Login |  Register |  FAQ

BIO-NAVY: Tyranid airpower...

Post subject: BIO-NAVY: Tyranid airpower...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Since you liked my previous ideas, here another....
Tyranid Airpower
War engines should not be skimmers, I believe they are far to large/heavy to hover in one place. They should be flyers, of the 'bomber' type.

The Haridan/Vituperator being living creatures would still carry other units, but could also move and fight on the ground to, albeit rather ungainly. They could land on enemy War engines and attack them in close combat. This should include enemy flying war engines (for the Tau army).
This idea comes from a mental image of an Imperial titan with a large tyranid flyer attached to it, chewing its head/slicing through its armour, to eat the flesh things inside.

The above idea means that the Harridan/Vituperator need not be Synapse creatures.
But a synapse creature is needed for leading gargoyles, a flying Tyrant would do, but something else is needed.

whotizname

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:53 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I disagree strongly.  The idea of a flesh-and-blood flying creature being able to approach the speed of a jet aircraft is far more improbable than one being able to hover briefly.  Moreover, Jervis basically said never, no way, no how would there be bio-aircraft for exactly that reason.

Keep in mind that a lot of movement is abstracted out of EA.  Even though a Nid WE might "hover" in place and not move for a turn, that doesn't mean they are actually sitting there hummingbird style.  It would probably be much more accurate to picture them circling tightly and/or riding updrafts to maintain their position.

In practical terms, they almost never stay in one place anyway...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I never meant to suggest that tyranids are as fast as a jet aircraft.
Indeed I agree with what you are saying, but I still believe that the flyer rules better represent how they fly: strafing runs like an airplane, not pop up attacks like a helicoptor.

An analogy think of is the A-10 Warthog aircraft that was in USAF service. It was a dedicated air support aircraft, and it flew slower than other jets.
The disadvantage is that it was easier to hit with anti-air weapons, thought it was built to be tough: armour, redundant systems were used to make it more survivable.
The advantage was that, in moving slower it could search, detect and attack targets more easily and accurately.

As for the rules, how about making them flyers, but giving them better to hit values for their weapons, but also making enemy anti-air weapons a +1 to hit?

I'd be interested in what others have to say also.

whotizname

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (whotizname @ 26 2005 Aug.,15:38)
An analogy think of is the A-10 Warthog aircraft that was in USAF service.

Actually the A-10 is still in the USAF inventory and it looks like it will be for another 20 years. There's a Reserve base not too far from my house and Warthogs are stationed there. So, I get to see them fly overhead periodically.  :)