Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

OLD - [Epic: Xenos] Hive Fleet Onachus v0.1.1

Post subject: Re: [Epic: Xenos] Hive Fleet Onachus v0.1.1
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:37 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Re: the units in the list. I've read GW's fluff on the units and its about as consistant as a three-year-old's recollection of a circus. Things are said that are later contradicted, and even within the 5th edition codex with its updated fluff there's pictures of models from early hive fleets that the fluff has as appearing in later attacks.

With regards to the Zoanthropes and Biovores, they're in there because they're in the 2nd edition codex and we have models for them. Raveners were kept because they were supposedly there all along and I think removing then only LV protection for Warriors would cause too much of a change with everything else.

So, pretty much if it was in the 2nd edition codex/had 2nd edition rules from armorcast then it made it into the list. The GS cult elements were kept out because they're not going to fit the fluff for the story-line. If we tried to shoe-horn them in there they would end having to be a lot shorter... and not the GS cult that everyone is used to.

Re: who are the squats. The Tyranids ate them. If you have a GW publication that specifically says which Hive Fleet ate them then I invite you to share that information here. As far as I know though that bit of info doesn't exist, hence the story-line being developed and this list.

Re: this list isn't different from 9.2.1, why would I play it over 9.2.1. As I said before, I'm not changing the list organization at this point. I'm trying to test in a more controlled environment than "change everything I can in one go". I have some ideas for adding drop spores in, but that's a list organization change and I won't be throwing that into the pot until February.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
The Tyranids ate them. If you have a GW publication that specifically says which Hive Fleet ate them then I invite you to share that information here.

Pretty sure as it was a tendril of Kraken. Can't remember where that was said though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(sigh) You guys just can't leave it alone...

The book was Inquisition Wars and it doesn't specify which fleet. Nobody specifies the fleet because it was a statement of convenience made to excuse the dropping of Squats from development, not made to evolve the ongoing fictional world of 40K.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:
Quote:
The Tyranids ate them. If you have a GW publication that specifically says which Hive Fleet ate them then I invite you to share that information here.

Pretty sure as it was a tendril of Kraken. Can't remember where that was said though.

I think that was just extrapolation from the galactic map, the known hive fleet directions and the dates given. There's nothing official.

And there I was thinking it was done by Hive Fleet Retcon...

Anyway, on the list itself;

Biovores are, as best as the information can be gathered, descended from Ork DNA so shouldn't be in a first contact list. The 40k 2nd ed codex is not a first contact list as such.

Zoanthropes should be in the list, but as the per-eldar walking version, like the old epic model.

Here's the info I sent to Mosc, there may be some useful morsels to pick over for ideas:

Quote:
Ok, well a "first contact" nid list would be Hive Fleet Behemoth, or possibly named after Tyran Prime, the world where they were first encountered (and after which they were named).

Stuff that definitely shouldn't be in the list:

Tyrant Guard (evolved from space marine DNA, so not in a "first contact" list)
Biovore (evolved from Ork DNA, so not in a "first contact" list)

Stuff that probably shouldn't be in the list:

All the new units (Tervigon, Tyranofex, Harpy etc, though several of these are mentioned in the latest codex in the first contact)

Scythed/Barbed Hierodules: Instead have the larger bio-titan that 9.2.1 calls a Hydrophant. The name is made up.

Raveners were introduced later in rules-terms, but I don't know if they should be in or not, as they were retrofitted into the early encounters. Ditto Broodlords.

Other stuff to look at:

Zoanthropes are believed to have been improved by eldar DNA, though they existed before that. Possibly a stat change to make them weaker? Probably not synapse in a first contact list.

Genestealers are an interesting one; they were encountered long before any of the other nids, and weren't known to be nids until later. As advance scouts they should be in the list even though they're decended from human DNA - they'd been in the galaxy a while already.

Carnifex: only screamer killer varient, and only call it a screamer killer, as the carnifex name is a later addition.

Genestealer cult units would likely be included, as they were considered part of the main nid army in 2nd ed 40k (which is what I'd base the list on). Patriarchs, Magus, Hybrids and possibly even Blood Brothers with captured imperial tech.

The Biotanks (exocrine, haruspex etc) should probably be included.

This thread has a lot of good information: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16913

I'd also recommend finding the nid lists from earlier versions of epic, and the 2nd edition 40k nid codex.

I think a lot more can be done to make this a distinct and interesting list than just taking 9.2.1 and cutting stuff out.

Last edited by zombocom on Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:33 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

zombocom wrote:
I think a lot more can be done to make this a distinct and interesting list than just taking 9.2.1 and cutting stuff out.

I get it guys, but re: my first post the list org. changes are forth-coming. I'll probably bump them up to number 2 instead of 3 since that seems to be what people are getting stuck on here, but I want to test the changes present before introducing even more.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dave wrote:
zombocom wrote:

I get it guys, but re: my first post the list org. changes are forth-coming. I'll probably bump them up to number 2 instead of 3 since that seems to be what people are getting stuck on here, but I want to test the changes present before introducing even more.

You and your 'systematic approach' are no fun, Dave. Don't you know that the only way to determine cause and effect is to hold as many things as possible variable? The best approach is to change a whole bunch of stuff around and see what happens. Throw in a 1/4 gaunts rule, and make 'em fearless, I say.

Where do I post my squat teleporting skimmer landtrain list?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

captPiett wrote:
Dave wrote:
zombocom wrote:

You and your 'systematic approach' are no fun, Dave. Don't you know that the only way to determine cause and effect is to hold as many things as possible variable? The best approach is to change a whole bunch of stuff around and see what happens. Throw in a 1/4 gaunts rule, and make 'em fearless, I say.

Where do I post my squat teleporting skimmer landtrain list?

that's the spirit Matt! As a proper scientist (hello everyone, my name's Dr Matt!) I can vouch for the scientific approach above. In fact, scientific dogma states that you must keep one thing constant and everything else has to be a variable, otherwise it's a rubbish experiment. I vouch for keeping the well balanced "gain more units than you started with" spawning and change everything else.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I thought another basis of scientific research is that there was a point conducting the research in the first place. I can't see the point of doing a list that's a more limited version of another list that already exists. Maybe for handicap matches?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

captPiett wrote:
Sounds like someone is trying to stifle development.
Stop stifling!!
?

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19085&start=15

just coming to the defense of my list-developer friend in similar fashion...

You really are a troll dude. It has nothing to do with stifling as there was no development. It was a statement that the same list is being used with 2 omission of the rules.

You really need to get a life - if all you do on these lists is troll.

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

frogbear wrote:
captPiett wrote:
Sounds like someone is trying to stifle development.
Stop stifling!!
?

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19085&start=15

just coming to the defense of my list-developer friend in similar fashion...

You really are a troll dude. It has nothing to do with stifling as there was no development. It was a statement that the same list is being used with 2 omission of the rules.

You really need to get a life - if all you do on these lists is troll.

So, quoting you is trolling? If I'm using your words, what does that make you?
If you're going to reply on these boards with histrionics, you need to grow thicker skin, "dude". All I did was post a link to one of your (many, many) other arguments on these forums.

If you had bothered to read the OP, you'd know that Dave is trying to establish a baseline for testing. So, saying that there's nothing different in the list was entirely unhelpful, especially since at least two other people had said the same thing. Just because I was making a point in an over-the-top fashion before, doesn't make the point any less valid. So, without the lame humor: trying to establish the independent effect of a special rule (for example) is pointless if you also change a bunch of other things at the same time. In support of Moscovian's new supplement, Dave is trying to put together a balanced variant list in a systematic way. My role, outside of some sarcastic posts, will be to help him playtest - apparently about once a week (ugh - so many games against and as 'nids... ;) ). I wasn't lying when I said Dave is my "list developer friend".

Do you actually intend to help (i.e. playtest), or just take up space on the thread?

Last edited by captPiett on Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:31 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

carlos wrote:
I thought another basis of scientific research is that there was a point conducting the research in the first place. I can't see the point of doing a list that's a more limited version of another list that already exists. Maybe for handicap matches?

The point of 0.1.1 is to see the effect of the special rule changes. The point of the next revision will be to see the effect of the army list changes. I need a relatively accurate point base-line when there's going to be Mycetic and non-Mycetic options.

FB and CP, give it a rest.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

Last edited by Dave on Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

captPiett wrote:
My roll

honestly Matt, if you're going to slam someone for overreacting, at least check your spelling first

captPiett wrote:
just take up space on the thread?

oi, get orf moi land, that's moi job lad!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

mattthemuppet wrote:
captPiett wrote:
My roll

honestly Matt, if you're going to slam someone for overreacting, at least check your spelling first

Edited, wiseguy.

Dave, do you have any initial impressions of the list from your first game?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dave: I'd recommend scetching an outline of what you'd like to do in later versions, such as possible stat changes or army list structure changes, just so that we can get an idea of what you're trying to achieve. There's very little to give any opinion on as of now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:42 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Alright, army list changes I'm looking to include would be:

Moving to the Ork model (with small medium and large formations), where you could get 1 Independent Swarm for every 1 Synapse. I'm looking to get rid of the 1/3 restrictions and just have the list enforce the structure rather than putting it on the player to make sure they have a valid list.

Adding a Mycetic Synapse Swarm where only the smaller stuff (INF, LVs, Carnifex and Tyrant) would be able to come down. I'm aiming for a "continuous rain of spores" effect so they come in over the course of the game and at more random locations than planetfall. I have a couple ideas for that, trying to keep the rules simple and quick though.

I'd like to add a Bio-artillery Independent Swarm (Exocrine, Dactylis or Biovores) as they are supposed to be able to operate independently from a Synapse Creature. Atleast Biovores are anyway, I'm assuming the bigger gun-beasts would too.

I'd also like to change the core units of the tunneling swarm to Trygons instead of Raveners due to the lack of availability of Raveners.

Stat change wise, I'm looking to make sure they fit in with the current 40k stat lines and previous editions of Epic. Nothing concrete yet, except for I am looking at reverting Warriors and Raveners back to INF though.

Special rules changes are already up. The ones that I think could go would be mobility, and the tournament objectives and victory condition changes. I'm of two minds at the moment. On one hand they make the army more fluffy, on the other they're another extra rule.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next