Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Hive Fleet Leviathan V2.0

Post subject: Re: Hive Fleet Leviathan V2.0
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

carlos wrote:
If your intention is to make taking the Dominatrix the equivalent of taking a Warlord Titan, i.e. costs close to 1000 points, then you've achieved it because Dominatrix plus 400 or so points of helpers is very strong. The more naked Dominatrix (oo-er) like I fielded does feel odd though as the helpers didn't help at all. This might have been because I assaulted CSMs w/ this fm and thus the hormagaunts were more likely to die rather than do a casualty. I will perhaps try the Dominatrix w/ 8 Raveners and see how it works.

Yes, the Dominatrix is supposed to be the equivilent of taking a big titan in other lists; it's a big investment but provides a lot in return.

Quote:
- Still not sure how people determine what is inf, av or lv outside of classic armies like humans, eldar and orks. Size? Mass? Number of them needed to make an effective unit? The zoan is as tall as a wraithlord, isn't he? And fights by himself not in formations so one would think AV. But then he's a bit puny and skinny so more like infantry in that sense. Obviously I prefer him to be inf :)

It's done as a combination of all of those factors, plus the 40k stats. Zoanthropes are really borderline, there's a serious case for making them LV, but they're significantly smaller than, for example, a sentinel.

Quote:
- Without Number seemed okay although I didn't use the Brood Nest. I like that you can't heal DCs w/ it and are very limited on what you can add to a formation. Since there's so little to distinguish between termies, hormies and ravies in game terms, it doesn't feel very cheesy to give players the option to choose.

I think it's going to need some limitations when tervigons and brood nests are being used.

Quote:
- The Trygon has a bit of an unusual save for a Tyranid and I was wondering why you picked it. Most Tyranid big beasts have a 4+ reinforced w/ the hierodules getting a 3+ reinforced. The Trygon has a 3+ which is not reinforced. Is it especially squishy compared to say a Hive Tyrant? Just seemed a bit arbitrary that's all.

3+ Reinforced on the Scythed Hierodule is a typo, whoops, should be 4+ Reinforced.

The trygon isn't squishy compared to a Hive Tyrant, because it has 2DC as opposed to AV status. That's roughly the equivilent of an AV with a 3+ reinforced save, so tougher than a Tyrant. Plus it has an invulnerable save.

Quote:
- Why no flying Tyrants? Get that w/ Gargoyles and Harpies and it'd give the 'Nid player a very fast option that is still a Synapse Swarm. Besides there might be people out there w/ winged Tyrants from the previous list (I don't have one so am not being cheeky).

I've been temped to add Shrikes and Winged Tyrants back, but they seem such an obvious choice to always take if they're available. Likewise I think having varients of the same small creatures may just be too much list clutter.

You can take a Harridan Prime if you want a fast synapse for gargoyles and harpies.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

sorry but you forgot the hive guard from the 40k codex is a mistake?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It has already been covered in previous posts: IIRC he didn't put them in as he felt they were too committed to 'guarding the hive' and thus wouldn't feature in an epic battlefield list.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I am considering including them in a way, by making the Brood Nest into a War Engine with a Hive Guard shooting attack.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Playtested today against Raven Guard, lost 2-1 on turn 3.

Not much to note other than that I kept forgetting little rules like the +1 to engage and the 1/2 gaunts rule, which both cost me big. A good reason for keeping the special rules as simple as possible.

The unlimited spawning didn't seem to make much difference, but then I didn't really kit out for spawning much.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Will be taking these out for a spin tomorrow against Ginger to try out Jaldon's new rules. Can you make sure the file is online? At the moment it seems to be offline. I have a copy in my machine but it might be outdated.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The link's working for me, but just in case, here's a cut down version which can be hosted here:

Attachments:
hive fleet leviathan v2.0.pdf [262.71 KiB]
Downloaded 181 times

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

After 2 games in 2 weeks w/ this, any updates?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6