Login |  Register |  FAQ

Building a collection that will survive...

Post subject: Building a collection that will survive...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

With my Eldar ToEG almost at an end, I am eyeing my Skitarii/ATML collection as the next army to paint. The problem is that the army list seems to be in flux so I don't know exactly how to configure the units. Here is what I have (with questions):

Skitarii Demi-Centuries (is this a fairly stable base unit in the 1+9 configuration or is this still changing?)
1 Lord + 4 units each with leader and 9 infantry

Skitarii Upgrades
3 Gorgons (these are not Ordinati Minorus wiht Corvus pod, right?)
6 Chimeras (Chimedons now I guess)
4 Rapiers (where did these go? Note, these are Otterware small artillery and could be used for other entries)
4 Mole Mortars (where did these go? Note, these are Otterware small artillery and could be used for other entries)

Praetorians:
15 infantry (is unit size of 5 now pretty static or still likely to change?)

Ordinati Minorus:
4 Chassis plus a pile of magnetized titan weapons of all types (which ones are the most common options?)

Ordinati Majoris:
all three old variants

Forge Knights (these are a separate list as a Knight Household now, right?):
1 Baron
2 Commander
12 Paladin
3 Castellan
1 Errant Commander
3 Errants
3 Crusader
3 Lancer

Artillery (does this still exist in the Skitarii list? Where did all this go?)
6 Basilisk (static emplacement)
6 Manticore (static emplacement)
6 Bombards (static emplacement)
3 Hydra (static emplacement)
7 Tankette Transports (just for visuals)
2 Recovery Vehicles (just for visuals)

Scouts (Sentinels are gone? use them as robots?)
8 Sentinels

Tanks:
6 Macharius with all options

So how do I puzzle this together into a useful army, what can I proxy and what do I do with the leftovers? :)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Building a collection that will survive...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:29 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I can't speak for the others who submitted lists, but at this point, should the G draft win in the poll, I feel this list structure and formations are pretty solid. The basic demi-century hasn't changed in, well, as long as I can remember so regardless you should be safe with the 9 hypaspist + 1 secutor.

Quote:
3 Gorgons (these are not Ordinati Minorus wiht Corvus pod, right?)
6 Chimeras (Chimedons now I guess)
4 Rapiers (where did these go? Note, these are Otterware small artillery and could be used for other entries)
4 Mole Mortars (where did these go? Note, these are Otterware small artillery and could be used for other entries)

Correct. You can proxy gorgons as the minorus with a corvus pod.
Correct. Chimeras are not chimedons. Smaller transport capacity but far better firepower.
Rapiers are now part of the Sagitarii core formation. Mortars and Rapiers were rarely taken so mortars got dropped and rapiers integrated into the sagitarii.

Quote:
Ordinati Minorus:
4 Chassis plus a pile of magnetized titan weapons of all types (which ones are the most common options?)

Most common has been two quake cannons + a carapace landing pad. However, we were working to make other variants more attractive and there hasn't been a lot of reports yet. If you are magnetized you should be fine regardless.

Quote:
Forge Knights (these are a separate list as a Knight Household now, right?):

The knightworld list is separate, but forge knights are a made up unit and got cut from the skitarii. They still exist in the titan list for now.

Quote:
Artillery (does this still exist in the Skitarii list? Where did all this go?)

artillery was cut entirely from the skitarii list. Too much like IG.

Quote:
Scouts (Sentinels are gone? use them as robots?)

You are correct, sentinels are gone from the skitarii list, we replaced them with Crusader robots with the idea that people can still use their sentinels as proxies.

Quote:
6 Macharius with all options

The macharius will be part of the Cataphract list, but does crossover as an allies option for skitarii in the G draft list. If you haven't done so already, I'd check it out, even as just a curiosity :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the reply. The recent ban on display of custom models unfortunately solved the problem. The bulk of this collection is non-GW so I can't do a ToEG on it (or at least ot display it which kind of ruins the whole ToEG motivation part).

I have no more "pure GW" armies left to paint so that's the end of Epic ToEG for me unfortunately. I should have painted the custom armies first and the Marines at the end :).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Helge wrote:
I have no more "pure GW" armies left to paint so that's the end of Epic ToEG for me unfortunately. I should have painted the custom armies first and the Marines at the end :).

You don't have to use "pure GW" miniatures, you can use proxies. You just can't use IP infringing mini's, the other 6mm miniature companies have some very nice proxies.

Blind-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I understand, but I bought this army before the IP ban so it happens to include a pile of "alternative" models from various forum members :). I could of course throw all that into the garbage, buy a new army from exiting manufacturers and then paint that, but that's not high on my bucket list...

The AM army is pretty much doomed in this respect. The infantry and tanks are all "alternative". The Ordinatus are original GW (Majoris) or conversions (Minoris). But that gives me 7 models to paint and show - out of 100+ :)

Alternative sci-fi game systems don't really excite me. I don't really have time to play the games anyhow and the GW universe has been with me for many decades so I am kind of mentally stuck.

I am looking into other games now to find something to paint once the Eldar ToEG is done (Napoleonics seems interesting...)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That's a shame! I love browsing through your threads to see the excellent models, you paint so quickly!

I suggested in the other thread that if this forum does go down the path in future of asking us not to post pictures of certain models (it's best not to for the moment but it sounds like CS is discussing and researching what the best course of action is for future and hasn't decided yet) then perhaps we could discretely set up a new invite only, non-publically viewable, epic painting forum elsewhere on the net and invite only a load of people from here.

That wouldn't be ideal... but better than not showing them off to anyone at all. I also am in the same boat with having armies I can't show off painting threads for, as are many others.