Login |  Register |  FAQ

AdMech Dev Status September 2014

Post subject: AdMech Dev Status September 2014
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:13 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Time for another status update. You might have noticed I've been a bit quiet lately, it's due to life as a freelance designer. I'll have periods where I'll be slammed for a month with little time (haven't managed to touch a paintbrush until today!) followed by periods where little work comes in and I've got tons of time. It won't interfere with my duties but it has taken some getting used to. On to the list status:

AMTL: v3.23
The list has finally been approved! Thanks again for all the help here getting it over the top. What this means is we won't be seeing any further change to the list unless something serious comes up. For all intents and purposes the list is done and development attention won't be focused here.

Skitarii: 2.04
I've been reviewing the list closely over the last month or so and I think we are pretty close to a final list. I've still got some of the new FW information to integrate into the list but I believe we are nearly ready to move this list forward for approval. We do still need tests with the minorus and majoris and transported formations.

Once I've integrated the new FW stuff, I'll release 2.05. My goal will be to try to get in 6 games with the 2.05 skitarii list over the next three months to use as reports for approval. Failing that I'll just be collecting them as I can. If anyone else would like to start testing this, please look in the playtest changes thread.

Cataphractii: pre-alpha
This list is on hold, we'll hit it after we finish up with main sktiarii and the defensive add on list.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: AdMech Dev Status September 2014
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great information. Just to note as with other Epic/Rogue Trader era robots, the crusader is about to get an update for the next Horus Heresy release. The models were on display at gamesday and there's plenty of details on the interwebs if interested. Might have something to consider (or just ignore as appropriate)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:57 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

They've had the stats and load out for the Crusader in the last HH book. I'm not entirely sure if it's worth an update though since it doesn't seem to replace the old load out, just add a different pattern. I AM quite curious as to what the thing will look like as the old model is a very bizarre creature.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What are other people's thoughts on the Avenger? At first glance it seems rather OTT and under-costed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:32 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

The last three games I used it in the Avenger barely seemed worth the points either being comparable to the far cheaper thunderbolt as an interceptor or just plain lackluster in ground attacks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It sounds like you have been using my dice :D

With an average of 2.6 AT hits, or better, 2.6 AP hits and 1.3 AT hits, these are sooo much better than TBolts on paper (1.6 AP hits and 1 AT hit at best). Indeed they are somewhat better than Eldar Nightwings, which are supposed to be the 'best' A/c in the game. In theory they should be deadly against broken formations and LV, and ought to be very effective at stripping transport off motorised formations etc.

How can we get these stats reduced to a more acceptable level?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:50 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Well... yes and no. :) It looks like I made a typo and gave it an extra lascannon shot so the squadron should only get 2 at5+ lascannon shots not 4 so that should knock the squadron power down a bit.

Other than that, these are the same stats that are in the SoB list and are a good translation from the FW models stats. Against nightwings, an avenger squadron has far worse armor, worse shooting against AP, and better AT by .5 than a nightwing unless you hit RA. Of course price does play into this, but the 4+ armor and 3x the AA capability might factor into that as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I cannot find any reference to the Avenger in the latest Compendium, only the list made by Zombo in 2010, which does not seem to have even been developed / tested. Is this the list you mean?

That said, I agree that the stats presented are more appropriate, though the cost (150) in that list is certainly too low, 225-250 for two A/c is evidently more appropriate.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:47 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Yeah, that's the one we pulled it from initially.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ginger wrote:
I cannot find any reference to the Avenger in the latest Compendium, only the list made by Zombo in 2010, which does not seem to have even been developed / tested. Is this the list you mean?

That said, I agree that the stats presented are more appropriate, though the cost (150) in that list is certainly too low, 225-250 for two A/c is evidently more appropriate.

By chance, do you think we can create a thread in maybe NetEA Rules to go over the weapons in question? I believe Sisters, AM and now DA are all using it. I would like to see a matching statline regardless of what it is.

Always looking to Trade!
Angel's Trade Thread

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:52 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Sure, if you want to set one up there that's fine. Not sure what there is to discuss on the Avenger since it should be the same statline as Sisters. Curious about how DA got a hold of them though, I thought the fluff was they were primarily AdMech and sisters liked calling them in for CAS. Are we talking about the Nephilim in the DA list being the Avenger Stirke fighter under a different name?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hello - returning to EA after a LONG hiatus and am happy to see there is still such active interest in the game.

I like this ATML list a lot and plan to try out the Skitarii version this weekend. Quick questions and an observation.

Q: Since the Avenger Strike Fighter carries no ordnance (i.e., it is not emcumbered by bombs and rockets on its approach), why is it rated as a Fighter-Bomber?

Obs: The Avenger and Hydra both seem to be missing from the Reference Sheet (not a big deal, but inconvenient).

Thanks,

Jon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
Great information. Just to note as with other Epic/Rogue Trader era robots, the crusader is about to get an update for the next Horus Heresy release. The models were on display at gamesday and there's plenty of details on the interwebs if interested. Might have something to consider (or just ignore as appropriate)

Oh also dug up that there's some new AM APC based on the Malcador chassis coming. Again, nothing to stop the presses over but interesting nevertheless.
pic= >
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-BIm7mCWlQ6w/V ... 1820_n.jpg

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:26 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Quote:
Q: Since the Avenger Strike Fighter carries no ordnance (i.e., it is not emcumbered by bombs and rockets on its approach), why is it rated as a Fighter-Bomber?

It's rated FB because it's primary mission is CAS and FB makes it less maneuverable on ground attack missions to represent that aspect. Has nothing to do with whether or not it has bombs and rockets, though ostensibly the same logic applies since the primary cannon needs to draw a bead on the target which is hard to do if your jinking all over the place.

Quote:
Obs: The Avenger and Hydra both seem to be missing from the Reference Sheet (not a big deal, but inconvenient).

I know. They will likely be added at some point before the Skitarii becomes Approved.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What would the defensive add on (that a few of us wish would be included in the base list) to the Skitarii consist of roughly?

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam