Login |  Register |  FAQ

Skitarii 2.03

Post subject: Re: Skitarii 2.03
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

uh guys. when I asked 'didn't we do this last year?' it was rhetorical.

We've done this dance at least twice, it's been massively debated, it's gone to a popular vote, and the community decided to focus on finishing the lists first before broadening their scope.

I like fortifications. I have a few meters of heavy admech fortifications that are part painted and another 2m worth that are still under construction. I'll be keen to see them added to the list. But I'm even keener to see the seed list finalised first.

Raising the same arguments every 12 months doesn't mean that everyone else has magically come around to your opinion in the meantime. Speaker_to_machines has written the core of a mechanicus pdf list already (linked upthread), but development is slow since the skitarri list is not a finalised, locked down list that can have elements taken from safely. Once the skittari's is settled, the pdf list will be very quick to test and balance, becuase a lot of the work will already be done.

Help get the skittari list finalised, and you are building strong foundations to put a garrison on top of :)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Then start providing battlereports to get it approved. If "the community" is so dead set on the current list then there should be no problem collecting the 3x6 reports needed for approved status.

And while we're on the subject, exactly who on this forum is A) In approval of the current list and B) Planning to supply the needed batreps?

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:17 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Well you know my answer. I'm returning to Skitarii testing as soon as I finish with the BatReps for AMTL this week and the polls expire on the last round of changes based on testing 3.22.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

mordoten wrote:
Then start providing battlereports to get it approved. If "the community" is so dead set on the current list then there should be no problem collecting the 3x6 reports needed for approved status.

And while we're on the subject, exactly who on this forum is A) In approval of the current list and B) Planning to supply the needed batreps?

I'm part of the Bristol group who have been supplying batreps - albeit everyone else wanted to focus on AMTL first, and I've not got a titan force. Come september, I'll have a more stable job, and be back in the country, hopefully have a car and thus have more playing opportunities.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

And you think this list is good as it is? Only asking to clarify.

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Majoris and Minorii are great fun to use.

I'd happily use any of the support formations, except the Avenger which I've not table tested yet. That said, it's the only aircraft in a list short on formations. Internal balance should not be a problem (ie you will always need 1, and you can't afford to take three formations cos you need guys on the ground).

Hyapists vs guard feel outnumbered, but tougher and more competent. It's that armour save roll that makes the real difference in taste. It works well.

The gun servitors are meat sheilds and an excuse to field more chimedons. I'm still convinced the chimedon wave might not be better then a majoris, but you really can't put both in one list. The gun servitors could be cut really, but I spent so long making each one it would hurt...

Laser destroyers look ok, and they're the key to a successful garrison I think - but again on cost, I'd rather have a couple of formations of hyapists and a single sagittari then go all out on the big guns. Mostly becuase I make mistakes while playing, and infantry help soak up those mistakes.

The overall feel of the list while playing is good. You tend to be down an activation, so you constantly feel slightly on the back foot. This encourages careful steady play, which I feel fits the Ad-mech well. Hyapist formations tend to surprise the opponent with their durability and a well deployed majoris can dominate their thoughts far above it's actual damage output. You have good troops, but you are not a mass attrition list like guard or orks - those limited assets have to be spent wisely. Being swamped is always a fear. Being out manouvered is always a fear. Like any EA list, your army has to work together to support itself.

As I said earlier, I like fortifications and would like to see the pdf list finished too. It's going to be a challenge to keep the list fun, since fortifcations are immobilisers. If they're good, why move out of them? If they're bad, why spend points on them? SpeakertoMachines solves it in a reasonably elegant way, in that the parts of the fortifcation interact to make each other better, making attacking it more of a puzzle to be solved and giving the battle a story line.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Dqi3Um0jM[/youtube]