Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

DOMINION

Post subject: Re: DOMINION
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:41 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Maulers can be added to a mechanised century at the standard upgrade cost.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

How big will regular/skinner armies be? Elites seem to be something like 3-400 infantry and 60-70 vehicles at 300 power. Guard and Orks in Epic typically field twice or three times as many models as Marines. Will it be about the same in Dominion, or are the Elites not quite as elite in this game?

Sent fra min Nexus 5X via Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ulrik wrote:
How big will regular/skinner armies be? Elites seem to be something like 3-400 infantry and 60-70 vehicles at 300 power. Guard and Orks in Epic typically field twice or three times as many models as Marines. Will it be about the same in Dominion, or are the Elites not quite as elite in this game?

Hi,

There really is no way to say as of yet how big other armies may be. As with all things sales will drive decisions on expansion into other factions, although having said that some regulars models are in production as we speak as are the other two cybershadow stalkers.

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

moredakka wrote:
There really is no way to say as of yet how big other armies may be. As with all things sales will drive decisions on expansion into other factions, although having said that some regulars models are in production as we speak as are the other two cybershadow stalkers.

I was thinking more in army selection - like, how many elements. I'm hoping the range gets as big as you can get it!*

The army deal for the Elites are 33 elements (bases) if I counted right, clocking in at 228 points. I was wondering if regulars/skinners will field a comparable number of elements, or will they field bigger centuries (given the activation cap)? 60 elements? 100?

(If I jump into this I'd want a Skinnerz army with Regulars as a second army/sparring partner, but I may have to splurge on an Elite force just to show some support - and for painting tests, of course.)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd assume swarms of infantry?

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/bitsblitz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ulrik wrote:
moredakka wrote:

I was thinking more in army selection - like, how many elements. I'm hoping the range gets as big as you can get it!*

The army deal for the Elites are 33 elements (bases) if I counted right, clocking in at 228 points. I was wondering if regulars/skinners will field a comparable number of elements, or will they field bigger centuries (given the activation cap)? 60 elements? 100?

(If I jump into this I'd want a Skinnerz army with Regulars as a second army/sparring partner, but I may have to splurge on an Elite force just to show some support - and for painting tests, of course.)

All stands for the most part represent platoon sized formations in the game so in a lot of cases there would be more figures on a base as regulars have bigger platoon sizes than my elites. Obviously regular troops are going to be cheaper in points so you will always get more bases at least on the infantry side of the equation, tanks would be fairly similar in numbers I would think but perhaps i'm not the best guy to answer that question as i'm not actually involved much in the games development at this time.

We will have to wait and see what Tim and Craig come up with for these other armies.

Cheers John

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

One further comment: looking at the picture of Tim and Ben's playtest game earlier in the thread, the formations look way too tight. Epic sometimes also falls prey to this, modern armies generally do not deploy in such tight formations?

I would be really happy if the rules could address this somehow - sci-fi armies deployed in block formations look really wrong to me....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Formations have a coherency of 30cm between units. So a formation could cover 60cm of separation with just 3 units if you wanted to.

In practice, we're finding it's useful to concentrate forces, in order to undertake Defeat In Detail on the opponent.

The rules also have something similar to Epic's "zones of control" mechanic (a "bubble" around the unit where enemy movement is constrained), meaning that the unit stand represents the centre of an somewhat larger area of the board that the unit is theoretically dispersed into.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It has always been useful in warfare to concentrate your forces. The issue is more that it's become insanely dangerous to fight in closed order, and this is something I feel is lacking - in 40k, in Epic and maybe also in Dominion. Troops *can* spread out to control ground, but there's rarely any of the risk I would expect to concentrate forces.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ulrik

If your looking for a set of rules that simulates what combat will be in the distant future then you will need to look elsewhere.

WH40K, Epic and most likely Dominion are rules for playing miniatures in a sci-fi setting. These are rules that close combat plays a great part in the action and where weapons have short kill ranges its about getting your toys on the table ;D

Mayhem

For the Gamers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ulrik wrote:
It has always been useful in warfare to concentrate your forces. The issue is more that it's become insanely dangerous to fight in closed order, and this is something I feel is lacking - in 40k, in Epic and maybe also in Dominion. Troops *can* spread out to control ground, but there's rarely any of the risk I would expect to concentrate forces.

We are playing with armoured space knights that run around hacking each other to bits with chainsaws i'm not sure realism is on the cards here. :-\ ;) ;D

Having said that if a set of rules don't have what you need why not modify them with your own house rules, worth a try at least. :)

Cheers

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm not necessarily after realism, but after a good looking battle field.

And formations deploying as tight as they can, base to base, just doesn't look good to me. If I wanted to pack the table with miniatures I'd play 40k.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Given a stand has multiple models on it if you're basing them per the dominion rules i don't think it produces the same issue of 'squashing up' that either Epic or 40k has (Especially vehicles in Epic for cover purposes) - having 3 stands of tanks next to each other for instance looks fine as they're spread out on the bases and just look like they're travelling in formation. Now that i've painted up a reasonable number of stands i'll stick some pics up to show you what i mean later if i get a chance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

RichardL wrote:
Given a stand has multiple models on it if you're basing them per the dominion rules i don't think it produces the same issue of 'squashing up' that either Epic or 40k has (Especially vehicles in Epic for cover purposes) - having 3 stands of tanks next to each other for instance looks fine as they're spread out on the bases and just look like they're travelling in formation. Now that i've painted up a reasonable number of stands i'll stick some pics up to show you what i mean later if i get a chance.

Hmm, that's sounds reasonable. Having those pictures would be great - looking forward to then if you get the chance!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Here's a few pics of a mass of bases, one slightly apart and one all next to each other in a big blob. Please do excuse the darker looking bases on the infantry, that's the poor lighting i'm afraid.

Finally, just a unit of 4 stands of tanks on their own.

Hope that helps :)

Attachments:
File comment: Tanks
IMG_20180102_210259.jpg
IMG_20180102_210259.jpg [ 191.5 KiB | Viewed 44188 times ]
File comment: Blob
IMG_20180102_210142.jpg
IMG_20180102_210142.jpg [ 237.72 KiB | Viewed 44188 times ]
File comment: Spread
IMG_20180102_210113.jpg
IMG_20180102_210113.jpg [ 260.15 KiB | Viewed 44188 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next