Login |  Register |  FAQ

UNITS: Carnifex vs. Haruspex

Post subject: UNITS: Carnifex vs. Haruspex
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I was planning on building a bio-tank style blitz brigade, but upon studying the Haruspex' stats it seems, well, underpar compared to the carni. ?Thus follows a comparision of the two, hopefully someone can show me where I'm wrong (or agree with me, either option is fine)

Speed: Haruspex wins 20 to 15, thus can get to grips with the enemy quicker

armour: Haruspex wins out marginally by having thick rear armour,however a propere rolling tide will make such a bonus useless

CC: Carni wins by one

FF: Haruspex wins by 2, very good since it can be used in multiply fifre fights

CC weapons: Carni wins with its two extra 3+MW attacks compared to the Haurspex' single 4+ normal attack.

ranged weapons: Haruspex wins with a 20cm MW5+ attack. ?however such a range means it is almost in a firefight so will be one shot.

Others: Carni has walker and fearless thus wins.

In my mind the carni wins because they have roughly the same survivablility. ?however if the carnio gets into close combat it will muller anything it comes across. ?Whereas the Haruspex can help out in many combats but doesn't do that much.

My idea for a solution. ?Give its range attack MW, since it is spitting macroweapon greade acid and make its close combat attack TK (it is larger than a leman Russ it should do some damage).

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Guys,

Some of the early lists had some of the 'Nid bio-beasties with nearly useless stats... it was very clear which units were good buys for their money and which were nearly useless and thus would never be used.

One of the intentional steps I've taken with the list is to try and give every 'Nid unit a purpose or a tactic that it could be used with or for. Every unit should have some sort of a use. Every unit should be worth taking under certain conditions.

The original Jervis list that I was rtasked to update had a number of big gaps. The current one does too. I work this list based on top-down management. Jervis isn't the problem. He is a great boss / development head. However, his next ups are probably the problem. The "40k committee" doesn't give us much freedom to create "new territory" for the list. New units have to be approved of by the "40k committee", which seems to make an unspecified number of months that seems to average around six months.

Look at the Trygon! We were told that it was not allowed to be used, but Forgeworld and 28mm 40k looks like they will get the Trygon.

We're essentially out of the creative loop.

The Haruspex and Carnifex are both designed to be vaible with different strengths and availabilities.

The job of playtesters, including myself, is to make the rules governing the current 'Nid list more clear and easier to understand while balancing out the 'Nid units.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

On the Trygon proplem I see forgeworlds ceation of a 28mm version, with rumoured rules, and its inclusion in the latest nid 'dex (in the genology section) as a change in the minds of the 40K committee.  They just forgot to tell us and let us fuigure it out our selves.  The only problem is what to use as hirodrules if we write rules for the trygon.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (ragnarok @ 18 Oct. 2005 (10:19))
On the Trygon proplem I see forgeworlds ceation of a 28mm version, with rumoured rules, and its inclusion in the latest nid 'dex (in the genology section) as a change in the minds of the 40K committee. ?They just forgot to tell us and let us fuigure it out our selves. ?The only problem is what to use as hirodrules if we write rules for the trygon.

I suggested something a while back - use it in a similar vein to a Harridan, in that it transports troops; in this instance, by tunnelling and letting other bugs follow in the wake (which is supposedly how the Forgeworld rules for the Trygon will work). Make it effectively planetfall, without the requirement for a spacecraft, and allow it to support a number of brood units in its tunnels.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sounds good, we need a brood carrier.

Where would you see it in the army list?  I see it as an uncommon brood creature, so the following brod will need a synapse.  Also I would only allow it to "carry" infantry.  I've got a mental image of a carni getting stuck in the tunnel.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well transport is the wrong word but the effect, they will have to disembark on the turn it arrives.  As for having a whole swarm appearing I was thinking that a limit of 6 units per Trygon would reduce this.  Since the only synpase creatur allowed are warriors thats half the transport gone.  Thus you will need two or three trygons to transport a reasonable sized swarm and the points start to mount up.

I was also toying with the tunneler idea, but I don't have the rules with me and the computers at work don't allow me access to the player aid vault to look at the PDFs.

A rough rules sketch would be

type speed    armour CC FF
AV   15/10cm   4+     3+  -

weapons:
large claws +2 attacks CC

abilities:
RA, walker (you can't knock a slug over), planetfall/tunneller ttransport (6)

Notes:
Units being transported by a trygon must disembark at the start of any action it takes.  If it is destroyed before it takes an action each unit being transported is destroyed unless it makes a save of 6+.
May transport; Tyranid warriors, Termagaunts, Hormagaunts, Raveners

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:25 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Quote (Hena @ 18 Oct. 2005 (13:03))
Why just use the hierodule instead of making new (if trygon is going that way). And then ask why we have same bug with different name and can be change it,pretty please :D.

Just add the needed abilities.

Well the proposed list of names we can and cannot use may well change over the next year or so.

The new FW Trygon looks a lot like our old epic trygon, and will be given stats for 40k in the next FW armour codex thingy. This makes it more likely we may be able to include our old trygons in the epic A tryranid list I think.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Guys,

I'm waiting to hear back from Jervis about this.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/