Login |  Register |  FAQ

[Rules] Supreme commander idea...

Post subject: [Rules] Supreme commander idea...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

After reading Chroma's battle report it seems that the main reason that he failed was the failure to activate a combined assault.  However his list didn't include the Dominatrix giving him a reroll that might of let him pull it off.

This is a problem with my list as well.  At 500pts (56% of a 2K7 lists synpase allowance) it is just too costy for a standard tornament size list to take one of these.  I personnaly wouldn't take one in under 3K5pts.

An idea that I have to overcome this problem, is that the SC is floating.  Basically the nids always get a SC free and it isn't assigned to any one model rather to all the synapse creatures as a collective.  If the enemy succeeds in achiveing BTS (under the proposed killing of half the synapse creatures) then the SC is lost as well.

It will also get pass the no more than 1 SC per army ruling so you can take 2 dominatrixs in 3K+ armies if you want

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (ragnarok @ 01 Nov. 2005 (13:09))
After reading Chroma's battle report it seems that the main reason that he failed was the failure to activate a combined assault. ?However his list didn't include the Dominatrix giving him a reroll that might of let him pull it off.

Well, it wasn't the *only* reason I lost... *laugh*  I blame inexperience with the list mainly.

As to Supreme Commanders and re-rolls for the Tyranids; as much as I like the idea of the "floating" re-roll I kind of think not having one is something Tyranids should just have to deal with.  Not having to worry about that Blast Marker -1 penalty is a big deal and, despite appearances, the Hive Mind isn't infallible.  In a big fight, the Dom will probably be there, but in these "lesser" <3000 point games, she's got stuff to do, eggs to lay!  Stop bugging mom!  *laugh*

A failed Initiative roll for 'Nids isn't that bad either as it mainly means, for synapse creatures, that you're just gonna bulk up for next turn!  That moving slightly to get the brood out of 30cm range to get 2d6 was actually really cool as the enemy usually isn't trying to get too close to you and you can put the newly spawned closer to engage range is you desire.

I think a rare Supreme Commander is a characterful weakness of the Tyranid list and addressing the "problem" as bug vs. feature is something that should be looked at closely not just to get another advantage for the Bugs but as to reflect weakness as well.

Now living in Boston... any EPIC players want to meet up?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:08 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Why is 500 points too much for an SC model?

dom - 500
SNLs - 100/3
Warriors - 150
Warriors - 150
Hydra - 400
Lictors - 100
Lictors - 100
Lictors - 100
Genestealers - 200

That leaves 950 for broods and elite broods, with enough points of elites (275) for a decent fire-support kind of formation.

11 activations.  6 Synapse creatures.  Counting some kept in reserve to teleport, you're starting with ~7 activations and ~4 synapse creatures on the board.  It could easily consist of only infantry and WEs.

What's not competitive about something like that?  (Try to be kind.  I've been tromped by similar lists many times. :;): )

===

As far as a "free" SC, I think that is unnecessary.  Nids already have great command and control.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (nealhunt @ 01 Nov. 2005 (15:08))
Why is 500 points too much for an SC model?

It really isn't that bad, the Guard have to do it too, though thiers is much juicier...

I think a free-floating SC is too much for the Bugs.

Now living in Boston... any EPIC players want to meet up?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry, maybe I'll explain myself better.  500pts isn't too much for a SC formation, however when it is part of the 900pts for leader formations then it does start becoming too much, since it reduces the number of other synapse creatures.

Nealhunts list does have 11 activations but three of them don't move (SNL) and three  of them are small lictor units.  also 2/3s of the remaining points has to go on brood units leaving only 300ish points for uncommon/remaining independant broods.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

New SC idea, possible an old one actually.  What a bout giving the (yet to be designed) hiveship.  Thus the reroll can only be used once a game when the hiveship arrives, or possible each formation gets the reroll for that turn only.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What about borrowing a rule from BFG - Hive Mind Imperatives. In essence, instead of having a Supreme Commander, you buy a limited number of re-rolls that like Supreme Commander re-rolls... maybe 0-4, at 25pts each, taken from your Synapse Creature allowance. Each Imperative you buy gives you a single re-roll, representing the Hive Mind putting extra emphasis on a given action. You'd be able to use more than one a turn, but it'd be at the cost of having fewer later, as opposed to the constant one-reroll-per-turn a Supreme Commander gives.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:20 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Well my opinion for what it is worth, is that Doms are fine being the bugs SC for now.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Markconz @ 02 Nov. 2005 (20:20))
Well my opinion for what it is worth, is that Doms are fine being the bugs SC for now.

I pretty much agree, but there's no harm in throwing out a few crazy ideas now and again; if I do it enough, eventually I'm going to come out with an idea that's useful.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For what its worth...

I don't think the Nids need a free SC.

But I DO like the idea that the Hive Mind is watching - controlling - the whole battle. And a 'floating' SC gets that across.

Is there something we could take away to offset that advantage?

Lord =I=