Login |  Register |  FAQ

Hive Fleet Jormungandr

Post subject: Hive Fleet Jormungandr
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've split off the two lists (Jormungandr and Draconis) into separate topics.

Jormungandr has been updated to use Jaldons latest Tyranid core rules.

Fleet Philosophy
It's a newer fleet so contains the modern Tyranid units with the retention of the Dominatrx and Hydraphant to acheive a slightly heavier feel than 9.2.1 or Leviathan. This heavy feel is achieved through retaining the Hydraphant as the largest Bio-Titan and the use of the 1/3 limit on Bio-Titan Swarms in addition to the Dominatrx.

Minor update v0.57
Added in Subterranean Swarm (Support)
Added "They're Everywhere" special rule to allow some synapse swarms to garrison (Note this is an Army Composition rule specific to this list construction method and not a Tyranid core Special rule)

Minor update v0.6
Minor formatting changes
Added "Brood Nests" rule/formation that allows the Tyranid player to buy common and uncommon clusters specifically to spawn in during the game.

Attachments:
Jorm_V06.pdf [167.31 KiB]
Downloaded 300 times

Last edited by arkturas on Tue May 24, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Hive Fleet Jormungandr
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for this.

The expendable rule seems to be messed up w/ a bunch of dos instead of don'ts. Also, the Harridan already has fearless and synapse so no need to have the synapse symbiote. Finally the Spore Mine is missing its AA numbers.

As mentioned in other threads the wording for Spawning is all over the place. Can formations that aren't understrength also spawn? "Destroyed brood units from the formation" is not entirely true as destroyed brood units from other formations may also be returned. "Formations that have units in their Spawning Pools must all spawn before formations that have no units in their Pools." - wait, but how can formations without any units in their spawning pools do any spawning since they aren't understrength? This whole rule needs much tightening up. Yes, I know it's Jaldon's job...

I will likely be playing this on the 2nd so will let you know how that goes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

carlos wrote:
Thanks for this.

The expendable rule seems to be messed up w/ a bunch of dos instead of don'ts. Also, the Harridan already has fearless and synapse so no need to have the synapse symbiote. Finally the Spore Mine is missing its AA numbers.

As mentioned in other threads the wording for Spawning is all over the place. Can formations that aren't understrength also spawn? "Destroyed brood units from the formation" is not entirely true as destroyed brood units from other formations may also be returned. "Formations that have units in their Spawning Pools must all spawn before formations that have no units in their Pools." - wait, but how can formations without any units in their spawning pools do any spawning since they aren't understrength? This whole rule needs much tightening up. Yes, I know it's Jaldon's job...

I will likely be playing this on the 2nd so will let you know how that goes.

There was a typo in Expendable - Changed
Harridan shouldn't have synapse - Removed
Spore mine missing AA - Added

Spawning rules are a bit confusing. I've rewritten parts to retain the intended functionality but better incorporate the later additions that have been tacked on. Should be mostly clear and I'll add my wording to the special rules thread.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Played this today vs Black Legion:
#1 325
Tervigon 125
6 TG 100
Tyrannofex 100
#2 325
Tervigon 125
6 TG 100
Tyrannofex 100
#3 375
2 Zoans 100
6 TG 100
6 Biovores 175
#4 500
3 Shrikes 150
12 HG 175
6 Raveners 175
Support 725
1 Harridan 200
1 Harridan 200
4 Harpies 200
5 Spore Mines 125
Bio-Titans 750
3 Barbed Hierods 375
3 Scythed Hierods 375
Total 3000

No big concerns on my side. Spotted this leftover bit of rules that is not needed any more - "It cannot be merged with other Tyranid formations". Spawned about 6 gants all game anyway as my synapse fms didn't get that munched on. Having queues or not is no big deal unless the game is a REAL bloodbath. I mean you look at an fm and if it's got 5 termagants it probably is related to the queue that has got 1 termagant in it. And so on.

I miss having more relaxed synapse swarm composition rules as it's now gone back to being impossible to garrisson synapse swarms (gants are too fast). The 1+ initiative felt odd and a bit cheesy, but bear in mind my other armies are Eldar and Dark Eldar so I'm used to failing loads. Needless to say, when I needed to retain on the BIG ASSAULT on a 2+ I failed of course.

Harridans are not the auto-pick they were back w/ 175 cost, but I guess now that they spawn gargoyles they should leave the hive fleet w/ their little pals to add bm resilience and extra assault power. Also, I think Harridans should be in the Synapse Swarm group as they always have Synapse anyway. Don't think it's too unbalanced, and if you think it is, then give them a restriction like their cost coming from the bio-titans allowance (just the harridan not its friends)?

I will play this list again in a fortnight.
The biovores still meh because of their short range and low speed (even w/ indirect). Price for hierodules probably correct now w/ the slight increase over the 350 of before. Spore mines useful but still only okayish I guess. It's the 10cm move that's the real killer. I don't think they should have the may not control rule at all as there are plenty of mindless units in the game that can control... and the spores are certainly not inoffensive!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just noticed it's impossible to tunnel w/ this army. The problem is that only Trygons, Mawlocs and Raveners can tunnel, and since you need to get a common brood in all swarms then that spoils the tunneling synapse creature's ability (the Trygon's). In previous Jormy lists you could get Trygons as indie fms w/ raveners or organise synapse swarms w/out common broods in them which made tunneling possible.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think Harridans probably still need some limiting factor, hence being in support swarms and they only get to play with Gargoyles and Harpies so are not really full synapse swarms (even though the loophole does allow them to spawn anything back, may need a clarification to restrict spawning to Gargoyles)

I'll think about Tunnellers - Probably give the Trygon synapse brood the option to take Raveners as commons.

I don't know about garrisoning, that's a bit tricky to sort. I'll think about a formation upgrade that allows the formation to garrison but it will cost a small amount and place a limitation of some sort on the formation (something along the lines of maximum formation size).

Spawning and Initiative are core rules so will end up where that particular discussion ends up.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I just want a list that works which I can take to the club and have a game that feels right. That is all.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

We will try out this list soon and I'll report how it turns out.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Regarding your issues Carlos the following changes have been incorporated.

Tunnelling swarm in support consisting of Trygons, Mawlocs and Raveners
Special rule to allow the first 6 gaunts to be ignored when calculating what formations can garrison.

For the other points
The 1+ Initiative is simpler than 9.2.1 but changes things slightly. It was 2+ with a +2 bonus for engage or rally. Now its 1+ with no bonus so worse at engaging and rallying but better at the rest.
The Biovores weapon range is at the limit of where it could reasonably be. You could make the argument for a 45cm range but that would require the loss of indirect and I think the 30cm upped to 60cm when used indirectly is better. Disrupt is also incredibly powerful so reduced Biovore cost is difficult to justify. 6xAP4+ disrupt shots at 60cm for 100pts is a pretty good deal. They also should be improved when used as a small garrison formation.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Actually 6xAP5+ disrupt shots at 60cm. And it's not those 6 shots for 100 pts, because you also have to pay 100 or more for a synapse beast, and then another 100 for some gaunts. So you end up w/ a 300 pt formation that has 200 pts on things which are good in assaults (any synapse beast and the gaunts) and then 100 pts on the 6xAP5+ shots (and awful in assaults). Maybe this type of fm fits into a slot I haven't really been able to use in an actual game. We'll see.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've had a quick scan of the rules. In order to fire indirectly you must sustain fire which gives you a +1 making it 6xAP4+/AT5+. The indirect rules specify +1 for indirect barrages as all indirect weapons used BP, however there is nothing stopping the generic +1 just for sustaining.

Simple question. Would 45cm without indirect be better?
You lose the longer range sustain attack (that also limits biovores to specifically designed formations) but would being able to move and place BM's out to 45cm make them a decent utility beast to mix in general formations.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

45 cm would be better in my humble opinion as it becomes 60 w/ a move and 75 cm w/ a double which also allows you to get your stuff closer. Having said all this, biovores should really be indirect fire and their statline is set in stone it seems from other lists. They are 'awkward' due to the fm they use. It's like having basilisks on a rough rider formation (or something).

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

arkturas wrote:

You could do with shading in the line for the Trygon support choice (as the line above - lictors - is a non shaded line) :)

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

KivArn wrote:
arkturas wrote:

You could do with shading in the line for the Trygon support choice (as the line above - lictors - is a non shaded line) :)

Shaded.

Also a holding formation/rule has been added to allow the purchase of common and uncommon clusters specifically to spawn in during the game.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Anybody played this list recently?