Login |  Register |  FAQ

First 3 bug battles - noob thoughts

Post subject: First 3 bug battles - noob thoughts
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Guys,

Over the weekend our epic group held a small tournament in Reading. Six armies were present, Nids, Tau, AMTL, Black Legion, Imperial Guard and Marines. Using my bugs for the first time I got to fight the Black Legion followed by IG then finally the Marines. All the armies were 2700 points and we could make no changes to our forces between battles. Full tourney rules applied.

I have only ever used Eldar before in both 40K and epic so this weekend so would be a huge departure in fighting style for me. I decided that my initial deployment would be the same for each battle, my force lines up as follows;

Hive Tyrant 1
5 Termagaunts
1 Harupsex (A)
1 Biovore
1 Zoanthrope
2 Exocrine (B)

Hive Tyrant 2
5 Termagaunts
2 Haruspex (A & B)
1 Zoanthrope
3 Carnifex (A)

Tyranid Warrior Group 1
13 Termagaunts
8 Hormogaunts

Tyranid Warrior Group 1
13 Termagaunts
8 Hormogaunts

1 Harridan
7 Gargoyles

1 Lesser Synapse Node
1 Greater Synapse Node
1 Hierophant
3 Lictors
2 Mycetic Spores

I chose this army to give me a good mix of bugs, plus this was pretty much all I had painted and I hate fielding unpainted troops (Eldar vanity I know!). I also don?t use proxies if I can help it, which is why there are no raveners.

I can?t give full batreps as we took no notes but I will give a brief summary of each. The other thing to mention is that we goofed (or rather I goofed) by forgetting that the swarms need to activate to spawn. We all agree that the outcomes of the battle could have been massively different if a few key spawns had been failed. As it was all the units spawned automatically and I basically brought everything back each turn. Fun for me, not so good for game balance! Anyway, with that in mind I thought I would still share my experiences of using bugs for the first time.

My first encounter saw me face off against my mate Dave?s Black Legion force. Last time I fought against this army I narrowly beat them using my Biel-Tan force. This time the Black Legion looked much meaner I have to say ? all painted up in black and bronze. Those Helltalons are pick of the bunch. We both speculated as to the impact of the aircraft ? would it be a huge advantage for him? The Black Legion army looked like this:

1 Death Wheel
1 Feral Titan
1 Helltalon Squadron
1xChosen Marines with Demon Prince
2x Chaos Marine Retinue
2x Chaos Marine Scout Retinues
plus a daemon pool (nurgle)

This battle promised much but was unfortunately was a one sided one. I marched everything on turn one to apply pressure to his smaller force. I basically rushed him and tried to corner him. The shock of the bugs appeared too much for my slightly hung-over opponent and he was soon back-pedalling.

The Black Legion fight back was led by the two mighty chaos war engines but my Hierophant proved too much even for them. His Feral titan was overwhelmed in close combat and ran away before the giant bug chased off his wheel of misfortune.

It was a huge help that Black Legion airways appeared to be on strike that day (failing 2 out of 3 activations). By the end of turn 3 he had dropped back to ensure I could not claim his baseline objective but he had nothing left in the tank and lost 3-0 (TSNP, DTF, BTS).

The second battle was against my best man, Adrian and his Imperial Guard army. He fielded the following force:

Regimental HQ inc Hydra (SC)
Steel Legion Infantry Company inc 2 Ogryn
Steel Legion Tank Company + Hydra
1 Shadowsword
1 Baneblade
Rough Rider Platoon
Sentinel Squadron
Steel Legion Artillery Battery (3 Basilisks)
Steel Legion Artillery Battery (3 Manticores)

This battle was far bloodier than the first with the bugs taking some serious casualties under some ferocious firepower. The highlight of the game was a suicidal charge from the rough riders smack into the heart of my front line! The frenzied assault halted my advance and actually threw me back (temporarily) ?a single mounted commissar survives to fight another day.

Other highlights were the breaking of the Russ company at the claws of my Hierophant! The big fella did however fall in this battle after taking a mighty hit from the Shadowsword followed by shots from the HQ. By the end of turn 3 I had managed to push the guard back towards their rear right hand corner and won 2-0 (TSKP and DTF). I was only one Russ away from BTS and would easily have secured Blitzkrieg if the battle had gone another turn.

My IG opponent, despite losing, commented that although terrifying to face, he had began to see how the bugs should be fought and how they could be beaten. We headed to the pub not long after this battle and the conversation frequently returned to the bugs.

The next morning saw me take to the field against the might of the my mate Ali?s Ice Warriors Space Marine Chapter. This regular marine army has never been beaten in our group but despite their immaculate record, their commander looked a little uncomfortable as I deployed my 80 plus stands.

With battle joined it soon became clear that this was going to be a very different battle for me. Guilty of sticking to ?bug plan A?, I marched across the field on turns 1 (and 2 for some swarms) but my bugs soon found 2 formations of speeders and a warhound behind them!

Ali used his small mobile formations to good effect to rapidly redeploy and for the first time I was having to ?react? rather than ?act?. Despite all this it still looked as though I was going to scrape a victory on turn 3 ?but wait!

With my final move I confidently marched one of my common swarms up to claim his baseline objective and came up just 2cm short with my closest synapse creature!!! This gave him a 2-1 win rather than me achieving a 3-2 win! Those damned Ice Warriors are still undefeated!

Key moments were one of his Warhounds bringing down my Harridan and his speeders scoring a critical on my Greater Synapse Node, which was contesting my baseline objective.

I know that I am very new to the army and that we made a mess of the spawning, I will list our thoughts in the hope that they are of some use:

1. The Nid BTS goal appears to be very, very hard to achieve and my opponents were of the opinion that for synapse war engines, their DC should probably count towards the goal rather than just the number of units. As the nid player I would not have had an issue if this was the case. Saying that, I wonder how easy a bug?s spirit would be to break!

2. Teleporting. Not having the possibility of receiving blast markers from teleporting caused some grumbles. Again this mainly arose from the marine encounter. A unit of terminators teleported into a vital position on turn 2, I then teleported my Lictors near them. He picked up a blast marker on the way in and I of course did not. He had to teleport first as he had the higher strategy, which caused no end of grumbling. The main issue here is that we felt that the player with the higher strategy should be able to choose whether to teleport first or second. We may well adopt this as a house rule.

Other thoughts and conclusions (finally!) of a bug noob?

The activation requirement for spawning needs to be spelt out for idiots like me who, after a beer or two need to be able to find a clear and simple statement, along the lines of;

?To undertake a spawning action in the end phase, a tyranid swarm must pass an initiative test. Make initiative tests as you would a rally test, i.e. alternate with opponents rally tests.?

The bug army is great fun and full of flavour, its got me thinking about the next battle, tactical changes, new troops, combinations etc. Can't wait to use them again.

Photos can be seen at
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums....%202006

Cheers
Lightbringer
:cool:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The other thing to mention is that we goofed (or rather I goofed) by forgetting that the swarms need to activate to spawn. We all agree that the outcomes of the battle could have been massively different if a few key spawns had been failed. As it was all the units spawned automatically and I basically brought everything back each turn. Fun for me, not so good for game balance! Anyway, with that in mind I thought I would still share my experiences of using bugs for the first time.

I understand the folly. Such things happen to all of us. :)

As rules are written, you'd only need a 2+ to activate in the ende phase, granted, that should have some effect somewhere. At least 1 in 6 attempts should fail on average.

Thanks for the clarity and honesty too, with this in mind, it does allow us to learn - perhaps from a different angle though. So, a couple questions:

Question 1: when rolling for "amount of bugs" to spawn back, did you find that you were rolling average, below or above average?

Question 2: when rolling for "amount of bugs" to spawn back, did you have 'unused points' left to spawn bugs back - i.e. ran out of dead to bring back before you ran out of spawning points?

Cheers,

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This battle promised much but was unfortunately was a one sided one. I marched everything on turn one to apply pressure to his smaller force. I basically rushed him and tried to corner him. The shock of the bugs appeared too much for my slightly hung-over opponent and he was soon back-pedalling.

This is an advantage from the new spawning rules. Since you don't have to marshal to spawn, you can plow ahead and let the end phase take care of you as needed.

This seems to be a common thread/tactic in lieu of the recent v7 spawning change.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This battle was far bloodier than the first with the bugs taking some serious casualties under some ferocious firepower.

Gota give props to the guns of the Imperium. If there ever was a nemesis to the bugs in 40K, it was the dreaded IG guns. Glad to hear this one was bloody.

The highlight of the game was a suicidal charge from the rough riders smack into the heart of my front line! The frenzied assault halted my advance and actually threw me back (temporarily) ?a single mounted commissar survives to fight another day.

If anyone's read the novels... Commissar Cain comes to mind here for some reason... LOL.

Other highlights were the breaking of the Russ company at the claws of my Hierophant! The big fella did however fall in this battle after taking a mighty hit from the Shadowsword followed by shots from the HQ.
Ha-ha! "Go IG!" Emporer Protects!

Ehem... sorry. :)

By the end of turn 3 I had managed to push the guard back towards their rear right hand corner and won 2-0 (TSKP and DTF). I was only one Russ away from BTS and would easily have secured Blitzkrieg if the battle had gone another turn.
Oh... :/

Bad bug.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tactica

I rolled pretty well for spawning if truth be known.

I did run out of spawning points a couple of times mainly early on before the battles got really bloody. Even then there was never much left in the dead pile after spawning until I started losing synapses (which only happened against those marines...)

Against the Ice Warriors I made the mistake of leaving a lone lesser node last in the order of spawning (overlooked it actually!) and there was nothing left to spawn back (end of turn 2). It sat there for 2 turns with no bugs to keep it company. Aahh.

Next time I will keep count of the kills and number of spawns.

Lightbringer

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Lightbringer, sounds like a fun tourny.  Major props to Ali's Ice Warriors undefeated Space Marines, thats something we dont hear often!  Do you happen to remember his list at all?

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Clausewitz

He used the following list last weekend. I forgot to put it in my report. Its the first time he's fielded termies as he's never been convinced about their cost vs their effectiveness. He has been run close more than once, in fact the Guard gave him a good run out and I only lost by misjudging the distance my tyranid warrior could run.

Please don't big him up too much as he will read this and he does not need any encouragement to gloat!

Warhound 250
Warhound 250
Speeders 200
Speeders 200
Speeders 200
Tactical 300
Tactical 300
Termies 325
Whirlwinds 300
Scouts 150
Thunder Bolts 150
3 Razorbacks 75
(1 for each Tact (Las Cannon) and 1 Hvy Bolt for the Scouts)

Lightbringer

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

With battle joined it soon became clear that this was going to be a very different battle for me. Guilty of sticking to ?bug plan A?, I marched across the field on turns 1 (and 2 for some swarms) but my bugs soon found 2 formations of speeders and a warhound behind them!

Ali used his small mobile formations to good effect to rapidly redeploy and for the first time I was having to ?react? rather than ?act?. Despite all this it still looked as though I was going to scrape a victory on turn 3 ?but wait!

With my final move I confidently marched one of my common swarms up to claim his baseline objective and came up just 2cm short with my closest synapse creature!!! This gave him a 2-1 win rather than me achieving a 3-2 win! Those damned Ice Warriors are still undefeated!

Great final moments recap!

Just curious, does your group ban "pre-measuring" in E:A as normally, the books suggest that this be the rule unless both parties agree otherwise? Just seems odd that the 2cm issue came into play if premeasuring is allowed.

PS... really? Undefeated marine force? Wow... he may be unique. :)

Cheers,

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very nice report.  One question.  Are you in Reading UK?  because I need to find a regular gaming group within stiking er walking distance.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi guys

the small bash was at my place in Reading. Unfortunatly my Tau didn't get the chance to teach the bugs the Greater Good!! ;-) and they lost both their ?battles aswell (both on points counts though and one by 200 points - against IG which was very messy)
It was a good laugh and the bugs did look very imposing spread across the board every time. (Almost as good as my Orky hoard!! But obviously not quite ;-) ? )

ragnarok - its only me down here - we are all old school mates who meet up every few months for a few battles and a few beers so no permanent group unfortunatly...

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the report and the great pics.
Haven't seen your photobucket account before and I am very glad to see some new pictures ..

I don't like the BM teleporting advantage nids have, too.
I'd wish they would check for teleports too and get a disadvantage of whatever kind that is.

Epic Section on my HP

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

KiLLerLooP

the photobucket account is mine but feel free to drop back a directory and browse them all. There's some photo's of my Tau and Orks along with a few photo's from previous meets.
Also there's a few of my other passion - scuba diving so one or two pretty fishes...

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (orkybob @ 10 May 2006 (10:10))
ragnarok - its only me down here - we are all old school mates who meet up every few months for a few battles and a few beers so no permanent group unfortunatly...

Well at least I know that there are more epic players in the area.  Do you go to any clubs ect?