Login |  Register |  FAQ

Skitarii 2.04.2 (in development)

Post subject: Re: Skitarii 2.04.2 (in development)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:42 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I think you may be missing some things. There's plenty of AA options in the list already. You've got:

Ordinatus: each minorus and majoris has 2x AA6+ shots in a 30cm bubble
Avengers: Not cheap but they do have all right AA
Hydras: Just core, but it is an option.
Colossus: 4x AA6+ shots in a 30cm bubble
Battle Titans: You can take the Carapace Multi-laser upgrade

Generally I find that you can have fairly strong AA in a AdMech list, either with robots or minorus and a squadron of avengers. Unless you're trying to avoid a lot of more iconic AdMech units, you should at least have enough AA to add a BM to an incoming air assault.

Thunderbolts and Marauders won't be coming back to the list. We pulled them out long ago to help make the list more distinct from your IG lists.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh I didn't miss any of those options it's just that none of them will make a bit of difference against a thunder hawk (or equivalent) full of troops. The list has no tactical response to that at all. Scouts can't screen it etc so you'll end up seeing your ordinatus units being ravaged by that stuff.

It's a critical failure of the list in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:07 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Short of adding in a MW attack AA unit nothing will make the kind of difference against a Thunderhawk you seem to be suggesting. The list has stronger overall AA capabilities than either Marines or Guard. I've probably played more games against Marines using AdMech than any other army and I've never had any issue dealing with air assaults. If you see the current AA options as a critical failure, post up some battle reports so we can see what happening.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Beefcake4000 wrote:
Oh I didn't miss any of those options it's just that none of them will make a bit of difference against a thunder hawk (or equivalent) full of troops. The list has no tactical response to that at all. Scouts can't screen it etc so you'll end up seeing your ordinatus units being ravaged by that stuff.

It's a critical failure of the list in my opinion.

Do you mean you want to kill the thunderhawk before it lands? If so that's a big ask for just about any army. Even Eldar can find that challenging.
You're almost certainly going to start combat 2 up just by placing a blast marker with AA, which is a decent start. You might be able to add overwatch from a garrisoned formation nearby. Beyond that, I usually assume the large asset will die if a really dedicated air-assault army commits to it, and have formations set up to murder its killers with crossfire or assaults.

I think the tactical response to a huge air assault is to set up to kill the expensive enemy formation after it arrives, and this list is capable of that. >:D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I agree, both the NetEA and the EpicUK lists are very capable of defending air assaults with all their AA options. I've once shot down a thunderhawk in my 30+ games...

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Matt-Shadowlord wrote:
Do you mean you want to kill the thunderhawk before it lands? If so that's a big ask for just about any army. Even Eldar can find that challenging.
You're almost certainly going to start combat 2 up just by placing a blast marker with AA, which is a decent start. You might be able to add overwatch from a garrisoned formation nearby. Beyond that, I usually assume the large asset will die if a really dedicated air-assault army commits to it, and have formations set up to murder its killers with crossfire or assaults.

I think the tactical response to a huge air assault is to set up to kill the expensive enemy formation after it arrives, and this list is capable of that. >:D

Oh I'm not suggesting a guaranteed kill just the capacity for that to be a potential.

By contrast gaurd can take multiple cheap AA units (Hydras usually) and back that up with thunderbolts. Driving your thunderhawk into 3 hydras and a thunderbolt unit on CAP is a risky proposition... Since the ordinatus in this list aren't fearless they are especially vulnerable to air attacks and I'm not seeing much of a way to put more than a blast marker, not much of a deterrent and nothing compared to gaurd who have equivalent strengths/weaknesses to this list.

Like I said it's just IMO. If you guys are happy playing your skittarii in this form then fair enough.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I am never exactly happy to have an expensive non-combat BTS when playing airdrop marines, but it's part of the game and I just devote myself to making sure they pay an even higher price :D

Quote:
Driving your thunderhawk into 3 hydras and a thunderbolt unit on CAP is a risky proposition.

If I do have thunderbolts or their equivalent, I usually find Marines activate their TH/LC first before interceptors can go on CAP and before anything else on the ground can go on Overwatch. It's an unusual player who lets lower SR opponents set up CAPs before they drop in.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:34 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Matt-Shadowlord wrote:
I am never exactly happy to have an expensive non-combat BTS when playing airdrop marines, but it's part of the game and I just devote myself to making sure they pay an even higher price :D

Quote:
Driving your thunderhawk into 3 hydras and a thunderbolt unit on CAP is a risky proposition.

If I do have thunderbolts or their equivalent, I usually find Marines activate their TH/LC first before interceptors can go on CAP and before anything else on the ground can go on Overwatch. It's an unusual player who lets lower SR opponents set up CAPs before they drop in.

That's certainly not standard practice in the European meta. Thunderhawks, and other air assaults, always come in as one of the last activations as the risk of losing them to CAP is outweighed by the near certainty that they'll be killed on the ground if they come in early.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Fair enough! I think I am used to the air assault representing about 2000 points of the army that takes them, ruling out the possibility of them being last :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:53 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

If I may, it really sounds like you want to play AdMech like guard, when it's designed specifically so that it doesn't do that. Ordinatus are nice and do provide a lot of support capability but they aren't going to win a battle for you nor will their death lose it for you and you can spread them to infantry formations that make them much harder to take out. If you're supporting with other formations, especially colossus or overwatching Sagitarii, it really doesn't matter if that Thunderhawk gets through or not. When the dust settles it'll be unlikely that Marines will be in a position to do it again.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Vaaish wrote:
If I may, it really sounds like you want to play AdMech like guard, when it's designed specifically so that it doesn't do that. Ordinatus are nice and do provide a lot of support capability but they aren't going to win a battle for you nor will their death lose it for you and you can spread them to infantry formations that make them much harder to take out. If you're supporting with other formations, especially colossus or overwatching Sagitarii, it really doesn't matter if that Thunderhawk gets through or not. When the dust settles it'll be unlikely that Marines will be in a position to do it again.

This guy knows what's up! The way in which armies deal with situations MUST be different or else there will be no reason for there to be different armies.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Do you think this list will get on the Tournament Pack anytime soon. I just like the organization of those lists.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:18 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I like for the list to get there soon but it has to be approved first and we need battle reports with the list in order to do that. I've put up two so far myself but it'll be a while until I get six done.

We can get it finished a lot sooner but the community needs to submit battle reports using the latest PDF + the Demi-century organization changes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ah, alright. I'll try to get some in myself if that helps!