Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

New Tyranids

Post subject: New Tyranids
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (GlynG @ Dec. 09 2009, 18:44 )

Quote: 

more evidence that tyrant guard and similar genera are used to guard things other than Hive Tyrants, so more evidence that they could be used as a general synapse bodyguard unit in epic, freeing up raveners for their proper role.

Not necessarily; Hive Guards specifically guard hive structures, apparently, Tyrant Guards specifically guard Hive Tyrants as per the background and the name. Hopefully the creatures will get slightly tweaked in the next update in time anyway so the current Ravenor as superior meat-shield thing won't be an issue anymore. A couple of Tyrant Guard are best added to the same base as a Hive Tyrant IMO rather than having a seperate unit type, just like Warlocks are the bodyguard of a Farseer.

Quote: 

I don't think the Ravener "problem" should be solved by adding a new unit that hasn't even got a model... It's bad enough that the Ravener itself hasn't got one.

I’m sure someone will make a nice model for one before not too long, we’re good like that round here :smile:

Amen to the Guards being part of the Hive Tyrant base.

I'll have to nice and make friends in here then, to one day get my hands on some slithery assault beasts...  :)

One model that would be cool to model in Epic though is the Venomthrope. My green stuff skills aren't up to the task yet, unfortunately.

- Lieutenant General Michael O'Neal

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
New rules for Biovores. Note the special ability listed: "Instinctive Behaviour - Lurk".

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4nzgPb....ore.jpg

And some mor eitnetresting things:
Quote: 

The Shadow in the Warp is now 12" range on 3d6, Perils of the Warp on double 1 or 6. Free for Hive Tyrant, Tyranid Warriors and Trygon Alpha.

Hive Tyrant variant called the Swarmlord. Armed with 4 Boneswords (which are greatly improved now), and loaded up with special rules but costs more than a LR.

Zoanthrope variant whose S is equal to the number of Wounds it has... and it can have up to 10.

Pyrovore's template is S6 AP4 (not AP3). Also some talk of it getting to lay down a template every time it eats an enemy model... but I'm not sure if that was just a joke.

Now on to Deep Strike stuff... seems that the Trygon cannot in fact assault a unit he Deeps Strikes onto. Follows the same rules as Drop Pods apparently, i.e. stop within 1", however the same source hints that Mycetic Spore deployment is back, soooo...

And finally some totally alleged points cost and stats...

Trygon 200pts WS5, 6 Wounds, 6 Attacks* : Mawloc 160 pts
Carnifex 170pts WS3, 4 Wounds, 4 Attacks*
* Everybody comes with two pairs of scything talons as standard. There are also some biomorphs as standard but don't know what they are.

So a Swarmlord huh?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Is it reasonable to treat a pyrovore as an exocrine by another name?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Hena @ Dec. 10 2009, 18:52 )

Could we just get this list finished without changing everything at every point for no good reason ...

I don't think I've *ever* changed *anything* "at every point for no good reason"; I've always had *good* reasons.

The *reason* I'm delaying the update for the Tyranids is to see if the new flavour text opens any new insights into Tyranid behaviour, biology, and tactics and if the NetEA list reflects that or not, with the hope that it will resolve some of the current debates/disagreements and that we can then move on.

Now living in Boston... any EPIC players want to meet up?

Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (semajnollissor @ Dec. 10 2009, 18:54 )

More the.. uhh... whatever the Bio-Tank that does short range firefighting is called.

The Pyrovore uses a flame template to attack.

Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No idea the range it has... it might be the Tyranid version of a Hellhound Flame Tank... though the name would seem to indicate it *eats* fire!   :angry:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Quote: (Evil and Chaos @ Dec. 10 2009, 19:58 )

More the.. uhh... whatever the Bio-Tank that does short range firefighting is called.

The Pyrovore uses a flame template to attack.

That and it seems to have a very corrosive bite.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

More

Quote: 

The Shadow in the Warp - Perils is indeed all 3 dice. No discarding of the lowest.

Boneswords - disallow armour saves and if a wound is inflicted then a Ld test must be passed to avoid Instant Death. If a pair of Boneswords, Ld test is taken on 3d6.

Carnifexes - ...hold onto your butts... must be armed identically when in Broods.

Tervigon - is a HQ that spawns Termagants.

Quote: 

Looks like we have our 20 shot weapon.

Tyrannofex - No name yet, but I really do think that it must be the "Thorax Swarm" - S4 AP5 Assault 20

Quote: 

Generel rules:

Synapse Creatures

units within 12 inches are fearless. No eternal warrior.

Feral behaviour: each tyranid unit not in range of a Synapse creature has to pass a morale check or falls back to instinctive behaviour. Melee-creatures move as fast as possible to the next enemy, while shooting creatures go for the next cover and shoot at the nearest enemies. What they do is said in their entries.

Weapons: Weaponsymbionts are no longer modified by the creature they weald it. There are heavy variants of most of them for the bigger creatures.

Venom Cannon: uses 3" blast now. They suffer a additional -1 penalty against vehicles. So, a glancing hit is - 3, a penetration - 1. You can wrec vehicles with this weapon now =)

Heavy Venom Canon: S9, same as above.

Scything Talons: One pair of tham grants you rerolls on all 1's you roll to hit, two pairs allow you to reroll all of them. Bonesword causes instant death, as long as you do not pass a morale check after suffering a wound. If you bear two pairs, the morale check is made with 3 dice.

Tentacle whip: reduces the initiative of all models attacking the bearer to 1.

Crusher Claws grant d3 additional attacks.

Lots more similar changes.

Biomorphs:

They grant general special abilities now.

Examples: Toxic Glands grant you poisonod attacks (4+), adrenalin grants furious charge, etc. A injector grants Instant death on each to wound roll of 6. I don't remember them all, though.

Units:

HQ: Hive Tyrant, Alpha Warrior, Tervigon. Named ones: A special Hive Tyrant, already mentioned, and a parasite-spreading winged horror.

Hive Tyrant: Initiative 6, Weaponskill 8. Starts of with a pair of cything talons, a tentacle whip and a Bonesword. Might be given wings or heavy carapace (2+ armour save)

May chose from 4 different psychic powers:
Mental scream:
all enemy units within 18 " have to pass a morale check. if they fail it, they suffer the difference between the roll and their morale characteristic as casulties with no armour saves allowed.

Lifeleech: one unit within 12 " suffer D3 autohits S3 AP2. for each casulty they suffer, the Hive Tyrant is granted one life point, up to a maximum of 10.

One that forces a unit to do a morale check or to fall back.

One shooting attack.

He might be given tactical advances, as for example to grant one standard unit outflank and +1 to reserve rolls.

Has lots of wapons available.

The special Hive Tyrant has Weaponskill 9. Wardsaves passed against wounds from him have to be rerolled.

He may buff one unit within 18 inches with prefered enemy, furious charge or two other special abilities.

Alpha Warrior:

Weaponskill 6, which he passes to a unit of warriors he joins.

Tervigon: Creates 3d6 termagaunts with standard loadout each movement phase, even if he's in close combat.

If he dies, gaunts near him suffer heavy losses.

He has his own psychic powers, though i don't remember them.

The horror is a hit and run monster with wings. Each enemy unit outflanking may suffer casualties: your oponent names one model within the unit, it has to pass a toughness test. if it fails it is killed and the tyranidplayer gets D6 Ripperswarms. He may do thesame to victims he kills in close combat.

Each Hive Tyrant may be given a Tyrant guard.

Elite

Hive Guard: up to 3 per unit, Ballistic skill of 4.
their weapons are 24 inches, S8, AP4 and assault 2.

Lictors: 1 - 3 per slot, they act together as one unit. Deployed like marbo.
still grant +1 to reserve rolls. Deep striking units do not scatter if deployed within 6 inces of a lictor, as long as he was on the table for at least one turn.

Ymgarls Genestealers:
They are NOT a named unit. basically, they are Genestealers, which can morph: they may increase their Attacks, Toughness or strength characteristic at the beginning of each close combat phase.

they have the rule "hibernation": note one piece of terrain. whey the genestealers become available, they are placed in this piece of terrain. they may move, shoot and charge.

Unit size 5 - 10, no broodlord for them.

Zoanthropes:
Warp field grants 3+ ward save.
have to psycic powers: warp lightning and warp lance. warp lightning is S6 AP3 3 blaste, while the warp lance is S10 DS 2 Assault 1, lance at 18 inches.

squads of 3.

There is a named Zoanthrope which is a real pain in the ass for everyone, leachinglots of lifepoints with a strong 5 " template shooting attack.

The death leaper is his own elite choice, named. WS9, Initiative 7. Me is deployed like a lictor, but may retreat and be replaced text turn.

Core

Hormagaunts:
Weapon skill 3, S3, Initiative 5, 2 attacks.

Infantery.

May be given poison glands and adrenalin. Unit size 10 - 30

Gaunts:
come with.... no idea what the weapon is named in english, but it's S4 AP 5 assault 1.
For each 10 gaunts, one may be upgraded with a S2 flamethrower that wounds against the strength characteristig.

Warriors: Weapon skill 5, lots of options. 4+ Armour save.
If led by a Alpha warrior they take up his Weaponskill.

Genestealers: Mostly the same as before, less options. Point cost lower than Grey hunters, though. No way to boost their armour save.

Have infiltrators and fleet.

Broodlord comes with his old profile, at a point cost of a longang with a heavy boltgun.
May have two psycic powers: Confusion, which makes both player roll a D6 and add the morale characteristics of a model chosen by the tyranid player. If the result of the tyranid player is the same or higher, the chosen miniature may not attack in this close combat phase.
The other ability reduces the morale characteristic of surrounding enemies by 1.

Assault:
Winged warriors are assault.

Gargoyles: we knewe about them.

Harpies:
The Harpie is a flying, Trygon-sized creature that acts as a bomber. It may deploy Spore mines at a unit it flies over. Is a monstrous creature.

Raveners: come with two pairs of scything talons. May have a thorax swarm: thorax swarms are a special weapon, the ammunition is chosen at the beginnig of the game. 3 different flamer variants.

Heavy Support:
Carnifexes: In squads of three. Have to carry the same loadout.

You cannot boost their initiative, and I am almost sure that you cannor surpass 3+ Armour save.
when charging, carnifexes increase their initiative by t. If you buy them adrenaline ,that grants you Initiative 4 and strength 10. They still have 9 in the profile.
Carnifexes start with two pairs of scything talons and 4 attacks.

Trygon: WS6, S6, 6 Lifepoints and 6 attacks.

Has a shooting attack, S6, ap5, assault 6, 12 " range.

If upgraded to a Alpha Trygon, he has 18 " and assault 12.

Tyrannofex: My favorite. a walking weapon battery.

Weapons are: Fleshborer swarm, S4 ap 5 assault 20

pyroacid spray: S6 ap 4 flamer templated, used exactly like the hellhound.

Capsule cannon: S10, AP4, assault 2, 48 " range.

unneccesary to mention that he's a monstrous creature with high toughness.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Confirmation of the above (from warseer) on a german forum. And here some additionals frm the german forum:

- Raveners have Ld 6

- Deathleapers decrease the Ld of a choosen model

- Deathleapers influence enemy models in a 12" radius with everaleffects eg only 1W6" movement in difficult terrain.

- No army wide Move Through Cover for Tyranids but Raveners and Hormagaunts gain this as standart.

- the 4-Bonesword-Tyrant gains a 4+ invilnerable save in CC

- Venomthrophes are broods of 1-3 units

- Grapplinghooks (at least the Lictor ones) are also shooting weapons: 6" S6 Ap- Assault?

- i'm not sur ebut there could be a Bioplasmaprofile with S7 Ap2...

- Hive Tyrants allow a single Troops choice to outflank: Hormagaunts

Source: http://www.forenplanet.de/showthr....t601125

Current summary on warseer: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... ost4204942

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Don't go off on this stuff yet, just wait for the codex to come out. Some of the stuff in there seems ridiculous/overpowered/unrealistic in general.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Whatever the case, I would really like to start seeing some finalisation on the nids in the near future. If it continues to be experimental and wait for yet another 40K release after this one, you can forget my efforts at playtesting. I will turn to the French or other lists that appear to take stability a little more seriously.

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (frogbear @ Dec. 12 2009, 06:24 )

I will turn to the French or other lists that appear to take stability a little more seriously.

FB, the current list is stable, playable, and "Bug-like".

I said I'm waiting to read the *flavour* text in the new Codex before I finalize some changes, I've said nothing about including "NEW KEWL BUGS!".

And, if you want to help with finalizing the list, do some playtesting and post some reports!   :agree:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You know I will help out Chroma

There have been discussions and ideas, many of which I have started, that has seen no movement in 9.2.1. I guess if I am going to spend the time (which I have in the past), I would like to know it is going to make a difference.

If that means the structure of the list needs a total review and re-structure (as it is the most confusing part of the list), it would be great to have you start to throw some stuff out here on the lists. As it is, I played ~3 games with an illegal list because I did not meet one of the many criteria required to make a force. That was quite annoying to myself.

I have placed stuff for change forward previously and I understand why they could not be changed. If there is a structure that is confusing and needs change, yet cannot be, then the structure should be reviewed again. It would greatly help.   :peace:

Cheers...  :agree:

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Actually i don't ecpet any new units for the NetEa Tyranid list. But they offer something for variant lists. Yes i'm looking at you Evil6&Chaos  :laugh:

Whats more interesting für the curren tlist ois the Instictivual Behaviour which is somewhat similar to the one of SM2nd's Hive War supplement.
Introducing it for "Lurkers" and "Hunters" would be interesting for synapseless swarms.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next