Login |  Register |  FAQ

How to deal with titans?

Post subject: How to deal with titans?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I have a tournament coming up in a few weeks. It's a 4000 points affair so I assume there will be more titans in particular and warengines in general than your average 3000 points lists.

It's been quite a while since I last played tyranids and would like to bring them. But I really don't see a reliable way how to take down a medium or large size titan. The regular swarms with small creatures will just die in droves.

I guess what I'm asking for is tactical advise for how to deal with titans with tyranids. The only thing I can see doing a decent job is the hierophant, that's if it can wether the fire of a warlord and get into CC.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: How to deal with titans?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:53 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I've had good luck with fexes or CC slugs against Reavers. Enough to soak up some of the 4-8 hits they're going to take going into a titan. A bigger swarm of Trygons might get the job done too. 420 points for 6 hits and 3 MW hits and WE benefits for outnumbering in the resolution is pretty nice.

As with anything else, prepping and support goes a long way.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

Post subject: How to deal with titans?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You've basically got 3 options with large titans.

Kill them. This is only really worth doing if it will get you BTS. It means assaulting with something that either has lots of TK/MW or just lots and lots of regular attacks or attacking with something that can take 8 casualties. For both make sure you have A LOT of support fire to support this (ie 20+ conventional attacks depending on to hit rolls) and take the thing down. In terms of hits, for a dc6 titan you need 24 after shields on average so be prepared to throw a lot of dice!

This is best done at the end of your own turn as (if you're nids) you are unlikely to win initiative. So get all your support fire in place once the titan has activated and then engage it. This is probably best against reavers, warlords, and phantom titans who are less powerful in assaults (against a gargant or warlock be prepared to lose whatever you engage with). If you can't get into that position at the end of the turn and you need to set up on one turn, assault on the other. Try to make sure you have multiple engage options (so your opponent cannot knock out all of the potential engaging units. If possible surround the titan with scouts so that it is in their ZOC which means it has to assault them and can't just run away or blast a more important unit.

Option 2 is just avoid it. Tie it down with genestealers or other other scouts. Make sure it always has a BM as its hilarious if the thing fails to activate. Big titans ideally want to be sat on your board side, covering 2 take and hold objectives (thus denying you BTS, DTF, and TSNP while claiming T&H) make sure to set up your own objectives to deny this and use scouts to bog down their advance. While the titan is killing your cheap scouts you kill as many of the support units as possible to build an activation advantage and set yourself up for a powerful assault on the enemy blitz. This is better against slower imperial titans and gargants but can work against eldar.

If you happen to see a great/mega gargant or imperator then definitely just avoid it and try to win 2-0/2-1 with a blitz T&H combo.

Lastly, this is only really worth doing on turn 3. Break the titan through BMS. Imperials & eldar titans only need 6-8 BMs to break so just shoot them with anything (after they've activated) until they're broken then claim any objectives they were guarding. Don't do this on turn 1 or 2 as you're basically giving the titan a free double move and it will probably rally in an even more advanced position.

In summary. Either hit the bts titan with everything, avoid it, or break it on turn 3 are my anti-titan rules.

Last edited by StevekCole on Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: How to deal with titans?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A great post Steve.

One last thought, try to build your list with one or more of these strategies in mind. Effectively you are planning how to defeat the opponents strategy.
Set up redundancy where possible so that you have several options open irrespective of events on the table. And plan how you intend to control the game.