Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

[Total War] In-Progress Scenario List - UPDATED

Post subject: [Total War] In-Progress Scenario List
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This all sounds very cool  :agree:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Brother-Captain Parzval @ 12 Mar. 2009, 22:47 )

This all sounds very cool  :agree:

Thanks!

Some teasers have already been released, look for the [Total War] tag to check them out.

Now living in Boston... any EPIC players want to meet up?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have been reading through the stuff so far, and I have to say it is looking really interesting in concept. I really like the single page, standard layout, and the ideas seem to be presented at about the right level.

That said, IMO it would be clearer if certain definitions and processes were abstracted to a separate 'header' section or page. Doing this would also give you a little more space to flesh out the scenario summary etc.
  • The deployment process (players building the terrain and choosing sides etc). Also whether the players may choose to play using the ‘short’ edge or even ‘corners’
  • Perhaps a summary of objectives and how they are used in the separate scenarios. Alternatively, there should be a small section for objectives each scenario.
  • What the various Scenario levels are intended to do (Alpha, Delta, Omega etc)

Equally, the rules for Concealment and Planetary conditions should also contain sections for :-
  • The definitions of Contingent, Vanguard, Garrison and Reinforcement.
  • Attrition, Surprised, Fortification and Preliminary Bombardment need defining and should also be put here

While I really like the ideas and the way they are presented, I did find some of the wording in the scenarios a little confusing, and sometimes at odds with the E:A rules for example, can Eldar use normal troops to garrison as they are normally constrained to Rangers and War Walkers. I know it is really hard, but could you try to be even more specific about who does what in the main sections; Gaming area, Deployment and especially Victory conditions.

Possibly consider using a 'sub-process' approach that can be applied to each section. For example Deployment might contain:-
- Contingents (allocation and removal);
- Formation assignment (Spacecraft, Garrisons, Vanguard, reserves and Reinforcements);
- Formation deployment etc

Some scenarios contained army list constraints that probably should be presented in the 'Forces' section, and there may be other parts where things should be re-ordered.

However, all-in-all it is a really first class effort, and I can't wait to get a look at the finished document or to try some of these with people in the UK. The scenarios would also really lend themselves to 'campaign' battles - where two or more people fight a series of engagements essentially using a single army (or even various sub-sets of a single army), and the results of one battle impose certain constraints on the following battle.

Vitai lampada
Sir Hemry Newbolt

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for your comments, Ginger!  I just got back from a concert and am getting ready for bed.  I'll respond more in depth tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Ginger @ 25 May 2009, 23:42 )

I have been reading through the stuff so far, and I have to say it is looking really interesting in concept. I really like the single page, standard layout, and the ideas seem to be presented at about the right level.

Thanks!  I'm having a lot of fun putting it together.

That said, IMO it would be clearer if certain definitions and processes were abstracted to a separate 'header' section or page. Doing this would also give you a little more space to flesh out the scenario summary etc.

Since all the scenarios I've released so far have just been "samples", the "actual" scenarios won't include any of the rules box outs, there will be a complete section of the book detailing all the various special rules used in the various scenarios.  That will free up space on each scenario page to present more specific info.

• What the various Scenario levels are intended to do (Alpha, Delta, Omega etc)

The "threat levels" of the scenarios are advanced rules that haven't been released yet... still need people just to play the "basic/alpha" level of the scenarios before we go crazy!  *laugh*

Equally, the rules for Concealment and Planetary conditions should also contain sections for :-
  • Attrition, Surprised, Fortification and Preliminary Bombardment need defining and should also be put here

As stated above, all these rules, and more, will be detailed in their own section.

While I really like the ideas and the way they are presented, I did find some of the wording in the scenarios a little confusing, and sometimes at odds with the E:A rules for example, can Eldar use normal troops to garrison as they are normally constrained to Rangers and War Walkers.
"Race specific" rules will be addressed in the rules section associated with the "core" rules they modify.

In most scenarios, Eldar will have to abide by the "no garrisons" rule, but since they rarely "defend" territory, they'll have a modifier to the Strategy Roll made to determine Attacker/Defender to offset that disadvantage.

I know it is really hard, but could you try to be even more specific about who does what in the main sections; Gaming area, Deployment and especially Victory conditions.

Possibly consider using a 'sub-process' approach that can be applied to each section.
I'll see what I can do to make that more clear.

Some scenarios contained army list constraints that probably should be presented in the 'Forces' section, and there may be other parts where things should be re-ordered.
The only constraint I can think of at the moment is the occasional "no spacecraft", and even that may be removed.

The scenarios would also really lend themselves to 'campaign' battles - where two or more people fight a series of engagements essentially using a single army (or even various sub-sets of a single army), and the results of one battle impose certain constraints on the following battle.
Campaign rules, special objectives, secret missions, "Strategy Cards" are all additional things that are planned for "EPIC: Total War".

Thanks a bunch for your interest!  Hope you can take some of the scenarios and stuff for a spin and help the development process even more!   :agree:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Chroma @ 30 May 2009, 16:26 )

As stated above, all these rules, and more, will be detailed in their own section.
I know it is really hard, but could you try to be even more specific about who does what in the main sections; Gaming area, Deployment and especially Victory conditions.

Possibly consider using a 'sub-process' approach that can be applied to each section.

I'll see what I can do to make that more clear.

Chroma, is there any chance of getting some of the other bits sorted out before next weekend? (Attrition, Surprised, Fortification and Preliminary Bombardment).

Aslo, do you have any pointers for running the scenarios - caveats, or things you want tested, like the 'sub-process'?

Vitai lampada
Sir Hemry Newbolt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Stupid question but...What exactly total war is going to be? Is it going to be scenario supplement? Released in print? PDF only? Anything other than scenarios? Rough estimation on when it's done?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Can I put in a request for an airbase attack scenario please Chroma? Where victory turns on destroying/protecting enough planes. Could be really cool and characterful! It occured to me while looking through the lovely new FW airbase scenery I've bought. It could also be a good scenario to run if trying to introduce an Aeronautica Imperialis player/fan to Epic. If anyone actually plays AI that is.

Virtually all races have aircraft, and could conceivably have some kind of airbase, even just a temporary one or somewhere their planes are resting. Tyranids could have Harridan breeding pools/resting areas. Necrons are the only ones who don't have any aircraft, but they could still defend and play in the same way, you could just image small pryamids / bits of weird Necron tech / not yet active Pylons or whatever instead.

I'd suggest maybe 6-8ish planes and that they shouldn't be able to take off or attack during the game or it could get complicated and unbalanced.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (tneva82 @ 28 Jun. 2009, 18:28 )

Stupid question but...What exactly total war is going to be?

"EPIC: Total War" is planned to be a scenario and campaign play supplement with alternate and additional rules; thses will include new types of terrain, battlefield effects, and other rules to allow a *wide* variety of games... from storming a Hive City, to fighting through a Space Hulk, to battling in trenches on a low-gravity airless moon!  Lotsa good stuff!  Look for threads with the "[Total War]" tag for stuff to playtest.

The hope is that it can be released under the "Raiders & Crusaders" imprint that put out "EPIC: Raiders" and is currently looking to put out "EPIC: Siege".

The timeframe for release is nebulous, but, I hope to have most of it done withing 6-8 months... sooner if my wife goes to more conferences this year.  *laugh*

Playtesting of the already released scenarios would be greatly appreciated and any input and questions are also appreciated.

Thanks for your interest!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (GlynG @ 28 Jun. 2009, 20:10 )

Can I put in a request for an airbase attack scenario please Chroma? Where victory turns on destroying/protecting enough planes.

It's a cool idea, GlynG, but it's a little too "specific" as a basic scenario.

Such a battle would probably fall under "Hit and Run", "Sabotage" (for a small game), or a type of "Raid"; with each of the airfields/hangers being an installation that had to be destroyed or protected by the participants.  So it definitely can be done!

I just might have to use such a "specific" setup for the "historic re-fight" of this type of scenario!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey all!

Thanks to the people who have tried out some of the scenarios, I really appreciate it!

I'm looking to do another big push of writing this week with my wife away at a conference, so stay tuned!

Also, any input is appreciated!  *laugh*

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Rastamann @ 06 Jul. 2009, 20:22 )

Chroma, what kind of campaign advice or rules are you thinking of including in the supplement?

I'd like to see a map campaign, either area-based or point-to-point

Ladder and story campaigns will be addressed, but, currently, the primary type of campaign will be what's being called an "areas of interest" campaign, of which a "map-based" campaign, with various linked territories, would be a sub-set.

One of the concepts of "areas of interest" is the use of "tiers" to allow certain areas to be more expansive than just a single place, depending on the length and depth the players of the campaign want to engage it.

Example: If fighting over a continent, a Hive City might be an "area of interest", a single location, but on a "deeper" tier, the city could be broken down into the Spaceport, the Manufactorium District, the Imperial Palace Grounds, the Great Gates, and the Outlands; all of which would have to be fought over to secure the city.  A short campaign might just revolve around the fight for that city, while a larger campaign might have that battle as only the smallest part of a great WAAAGH!!!

The idea is to allow for scaling up or down as the participating players desire, both at the start of a campaign, and as play progresses.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next