Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

EpiComp 2014 discussion

Post subject: Re: EpiComp 2014 discussion
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:47 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

elsmore wrote:
I don't agree with a 'shadow category', though. Either accept these models exist and allow them, or play safe and bar them.

This

I lean to the side of continuing to bar them too

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Moin,

What is the differenc of having pics of unofficial minis long out of stock in this forum and having pics in this competion?

Ole

My pueppchenspieler blog

Building a House Devine Army

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:12 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

The amount of publicity.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:34 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

What folks have already said mostly mirrors my own feelings.

The categories are fine, adding a fantasy category is fine, though it would be important to keep them separate since different mindsets are at work where the fantasy players might be more drawn to the fantasy models simply because the aesthetic appeals to them more regardless of painting.

I don't mind the increase in image size, however, the benefits of larger images are mostly lost on epic models (take this from someone who has shot them at 8mp for years). Outside of battleforces which need larger image sizes just to adequately see the minis, there's very little reason for a pic of a 6mm mini to be lager than 800-1,000 px wide. This is even with the effects of high pixel density displays.

No anonymous entries, it's extraneous and has been so for years with the regular entries.

I prefer the simultaneous reveal though, not because it's some amazing secret, but because it's fun to see all the categories and images together the first time and vote on them that to see them trickle in on the forums like any other painting log.

I also understand the desire for a "shadow category" as the lack of it eliminates most of my queue for the foreseeable future until I manage to work on my Nids and Eldar. However, we should either accept the realities of a post GW gaming scene and allow them regularly, or continue to leave them out entirely.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:32 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

THIS is the year that I will actually enter and paint some 6mm.... probably!

I feel that a 'shadow category' (as much as I like the name :D ) goes against the principles of the competition - of promoting the scale and hobby beyond these borders and galvanising and motivating people inside these walls to get painting and show off what they can do.

And, as a rule, any IP infringing materials should not be posted here OR in the competition.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm going to add to the echo chamber here and say no to the shadow category as well. It's impractical for several reasons:
how does one determine just who is included in the secret circle? Age of the account? Your friends? People with these models (and how'd you know to begin with?) etc...
what does it gain the community to have it? If it is secret then it's not doing anything to build gothicomp, TacComs, or modeling here as Bt definition it is closed and hidden.

it's not like a separate invite only comp couldn't be formed outside of TC. As CyberShadow once said about a similar suggestion during the Otterman heresy, "what happens off the forum is your own business".

I note this as a person that will probably never enter Epiccomp/Gothicomp again due to having piles of stuff that is verboten

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:12 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

elsmore wrote:
CyberShadow wrote:
And, as a rule, any IP infringing materials should not be posted here OR in the competition.

Just to clarify - no OOP forumware in plogs etc.? I know we had this discussion after the Otterware incident, and painted models were deemed acceptable...

I know it becomes less and less of an issue as 'IP free' proxies become more numerous, but there must be quite a lot of old forum stuff in circulation.

Heh. I love the idea of an 'Otterman Heresy'.... Great imagery with enough historical basis to make it plausable.

As for 'grey home casts' (I am not entirely comfortable with the tag 'forumware'), its a fluid landscape. Essentially, legally we should not be encouraging or promoting the sale or distribution of IP infringing miniatures. If people have made their own minis to represent GW 40K vehicles, this scratch building and converting, and is actively encouraged.... there is no middle ground, and the borders are indistinct.

I took the view that it was a diservice to redact old blog posts, etc. Old stuff in circulation is the business of individuals, and unlikely to be a big issue, but providing a visible easy target in a web site is not a good idea. As a rule, any IP infringing miniatures are not permitted on these boards, but determining and identifying these is problematic. Therefore, I take the stance that anything that could be termed 'advertising' is not permitted, and all miniatures are assumed to be legal scratch builds unless obviously otherwise or called out as such, in line with 'innocent until proven guilty'.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:26 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

I do wonder if we are approaching a time when the Epic/other categories will be reversed. With the current state, its difficult for people without a large lead mountain to put together more than a single SHT or formation of tanks, while the other manufacturer categories are limited to a single model when its relatively easy to build a formation. I wonder whether it would be better to have two mirrored sets of categories:
- single infantry stand or tank or regular flier
- single SHT, Warmachine (including Warmachine fliers) or Titan
- platoon: 9 stands of infantry/tanks/regular fliers, where a SHT/Titan counts as 3 stands
- company: at least three platoons as above

Each of these would have an 'Epic' version and an 'other' version, and each entry must consist of miniatures drawn from only one manufacturer (no mixing lines). Plus, an 'open' category where anything goes gives a total of nine cateogories. The only issue is that I wonder how many entries we would get for the 'other manufacturers' lines.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As a relative newcomer (who probably won't have anything ready for this go around) I was wondering am I allowed to enter this competition using my Exodus Wars miniatures. This seems to relate to your posts CS.

I'd really like to be in a place where I could enter my human army next year. However that army has a mix of Exodus Wars and GW guarsmen on almost every base. It seems that currently this isn't allowed, even though I'm building a Lost and the Damned army under the official rules with the only figures that are available to me.

I have a separate question about conversions. Can I just make the conversion and not paint it? Is that something I can enter?

www.youtube.com/user/ManticMoments

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

[quote="CyberShadow"
Each of these would have an 'Epic' version and an 'other' version, and each entry must consist of miniatures drawn from only one manufacturer (no mixing lines).[/quote]

Why should people be restricted to using only one line? I think you might be wrong about this - currently there are dedicated categories for specific manufacturers, but I believe the main categories are open to 6mm sci-fi models from any company.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next