Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

Vanguard Miniatures the future

Post subject: Re: Vanguard Miniatures the future
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the link and explanation, I'll look into the AU HH lists in time.

This is kind of OT, but not entirely and sort of a well meaning OT given that Vanguard sell proxies that would work best in a HH list and that would possibly sell more of if they had a list to use properly in.

The Epic-UK Iron Warriors is probably the closest of theirs for a ground HH army but it's missing way too many units to really be a good generic HH list. You'd also want aircraft like Storm Eagles, Thunderhawks, Stormbirds plus Scouts, Jetbikes, Sicarans, Mastadons, ect. You'd want Imperial titans rather than Chaos ones and you'd have to use Obliterators for AA when there isn't really a comparable HH unit for them to be. I for one would like to see a proper Epic-UK HH list sometime.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Stormwind wrote:
There's something I don't think I've seen anyone say...

The infantry models aren't just "as good" as the old GW plastics - they are BETTER, in part because they are multi pose. The multi pose Skinnerz are fantastic - the gas mask Nova forces are perfect. Vehicles are similar to things that have already had waves of releases from GW since the 80s and can appear on eBay, whereas the infantry is unique and a noticeable improvement on the originals.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I'm sure I said it somewhere before in fact. All else being equal(price, effort to obtain), I'll pick DiD and Onslaught every time over GW.

Nitpick wrote:
I bought a set of the new very nice looking trucks recently. I am afraid they are way too big. For me. Compared them to my rather tiny Onslaught limos, they are on the other end of the scale. Did not look like they would be the same class of vehicle. Managed to sell them to a fellow taccomer, though. He really liked them, so mileage certainly varies.

As someone who lost his EPIC collection, and only restarted a few years ago, scale is really difficult for me to follow. I really want a cult army with vehicles from as many ranges as possible, but it is so difficult to find how so many varied models scale with eachother.

@moredakka
I guess I'm the only one who didn't expect this? I saw this as a great small business idea.
I wish you could have afforded even more plastics, but without a reliable manufacturer, and a golden goose, I can see why that will be a once off.

I feel like the 6mm scene is languishing in an awful manner. The players who are still really into it, are mostly playing a game that keeps splintering. While they can bring some newbs in, it will never be enough to replenish those leaving, nevermind on the scale of GW, Mantic, PP and s on.

I think a new game system is needed. Marketing, events, the whole hooplah. Problem is that anyone currenting doing this, doesn't have anything near the marketing budget of Mantic, nevermind GW.

www.youtube.com/user/ManticMoments

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

moredakka wrote:
Still have a siege mortar version of the trojan to do...

What about this?

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/bitsblitz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Loads of replies since yesterday thanks people i'll try to respond to as many as I can. First the truck, it's funny but I thought it a little small from my perspective, have you ever stood next to a modern military truck I have and they are huge. My model is about right if scaled next to an infantry figure I do like it to look like the figures could actually fit inside the cab also the tractor variant is a tow vehicle for the artillery pieces any smaller and it would look underpowered. Conversly I found onslaughts limo to be way to small for my tastes it's more 1/285 scale than the 6mm we have in europe but well that's just my view.

Skinnerz walkers, yes I like the crusher myself and do intend to create a couple larger versions at sometime in the future.

Horus Heresy, well it seems i've been bending over backwards to provide proxies for this period and no ones actually playing it, that's what happens when you don't know your customer base and what they are playing. Never realised HH was not being played in the UK at the time I started doing proxies for this there was a lot of activity here around the period but as you guys are saying it looks like that particular sub group has moved to Oz ha. Oh well at least I tried even though everyone has moved on, if an official list for the UK scene could be devised i'd be most happy as I may sell some of this mountain of elites vehicles. :)

It is true that the epic community in particular has fractured and splintered off hugely and there is considerably less traffic on this site these days but that's the nature of the beast I suppose once the original company no longer support an official current rule set.

I'm looking to push my vehicle range out towards other more generic sci fi games such as Horizon Wars and Polyversal as my stuff may be better received for games that you can generate your own vehicles and stats for.

The 15 and 28mm ben is working on will continue to see new additions plus i'll be stocking onslaughts other scale items as well these new scales should help with overall monthly orders quota and may bring in new blood to the 6mm scene to with luck.

Many thanks for all the comments, criticism and advice guys this was exactly what I needed to re-direct my business plan and hopefully move vanguard on to greater things.

Regards John

PS. Please feel free to tell me what models your looking to have created to fill gaps in existing army lists i'm open to suggestions and if you don't tell me i'll never know. ;)

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@ Malika, yes mate i've got that one ongoing the printers did the wrong version of the hull so i've had to get the correct one done hence the delay.

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

moredakka wrote:
Loads of replies since yesterday thanks people I'll try to respond to as many as I can. First the truck, it's funny but I thought it a little small from my perspective, have you ever stood next to a modern military truck I have and they are huge. My model is about right if scaled next to an infantry figure I do like it to look like the figures could actually fit inside the cab also the tractor variant is a tow vehicle for the artillery pieces any smaller and it would look underpowered. Conversly I found onslaughts limo to be way to small for my tastes it's more 1/285 scale than the 6mm we have in europe but well that's just my view.

You are of course right in everything you say. Heavy artillery tractors are usually massively huge compared to anything else, though, so if you make the same base for both applications, I can see it does get big. DiD inf is also way bigger than what I would like. I am holding on to the old "6mm++sortof" minis of GW, mostly since I am not likely to invest the time painting up full new 8mm armies, however nice they might be. And I did mention that Onslaught pretty small, though in my subjective taste they mingle more effortlessly with legacy stuff.[/quote]

moredakka wrote:
I'm looking to push my vehicle range out towards other more generic sci fi games such as Horizon Wars and Polyversal as my stuff may be better received for games that you can generate your own vehicles and stats for. The 15 and 28mm ben is working on will continue to see new additions plus i'll be stocking onslaughts other scale items as well these new scales should help with overall monthly orders quota and may bring in new blood to the 6mm scene to with luck.

Good plan, fingers crossed.

moredakka wrote:
PS. Please feel free to tell me what models your looking to have created to fill gaps in existing army lists i'm open to suggestions and if you don't tell me i'll never know. ;)

I know you had an excellent initiative a while back that seems to have pointed you in the wrong direction, and regrettably I may not be a huge buyer either. But since you ask ;)

For me, it's some kind of sleek heavy hovertank with a nice transportal projection mechanism that is missing. I could probably design my own and try out shapeways if I really needed it that much. Such a tank hull could of course be fitted with various turrets, saving on the designcost while maximizing proxy coverage.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:24 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

If you were to consider a rescaled APC and related vehicles at some point possibly maybe.... I would kit out my half-chapter of marines and probably all my chaos forces (spiky add-ons?) with them wholesale, I honestly don't think I would be alone feeling this way given the other feedback in the thread so far.... It's just a suggestion and I'm well aware of the prototyping and moulding costs but maybe it's worth grasping the thorn now if you'd increase your customer base? What do others think?

Heck I'd back a modest kickstarter to help with the upfront costs of such an endeavour....

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

Last edited by kyussinchains on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So to make the vehicles small like the original Epic models?

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/bitsblitz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:44 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I don't know about small per se... (The M113 carries 11 and is 8x8x15 feet which is similar to the 6mm rhino dimensions but I digress....) but matching the size of similar models which are widely available means they can be mixed in to existing collections more feasibly, I love the design of the Trojan and would love to incorporate some into my existing forces (I mean seriously I can visualise dozens of them in Imperial Fists colours and it makes me so happy...) but right now they're just too big for my tastes...

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
(The M113 carries 11 and is 8x8x15 feet which is similar to the 6mm rhino dimensions...

Those 11 guys aren't wearing power armour, though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

AxelFendersson wrote:
kyussinchains wrote:
(The M113 carries 11 and is 8x8x15 feet which is similar to the 6mm rhino dimensions...

Those 11 guys aren't wearing power armour, though.

They aren't 8 feet tall either. :)

But yes i'm hearing what your saying it's something to consider at least.

The rhino's always been far to small to transport 10 7 to 8 foot tall super human soldiers dressed in massively bulky armour with a huge back pack and guns the size of cannons.

Take a look at FW's damocles model and particularly the two guys inside and then tell me 10 such guys can fit in it's not feasable but I digress.

So then re-scale everything ok i'll think on it at least for some items. But how about everyone else here would they be interested in the idea and if so would there be enough to justify the expense i'm not sure there would be.

Anyway thanks for the view point it's all going into the pot for future reference.

Cheers

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I just want to point out that Reaper CAV does "6mm" and TruScale vehicles in their line. Now grantd Reaper has a bigger bank account [likely] ;)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@ Nitpick, which initiative do you refer to please?

Oh and yes the eloi will be getting some love this year, we did start on a jetbike but that stalled due to to many opinions on how it should look but it will be resurected soon.

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
I just want to point out that Reaper CAV does "6mm" and TruScale vehicles in their line. Now grantd Reaper has a bigger bank account [likely] ;)

Jimmy so they do two sizes of the same 6mm model is that what your saying?

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

moredakka wrote:
@ Nitpick, which initiative do you refer to please?

Oh and yes the eloi will be getting some love this year, we did start on a jetbike but that stalled due to to many opinions on how it should look but it will be resurected soon.

I was referring to your early look around here to see what was most wanted.

Will watch eloi heavies with interest. They do lack some teleport infantry that power gamers seem interested in too...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next