Login |  Register |  FAQ

Knight World special rules

Post subject: Knight World special rules
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:57 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

My first exposure to Epic was SM/TL, and given that Knights haven't been around much since then I'd like the feel of the knight list to come from that edition. So, let's talk special rules. I'm going to post up what they used to be able to do in SM/TL, you guys respond.

Quote:
Close Combat

Just like vehicles, if Knights have charge orders they move up to double the distance printed on their speed value and may enter close combat. Some Knights have a special lance attack: if the Knight detachment chargers into close combat then it receives the benefit of using their lances (see below). If the Knights allow themselves to be charged then the close combat is resolved in the usual way as if the Knight were vehicles and using their basic close combat factor.

Quote:
Shields

Knights carry a small but potent directional power field generator. This works by creating a power field across a 90 arc to the front of the Knight. By skillfully manipulating this field a Knight tries to slow and deflect enemy fire. To represent this any hits scored on the front of the Knight receive no save modifier so the Knight's saving throw to the front cannot be affected by weapon save modifiers. Shots which strike the Knight from the side or rear are allowed to use their modifier as usual.

Barrages are considered to hit the Knight from the direction the weapon is fired (this represents the Knight's shield deflecting the fire before it passes him). Indirect barrages are considered to come form the centre of the burst template. If the Knight fails its saving throw it is destroyed and removed from play as usual.

Quote:
Shock Lance

The shock lance is used by Knights to deliver high voltage electromagnetic shocks to enemies they are close assaulting. The Engines of the Knight suit are fitted with huge dynamos. As the Knight builds up speed and charges into combat, the dynamos revolve, storing an electric charge in capacitors mounted in the Knight suit's visor. When the Knight enters close combat the charge in the capacitors is so great it can do nothing but earth itself, usually via the enemy, delivering a devastating electric shock which can burn infantry to the bone and short out weapon and control systems.

When an Imperial Knight detachment equipped with lances charges into close combat it doubles its CAF for the first round of combat. However, Knights may out assist each other in multiple combats when fighting super heavy vehicles, Titans or Gargants, otherwise they risk discharging the arching electrical energies from their lances on each other. If two Knights end up fighting in multiple combat against vehicles or infantry discount their lance bonus, a Knight will not use his weapon under such circumstances.

Knights who are charged themselves receive no benefit from their lances, as their lances will not be 'charged.'

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Knight World special rules
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:15 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Also, while we're add it, let's talk about additional EA rules beyond those that would be translated from SM/TL.

- Might of the Omnissiah/They Shall Know No Fear

This makes the formations take twice as much fire to break. I'm a fan of simplicity, this can be achieved with 2DC Knights.

- Bravery

Knights are initiative 2+, this rules gives them a +1 to engage if they're outnumbered. Again, simplicity here. Why count when the majority of the time the Knights ARE going to be outnumbered. Just a flat +1 to engage.

What about rallying? Should they have a +1 to rally because of their mindset as well? Courage under fire?

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Are you throwing the existing list that's been under testing for years in the bin and starting again?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:32 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I'm really pleased to see knights getting some attention again :D but i'm not sure on this:

Quote:
This makes the formations take twice as much fire to break. I'm a fan of simplicity, this can be achieved with 2DC Knights.

how is DC2 simpler than ATSKNF? seems the reverse, more book keeping, crits, BMs+damage markers.

And DC2 is far more powerful (harder to kill, more assault attacks) than ATSKNF … they are not interchangeable. DC2 boosts everything (except making it block LOS), ATSKNF only makes it harder to break.

*edit: harder to break, not bread
**edit: oh and BM on assault resolution on atsknf, but i think you see my point :D

Last edited by Apocolocyntosis on Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:34 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I'm getting people's opinion on a list that's seen three developers and three variations on a theme, and trying to determine where those who will play it want it to go.

If it's been under testing for years shouldn't we have seen at least one report or even a turn breakdown at this point?

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
If it's been under testing for years shouldn't we have seen at least one report or even a turn breakdown at this point?

IIRC there have been some, and I played against the list a bunch a while back when Carlos was running it, against several opponents.

Anyways my thought was that if you're going to start again (that seems to be your intent) it's probably worth waiting a couple of months, because GW are bringing Knights back.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:44 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Evil and Chaos wrote:
IIRC there have been some, and I played against the list a bunch a while back when Carlos was running it, against several opponents.

There's not, I've been searching. Any game they've had hasn't been seen by anyone except those who played it. If you can find one point it out.

As to my intent, I'm shaking things up and asking questions. Changes will float to the top, or they won't.

On GW bringing Knights back, I think most of us couldn't care less.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:47 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Think there is a vassal batrep between me and frogbear with knights, but it is back from when Morgan was knight-AC, how far back are you wanting them from?

+1 to engage flat rule on bravery seems simpler.
Not fussed about GW knights.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:53 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Apocolocyntosis wrote:
And DC2 is far more powerful (harder to kill, more assault attacks) than ATSKNF … they are not interchangeable. DC2 boosts everything (except making it block LOS), ATSKNF only makes it harder to break

The relative power is going to come from the armour/cc/ff values, not just the DC. More attacks, yes, but you can reduce the CC/FF. Harder to kill, maybe, depends on the armor value.

On the BatRep, if you can find a link I'd be interested. It's a list that's been around for 6 years now and hasn't received a lot of attention.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
Any game they've had hasn't been seen by anyone except those who played it. If you can find one point it out.

I remember seeing them at several tournaments. At least two "winter warmers" for certain.

Quote:
On GW bringing Knights back, I think most of us couldn't care less.

Sorry, I momentarily forgot you only like things released in the 80's. :-)

If the new Knights are cool, well, we'll see what happens I guess. Just a heads-up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:56 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Yes ok that would balance it, but it seems more complicated than ATSKNF to me, you get them same power by rolling twice as many dice and using more book keeping. There might(?) be reasons for DC2, but simplicity is not one of them that i can see.

Im sure Knights have been used in at least one Danish tournament.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:08 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

It seems simpler to me as WE are part of the core rules. Most people understand the basics, I can point to a Knight and say "this guy takes two hits to kill, and rolls twice as many dice in assault" and cover all but the fringe stuff. I'd have to explain that fringe stuff anyway (as they're 1DC) and then TSKNF on top of that as well (or at least remind them of how assault resolution and the BM stuff works).

On the bookkeeping, ya you'd have to keep track of a the 1DCers, but having played lots of Trygons and the 2DC knights in the Emperor's Children list it hasn't been a huge nuisance.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:12 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Dave wrote:
Also, while we're add it, let's talk about additional EA rules beyond those that would be translated from SM/TL.

- Might of the Omnissiah/They Shall Know No Fear

I like this. I know Apocolocyntosis doesn't, but I'll explain my reasoning. If you're already playing as Knights, you're already individually assigning and rolling each wound since they're all DC1 war machines (and if you're just rolling for the formation and assigning wounds, you're doing it wrong). My first couple of games, I kept forgetting half of the Might of the Omnissiah special rules, while having to explain how they weren't, but were sorta space marines operating under ATSKNF.

If each Knight is a DC2 war engine, then it still takes 2 blast markers per Knight to suppress a unit or kill a Knight unit in a Broken formation without requiring a special rule to explain it. If each Knight is a DC2 war engine, it takes 2 blast markers per unit remaining to break the formation. Blast markers on rally would work as normal I presume. That just stripped out a whole bunch of special rules that typically got me "so... you're playing space marines? 40K vs. Epic?" comments and streamlined the process of bringing the opponent up to speed.

As for bookkeeping... Make the critical strike a "vehicle destroyed" result and that's partly resolved. Barons already operate with two wounds. We're only talking about two wounds here, not half a dozen. Could easily do what I do and just put a small marker on the miniature's base when the first wound is lost. Travels with the individual war engine and pretty much resolves wound tracking in about 5 seconds. Going to DC2 certainly won't slow down the dice rolls any, if you're playing it right.

Dave wrote:
- Bravery

Knights are initiative 2+, this rules gives them a +1 to engage if they're outnumbered. Again, simplicity here. Why count when the majority of the time the Knights ARE going to be outnumbered. Just a flat +1 to engage.

Agreed; I'm a fan of the KISS principle. The more I have to keep track of conditional special rules, the more likely I'm going to either (a) forget them, or (b) spend half the game consulting a sheet to explain to my opponent/justify what I'm doing. That kills the fun factor, and leaves the other guy feeling like you're trying to pull one over on him, even when you're not. Speaking from experience.

As for Carlos's list. I'm a little more familiar with Morgan Vening's v1.3 list, and personally wasn't a huge fan of Carlos' decision to tinker with the speeds and stats of some knights, generate a ton of new weapon options for Castellans and Crusaders, and especially forcibly cut them down to a max of 2 units per formation. I also miss the heavy bolters on Paladins, since it did make a difference in prepping larger infantry formations. In short, lots of changes, many of them seemingly arbitrary despite his explanations in the development thread.

As for GW rolling out Knights for 40k in the near future. Knowing GW they're very likely to have little in common with the Epic miniatures I actually have so... I could care a lot less at the moment. It'll be interesting to see what they do with it, but I'm not really trusting the newer crop of writers to do justice to older lore.

My General Modelling Blog: http://armiger84.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:24 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Fair enough, ATSKNF is a special rule. My thinking is that it is a spec rule from a core rulebook army which almost everyone knows – it's not as if marine are an obscure race. As what might be termed an 'occasional' player myself my knowledge of ATSKNF is much better than the details of dealing with WEs (this may well just be me though!)

Knight bat reps on taccom:
2010 knights vs marines http://www.taccmd.tacticalwargames.net/ ... it=knights
2010 knights vs eldar http://www.taccmd.tacticalwargames.net/ ... lit=knight
2010 knights vs world eaters http://www.taccmd.tacticalwargames.net/ ... lit=knight
2011 knights vs minervans (as noted, knight shields not played correctly first turn, nor was LOS blocking thinking back!) http://www.taccmd.tacticalwargames.net/ ... lit=knight
2011 knights vs space wolves http://www.taccmd.tacticalwargames.net/ ... it=knights
2013 knights vs marines (link seems to be dead? elsewhere on site?) http://www.taccmd.tacticalwargames.net/ ... ht#p480452
2013 knights vs scoins http://www.taccmd.tacticalwargames.net/ ... it=knights
2013 knights vs squat armour http://www.taccmd.tacticalwargames.net/ ... ts#p479636

might well be more in the tournament section

can't find the vassal game i mentioned, think it was vs IF or EC, i remember having to use different colours LRs to proxy all the kngiht types!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:29 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Damn it, searching for "knight" excludes "knightworld" apparently. I'll take a look. Thanks.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17