Login |  Register |  FAQ

Genestealer Cult NetEA 2.02 - Experimental

Post subject: Genestealer Cult NetEA 2.02 - Experimental
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evening all and welcome to the new Genestealer Cult list for NetEA!.

Having gotten the blessing from TinyTim, I have constructed a base list borrowing heavily from Zombocom's list and taking a little bit from all the feedback and my own ideas.

Taking a leave from the previous list, I have added units drawing from a Planetary Defense Force (PDF), adding basic guard units and swapping out some of the unique units with established units from approved lists.
Although not without adding something 'new' myself with the formation upgrade the "fanatic" - a selfsacrificing bombjacketed cultist giving his all for the Patriarch!

List is attached, I'll be actively responding and updating as testing progresses.

Thank you in advance for any feedback and the all important testing!

Cheers
- Kendall

Change Log
14/09/2016
- Added Ark Unit as option to replace Inner Circle
- Added Fearless to Patriarch unit
- Increased Hybrid Unit to 250 points

17/10/2016
- Updated List composition
- Added Aberrations
- Updated Ark
- Introduced "The Father's Will" Special Rule

Attachments:
GENESTEALER CULT Reference Sheet.docx [21.68 KiB]
Downloaded 976 times
GenestealerCultNetEA2.02a.docx [53.35 KiB]
Downloaded 1088 times

Last edited by JumpingJehovah on Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:00 am, edited 7 times in total.
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Genestealer Cult NetEA 2.0 - Developmental?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I know that this is early days yet, but how are you going to avoid the same problem that plagued the previous Genestealer list: "Is this just purple guard?"

I know the same problems happened with Admech (red guard) and Chaos Cult (black guard). I think that there might be more scope to include special rules/builds and 'flavour' to make this a different army.

Other ideas:

Fanatics look like fun.

Are the Hybrids meant to have half autocannons like the PDF and Brothers? As it stands they are a *lot* better than the other infantry.

The Patriarch special rule might be a bit too much of a drawback for the 'stealers. I'd be trying to snipe him out right from the start as getting rid of the +1 rally and the free blast marker makes it feel like he would be a liability and instead the 'stealer player might want to hide him right at the back, instead of leading the charge like he should.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey Elsaurio, thanks for the early feedback.
Purple Guard problem? Zombocom's list (referred to as GC1.0 on future) made a point of being as detached from guard as it could get, resulting in a list that hamstrung itself with no solid range options and poor support for engagements. I'm happy to start with a semi-guard list and develop from there.
I'd like to think it gains some distance from 'nilla guard with its bc assault options, teleport/tunnel and fanatics!.

The patriarch is a 0-1 option, and has access to both transports and teleport to get him into the battle. He is also 4+RA with Invulnerable save - he should do alright to survive first turn sniping and get himself into a good fight...and then die.

Hybrids are the stronger unit, but lack a character and only the brotherhood brood have access to the Magus upgrade, giving them a place in the list.

I'll wait until I get some games under my belt and hear from some other games before any changes to this list.

Cheers
Kendall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey Double J

Congrats on taking over the the list! It's such a cool kids list I am looking forward to some games both against it and with it.

Overall the list seems like a great place to start testing and there didn't seem to be any glaring issues.

Bring on the purple three armed guard!

Cheers

Mic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This is a popular and long hoped-for list, so I'm definitely looking on with interest. Will take a read and pass it around as soon as I can. Good luck with the purple velvet brigade!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cheers Doomkitten, and Mic.

The original list this was based off, was not an effective list.
All engagement with poor firefight and little range - made it one dimensional and poor performing.
I'm trying to introduce some elements from the PDF to help compensate - PDF forces have always been part of the cult list background as they swell with influence and absorb the native forces.
As is, 2.0 gives you the flexibility to build a pure cult list or a list the has some imperial guard/pdf.

As I develop the list, I'm looking to evolve some units, introduce others and eliminate those that do not serve or di not fit.

Happy to hear suggestions

Kendall

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great list JJ, it's got a strong theme and some clear strategic options without being too one dimensional or obviously OP in one area. This is exactly where new lists should start.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cheers, there may be some big changes in response to the new 40K army book being released in the near future, but this current list tries to emulate the Warhammer 40K 2nd ed Tyranids codex - happy to carry that over with the new book.

Kendall

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That was my point on another site its looking more like IG with benefits. Personally if you want survivability for units make them

a. Bigger.
b. Cheaper.
c. or a mixture of both.

The Ark is missing and why have Lictors now gone to 4?

Having Imperial Navy over PDF fliers has in essence changed it from PDF to IG, whats next TL support?

Fluff wise cults infiltrate PDF and Hive worlds, therefore the arms/equipment would be limited for example they have basic russ' yet have a DS Silo? seems to be a rather large pendulum swing.

The 'fanatic/suicide bomber' is a nice addition, however will the unit using them get a BM when they push the button? Having them hit on a 4, would prefer to see them hit on a 3 with first strike capability MW.

As to mobility perhaps the Argus Lighter or civilian transport (flier)to allow them to exploit the battlefield more? along the lines of a gunship with stubbers just to drop troops or genestealers in the rear for example?

Would also like to see more FS capability, it the psychic, rending claws etc etc all scream at me FS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

junkstar wrote:
That was my point on another site its looking more like IG with benefits. Personally if you want survivability for units make them

a. Bigger.
b. Cheaper.
c. or a mixture of both.

The Ark is missing and why have Lictors now gone to 4?

Having Imperial Navy over PDF fliers has in essence changed it from PDF to IG, whats next TL support?

Fluff wise cults infiltrate PDF and Hive worlds, therefore the arms/equipment would be limited for example they have basic russ' yet have a DS Silo? seems to be a rather large pendulum swing.

The 'fanatic/suicide bomber' is a nice addition, however will the unit using them get a BM when they push the button? Having them hit on a 4, would prefer to see them hit on a 3 with first strike capability MW.

As to mobility perhaps the Argus Lighter or civilian transport (flier)to allow them to exploit the battlefield more? along the lines of a gunship with stubbers just to drop troops or genestealers in the rear for example?

Would also like to see more FS capability, it the psychic, rending claws etc etc all scream at me FS

Hey Junkstar, thanks for the post - I'll go through your concerns in order

1. Guard with benefits - the cult needs options, this is a base that we will build from and will be changed by the new army book coming out for 40k.
This list is in line with the last official Cult list release in 2nd Ed. 40k.

2. The Chaos Lost and the Damned list is already a bigger & cheaper horde list, I think working this list towards a cheap base units and strong hitting engagement/close combat will be the first aim

3. The Ark's exclusion is an oversight on my part, I'll be updating the list soon, but regarding the Ark - I want to look at basing it off an Archeotech/Ordinatus design - not changing the too much on the established, but swapping the Psychic Amplifier to 45cm Ignore cover, Disrupt and perhaps increasing the DC to 4 or a single void shield

4. Lictors increase to 4, this is because units of 3 squishy things break when a single unit is shot and killed - making them too easy to remove from the game. With only a single bc attack each, they need a bit more weight to accomplish anything.

5. Imperial fliers - trying to provide units that match existing models. One aim of any list design is to use the range that is/was available. Inventing new units requires the player not only to source new models, but invalidates their existing.

6. The 3rd and 4th Generation stealers do infiltrate and psychically control the PDF/Mob/Gangers/Cultists. I think Leman Russ are a fair inclusion as they are the most heavily mass produced tank in the universe and PDF would have access.
I understand the Silo is a stretch, but the list needs something that can threaten a titan and its not unreasonable to expect a planetary defense network including intercontinental missles - even North Korea has silos...

7. I've already written into the fanatics rules that any unit dying through self-sacrifice does not count toward the combat. They come with Infiltrate and First Strike on a Macro attack.
I'll keep it to CC4+ Macro for now until tested further.

8. A flier is a good idea - a way to deliver the clawed goods to the enemy. I'll check existing rules for ideas and trial them in a later list.

9. First strike is already present on the Purestrains, Broodlords, Patriarch, Lictors and Fanatics - its a fantastic ability that can really dictate combats - putting it on Fire Fight as well might result in a few too many combats being resolved before your opponent can act, resulting in sour grapes and poor user experience. Restricting it to the claws of nids might be the best for now.

I'll be uploading a cleaned up list tonight putting fearless back on the Patriarch (Oops!) and bringing the Ark back in.
I'll also look to put Tunneling inplace of Teleport to represent the cult undermining and infiltrating the battleground.

- Kendall

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A few updates to the list - added the Ark and Fearless to the Patriarch which I had missed on earlier release.
increased Hybrids to 250 for 8

- Kendall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

JumpingJehovah wrote:
A few updates to the list - added the Ark and Fearless to the Patriarch which I had missed on earlier release.
increased Hybrids to 250 for 8

- Kendall

Have you noted that the cult is due a codex release in 40k? might be worth taking a look @ perhaps?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey Junkstar, I've mentioned a couple of times that I'll change the list depending on the new release - apparently it is coming out next sunday/monday? Very exciting and it will be used for the Epic list

Kendall

Post subject: Re: Genestealer Cult NetEA 2.0 - Experimental
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mic Fair and I will playing a game on this coming Sunday, lists below.
I'll put together a report following.

The list design is a quick attempt at a well rounded list with 3 separate units teleporting or tunnelling.

Genestealer Cult 2.01 - 3000pts
Brood Brothers (350) Magus, Flak
Hybrid Brood (475) Transport (6 Civilian), Demagogue, 4 Fanatics
Hybrid Brood (375) Tunnelling, 2 Fanatics
Inner Circle (500) Tunnelling, Purestrain, 2 Fanatics
Purestrain Brood (200) Teleport
Purestrain Brood (150)
Superheavies (450) Flak
Sentinels (100)
Sentinels (100)
Thunderbolts (150)
Thunderbolts (150)

Ghazgkhulls Warhorde 3000pts
WARBAND (BIG) [425] 4 Nobz, 12 Boyz, 4 Grotz, Oddboy, Big Gun
WARBAND [200] 2 Nobz, 6 Boyz, 2 Grotz
STORMBOYZ WARHORDE [150] 6 Stormboyz
MEKBOY GUNZMOB [175] 5 Big Gunz, Oddboy
BLITZ BRIGADE (BIG) [350] 3 Flakwagon, 5 Gunwagon, 2 Oddboy
BLITZ BRIGADE [200] Oddboy, Flakwagon, 3 Gunwagon
MEKBOY STOMPAMOB [500] 3 Stompa, Supa Stompa
FIGHTA SKWADRON [150] 3 Fighta Bomba
LANDA [200]
GARGANT [650] Warlord

- Kendall

Post subject: Re: Genestealer Cult NetEA 2.01 - Experimental
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Jumping J, I looked at the list and I like what you've done. I really like how the mob feel is built into the list and also the tunneler/teleport options. I'll try to get a game in with this list in a couple of weeks and give you some feedback. Keep up the good work!