warriors moving up hit like a ton of AP bricks, and they served well taking down the Void Shields of the Reaver.

If his Thunderbolts hadn't shot down the Tigersharks, the Reaver was going down. One mistake leading to the deathblow (Sky Rays being too aggressive and getting killed -> Thunderbolts coming in and shooting down the Tigersharks. Still, even the AA I had left should've statistically done /something/, but that's neither here nor there). Also, my paranoia over aircraft definitely means I'm going for Mech FW + Skyray instead of Mech Fire Warrior + Pathfinders. The extra shots were cool, but the Sky Ray is just more versatile.

So Onyx, what would you change in my list in order to get the buffed FW squad to be the BTS?

Angel of Caliban was talking about trying a full 1/3 allotment of Air Caste. He was suggesting a Manta + 2 squadrons of Barracudas. I'd be more inclined towards 2 AX-1-0s and 2 Barracudas if I was going to do that, though. But, I have no idea how to get a balanced army out of that basis. I'd want Kroot, maybe just a non-buffed squad. They're gonna get killed in a clipping assault the way I use them anyway. A few Sky Rays to make sure the enemy knows that the skies are mine.

By the way, is the range on the Tigershark AX-1-0 rail cannons supposed to be 45cm? Or is that a typo. Seems very strange that the Railcannons are out ranged by a Thunderhawk's battlecannon. That was also a factor in my pushing the Sky Rays forward, needing to spread the AA bubble further forward than I was expecting until I read the range for the Tigershark guns. Of course it made no difference as he slammed his Thunderbolts right up against the Tigersharks.

Any other thoughts... The Sky Ray armor save was confusing, as it is literally a Hammerhead with the railgun taken off.

The Kroot Hound upgrade for the Kroot Kindred needs a bit of a tweak. As it is right now, they are the same as a regular Kroot Carnivore, but with no Firefight value. And yet they cost more than the Carnivores do. This confuses me.

Other then that, I'm ready for another game.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Only if you fire a Barrage all weapons which contribute BP have to have Disrupt to gain the benefits of Disrupt.
If you fire non-Barrage weapons then Disrupts works on a weapon-hit by weapon-hit basis.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes the disrupt hits are pooled in the hits, and we all remember the previous debate about the fairest way to allocate hits with differing effects I'm sure!

I think this thread is now sufficiently long to require breaking down into smaller chunks? Would concerned parties like to do this or should we just keep going to see if we can beat the Good Traders page length!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The hammerhead and skyray have identical armour profiles in 40k; they should both have armour 4+ in epic.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Also Chimeras and Hydras but the Chimera has a 5+ and the Hydra a 6+ save in Epic.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yup, and that's silly too, but probably out of our control.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

BlackLegion wrote:
Also Chimeras and Hydras but the Chimera has a 5+ and the Hydra a 6+ save in Epic.

Although one could make the argument that a Hydra can be 'mission killed' easier than a Chimera, a distinction that is less relevant for 40k than Epic.

Of course I am reaching -- I think the Hydra/Chimera/Hellhound armor distribution is a bit odd myself.

Nevertheless, it's always worth remembering that scaling issues make porting from 40k to epic more complicated than a simple linear conversion.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well at least the Hellhound has a better side armour than the Chimera/Hydra :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

BlackLegion wrote:
Well at least the Hellhound has a better side armour than the Chimera/Hydra :D

It better have better side armor, with the two sponson/(Ronson?)-mounted fuel tanks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mephiston wrote:
Also units don't fire at units. Formations fire at formations. You never target an individual stand.

unless you are firing artillery! :-)

*wanders back to the beach giggling*

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next